The Chopper Predator is such a waste of a cool design

Started by ChanceVance, Nov 04, 2021, 12:20:45 PM

Author
The Chopper Predator is such a waste of a cool design (Read 15,298 times)

ChanceVance

In all the films and at least the games I have played, he is the only Predator to wield those mounted arm blades but he never gets to use them. I wish they could have been seen in action.

The skulls are a nice touch. I don't need to know how he got them but the one Predator who literally displays his enthusiasm for hunting humans has the lowest body count. Just exists to go out like the biggest chump to make Grid xeno look good. 

It's kind of funny that AVP is made by a director who obviously loves the Xenos a lot more while Requiem is made by Predator fanboys. The end result always makes one species look bad. 

Master

I don't agree. First AvP was balanced, as much as it could have been.

SiL

Knocking off two Predators back to back after 55 minutes of waiting was such a disappointing way to get started. And then the film ended 30 minutes later.

SuperiorIronman

The worst part about all of that was that we didn't get to see every Predator in action. We know they did things on the surface but it's a little hard to tell who gets what kill. And frankly the kills are a little too close. The Celtic fight is awesome but the fight or at least Celtic's death should've been spaced a bit farther.

I'm not against Predators dying (multiple monsters is clearly setting up a body count) but we need to have them do something beforehand. Like you have these cool arm blades and we only get to see them for a hot second in the flashback. And frankly if he was to be the first Predator kill then at the least he needed to have been more prominent in fighting the human characters. At least with Hunting Grounds maybe they could say his equivalent solo continuity version is alive so we can see the blades in action. It's really a waste of a cool character design.

The Shuriken

This was me in the theaters during the whole first encounter with the Predators and Aliens.

BlueMarsalis79

We're all there with you in spirit man.

Master

Quote from: SiL on Nov 04, 2021, 08:14:02 PM
Knocking off two Predators back to back after 55 minutes of waiting was such a disappointing way to get started. And then the film ended 30 minutes later.

I think I'm getting older but my favorite part of AvP nowadays is this whole setup before first A/P encounter. I love whole first part of the movie and generally believe second half is much weaker even though have much more monster action.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: Master on Nov 06, 2021, 05:58:57 PM
I think I'm getting older but my favorite part of AvP nowadays is this whole setup before first A/P encounter. I love whole first part of the movie and generally believe second half is much weaker even though have much more monster action.

Agreed. In fact I'd say it has a solid first two acts, and really only falters in the third, which feels rushed and overly reliant on suits that don't hold up to the level of exposure they're given. The fight with the queen on the surface redeems it somewhat though.

I've never been troubled by how quickly the first two predators bit the dust either. This was their first encounter with the aliens, and between having their shoulder cannons stolen and the usual measure of arrogance in their behaviour, the odds were against them. If things went too far the other way the aliens would be reduced to fodder, which is also not a good thing. Scar demonstrated how well a predator can hold its own against a hive when it keeps it wits about it (opportunistic facehugging aside).

The idea that the design is somehow "wasted" is nonsense anyway. Future instalments are free to reuse the mask and/or arm blades and use them however they like.

ChanceVance

ChanceVance

Quote from: The Necronoir on Nov 07, 2021, 04:17:38 AM
The idea that the design is somehow "wasted" is nonsense anyway. Future instalments are free to reuse the mask and/or arm blades and use them however they like.

Fine I'll rephrase it. Considering he had cool weapons not previously seen on Predators before, it is disappointing the Chopper Predator did not partake in any action sequences during the film. 

Is that less nonsense for you?

When you put it that way, the first hall of AVP is good, has mystery and intrigue. Predators on an unknown mission, ancient pyramids hiding Xeno Queens. Then the action actually begins and it's all downhill. 

Same thing with Predators. The best part of the movie is the set up to finding out they're on an alien planet and the appearance of the Predators. Once they actually show up followed by Morpheus, the film declines from there.

SiL

I find the first two thirds of AvP drag their feet on scenes of exposition that don't actually move the story forward, character scenes that don't actually develop characters, or pointless fakeouts. It's Anderson confusing taking a long time with building tension.

The Necronoir

Quote from: ChanceVance on Nov 07, 2021, 11:31:08 AM

Fine I'll rephrase it. Considering he had cool weapons not previously seen on Predators before, it is disappointing the Chopper Predator did not partake in any action sequences during the film. 

Yes, wasted opportunity. Not a wasted design yet, though it's definitely potential that hasn't been put to use.

Quote from: SiL on Nov 07, 2021, 11:59:28 AM
I find the first two thirds of AvP drag their feet on scenes of exposition that don't actually move the story forward, character scenes that don't actually develop characters, or pointless fakeouts. It's Anderson confusing taking a long time with building tension.

I'm inclined to cut him some slack. He plays with our expectations as the audience, definitely. He's also burdened somewhat with getting the characters to a point where they can believably grasp exactly what they've gotten themselves into, while we as the audience know most of it from the title. It might come across as tedious, but then we have Prometheus to show what happens when you don't pay any heed to organic character development. I'd argue that AVP achieves more interesting characterisation with essentially the same premise and plot beats.

Master

Quote from: ChanceVance on Nov 07, 2021, 11:31:08 AM

When you put it that way, the first hall of AVP is good, has mystery and intrigue. Predators on an unknown mission, ancient pyramids hiding Xeno Queens. Then the action actually begins and it's all downhill. 

Same thing with Predators. The best part of the movie is the set up to finding out they're on an alien planet and the appearance of the Predators. Once they actually show up followed by Morpheus, the film declines from there.

Yes! Yes, my thoughts exactly.  After hunting camp the film significantly loses it's footing.

SiL

Quote from: The Necronoir on Nov 07, 2021, 02:18:52 PM
I'm inclined to cut him some slack. He plays with our expectations as the audience, definitely. He's also burdened somewhat with getting the characters to a point where they can believably grasp exactly what they've gotten themselves into, while we as the audience know most of it from the title. It might come across as tedious, but then we have Prometheus to show what happens when you don't pay any heed to organic character development. I'd argue that AVP achieves more interesting characterisation with essentially the same premise and plot beats.
There's nothing terribly realistic or organic about AvP's characters (and this is the first time in 17 years I've seen anyone call them interesting). The problem is they don't develop despite spending almost an hour with them.

The plot sort of just happens to them and they have an epiphany and move on. Most characters are exactly the same when they die as when we meet them, with no greater understanding of them in between. Weyland is the only person we get anything resembling depth with.

It's 55 minutes of time spent going ultimately nowhere.

PsyKore

Quote from: SiL on Nov 07, 2021, 08:01:27 PM
Quote from: The Necronoir on Nov 07, 2021, 02:18:52 PM
There's nothing terribly realistic or organic about AvP's characters (and this is the first time in 17 years I've seen anyone call them interesting). The problem is they don't develop despite spending almost an hour with them.

The plot sort of just happens to them and they have an epiphany and move on. Most characters are exactly the same when they die as when we meet them, with no greater understanding of them in between. Weyland is the only person we get anything resembling depth with.

It's 55 minutes of time spent going ultimately nowhere.

What about the character with the picture of his kids?  :P

SiL

So memorable you can't remember his name :laugh:

Miller gets his moment to show he's not a complete wimp, sure. But that comes after the shit hits the fan.

And two out of however many characters ain't great  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed