Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 220,909 times)

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: Uncanny Psycho on Feb 13, 2013, 08:26:33 PM
Quote from: Elicas on Feb 13, 2013, 07:41:13 PM
Quote from: Effectz on Feb 13, 2013, 07:29:14 PM
I have it on pc all on highest setting.the game looks out dated and plays like a piece of shit.

This man speaketh the truth.

Some fans have such an Aliens hardon, they need the game to be good, so they'll convince themselves otherwise.

Actually I doubted this game from the start.. im starting to realize maybe my hopes were nowhere near as high as everyone else hence why I truly don't mind it!

I believe many people are reacting differently and this may be cause by a thousand things.
Expectation play its part (many sure thought that the game was going to kick ass).
But for some Others it doesn't (in my case I knew this game was going to be a catastrophe, I figured it is even worse after release :D ).

The problem mainly come from the Communication Gearbox had.
First of all, we haven't heard a word from SEGA on anything.
It was always Randy saying things blablablabla ALIENS fan blablabla.

Secondly, we've not heard a lot of words from Outsourcing studios.
What do they have to say about their game? Why the communication tried to hide sooooo much?

Third and last thing, Why in first place Gearbox ONLY tried to sell this game by pretending it as a sequel to ALIENS?
Wouldn't it have been better to talk about mechanic rather than actual things from the film you'll see in the game? We can guess that, we don't need someone to tell us that we will have a Motion tracker when every Aliens game have one.

cursedMonk

cursedMonk

Quote from: Uncanny Psycho on Feb 13, 2013, 08:26:33 PM
Actually I doubted this game from the start.. im starting to realize maybe my hopes were nowhere near as high as everyone else hence why I truly don't mind it!

I think that was my sentiments. I'm not giving gearbox (or whom ever dev team they outsourced the core game mechanics at) a pass, but too be honest im suprised it even got published in the first place. 

Here is another interesting question, if this had been a kickstart project, same game, same price, I think most people would be a little more forgiving and alot less bitchy. Would you play it, regardless of source, thats the question? Honestly.

I would, but then again you already know that from my last post.

Is this a subpar offering from a big company that marketed the shit out of what they knew would be a financial DOA from joe public given its release state: yes.

Is this game so broken that not one soul on this rock can enjoy it: no, its not that bad. Not in my opinion.

I guess its up to you what your money/time/expectations are worth and i'm not lambasting anyone who wants there cash back or never want to play. Like I said, its been enjoyable to me, I've seen much worse, and I've spent more money on a movie and dinner with much less bang for my buck.

For most if not all its a rental. I bought because I wanted now and because I wanted to play on pc. Will I be playing in 2 months, probably not, but then again I usually play games like these for a month max anyway unless the mp is really good.

My worthless 2 cents I guess.

MasCot

MasCot

Just finished playing. Oh boy.

I haven't played any video games since the 2008 Force Unleashed on the Wii, I had reasonable hope that this would be a decent game. I loved the hell out of AvP and AvP2, but this...

My conclusions? The game is not finished, it's as simple as that. I'll do the pro&contra thing.

Pros:
- the sound effects were good
- I played the game in French and as far as I can tell from trailers, the French voice actors did a better job than the Americans, I like the voices
- the level with the zombified aliens was kinda creepy
- the Easter Eggs

Contras:
- I liked the designs on the Sulaco and LV-426, but it got a little monotone over time
- I'm not obsessed with graphics, but the quality difference between the Demo footage and the actual game is quite shocking
- the game was never scary! AvP used to scare the s**t out of me. Or how about Half-Life, the non-Alien Alien game? We are living in 2013 and this is what we've got from Gearbox?
- the aliens were too easy to defeat, even the Crusher
- the Engineer ship looked decent, but it was ruined by...
- swarms of Weyland-Yutani mercenaries! huh? what? I think I killed a whole army of them, and boy, were they idiotic!
- the most underwhelming final boss battle! again, did the developers play Avp?

The biggest con: the story.
Spoiler
Hicks???? What? This doesn't make sense! The Derelict is still intact? Then why did the W-Y need Ripley in Alien3?
[close]

Placing this whole game on LV-426 was a mistake IMO. Instead of making Alien3 a 'better film', it just messed it up even further. Whatever happened to this?

How would I rate this game?

3/10.

'Cause I liked the sounds and most of the desings.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Bugnubbinz on Feb 13, 2013, 05:18:06 AM
No true fan will should be disappointed.
What a load.

And stuff

And stuff

Quote from: Bugnubbinz on Feb 13, 2013, 05:18:06 AM
No true fan will should be disappointed.

It's the true fans who are most likely to be let down by this.

Speedy_J

Speedy_J

For me, this game is good...But there's room for improvement.

Alien³

Alien³

Playing it now and totally in love. :D

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Done playing SP and MP. Here it goes.

Pros

- Certain levels had that Aliens feel to it which was great (Sulaco and Hadley's Hope were my favorites). I really enjoyed exploring the ravaged colony and fending off aliens in the Hadley's Hope level.
- Loved using the motion tracker (once I turned off the alerting icon on the bottom in the settings). Use it too long and you're dead (more MP than SP) Useful during the SP to figure out where the Weyland-Yutani mercs were at when holed up.
- I liked the variety of weapons not seen in the films but created for the game (SMG, Assault Rifle, etc) and the old weapons themselves
- Easter eggs all over the SP that were nods to the film and I had fun finding them
- The music score is fabulous
- Sound was pretty good (aliens shrieking and weapon sounds were solid)
- Weapons and appearance upgrades/customization were not too shabby

Cons (this is where it all falls apart)

- GRAPHICS. We all know that I have been defending the gameplay > graphics mindset that I have, but Jesus Christ. This engine has to be a few years, minimum, out of date. I mean, holy crap. Can anyone verify or not if it looks better on PC? It's looks awful on my Xbox 360. It's one thing to sacrifice graphics for gameplay but this almost a joke. I would argue Halo 3 has better graphics and that is a game is from 2006, 2007?
- Gameplay. While not a complete and utter failure, the game is not as smooth as it needs to be. This was evidenced big time when I was in a boss fight with a large, charging aliens and I could not run out of the way fast enough and died at least 12 times because I could not get out of the way fast enough. Aiming mechanics seemed a little off at times when I was firefighting with enemies as well. AI is really poor as well, for everything (aliens, mercs, other marines). I thought people were judging really harshly but they were right. It was THAT bad.
- Story. Complete joke. Wasn't the dude from Battlestar Galactica hired to pen a decent story? It felt like it was put together in 30 minutes. I mean, sure, it was nice to see a certain marine alive and well. But the story was very vague. I get that they left it open for a sequel and all but wow. Halo 4's story was not earth shattering but it was at least somewhat deep and detailed. This was really bad and Gearbox fumbled the ball here.
- Glitches. Yes, most games have them and I get that. My issue is that it seems the game was not 100% finished. I won't list all the glitches because most people named them already but it is definitely buggy. Patches will iron most of these issues out I am sure.
- Erratic MP play. While playing as the alien I would swap and claw away at marines and they would not go down. Maybe there are some battle damage issues that need to be fixed. Besides that the marine side has not been so bad. I find myself getting kills much easier on the marine side than the alien side. But the difference was that as an alien I could do almost NOTHING right.
- Challenges have to be done in order. Who the f**k made that call? How stupid is that?

I am VERY letdown by this effort from SEGA and Gearbox. It sucks that SEGA has control of the series and don't give a shit except for taking money off of us fans. I mean, I thought AVP 2010 was painfully average and was hoping for some redemption with this game. I won't get it. This game is in the exact boat as AVP 2010. So-so SP and decent, fun, but not exceptional MP play that you find in AAA titles now (Halo, Battlefield, Call of Duty)

Final score out of 10? Same as what I would argue giving AVP 2010. A 6. A very average, run of the mill 6.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Y'know Hudson, i'm actually pretty shocked. I was certain you were going to be among those incredibly forgiving of the game. Almost 99% certain of that. Glad to see you're more objective than I thought, and I salute you on that.

DB

DB

Quote from: ikarop on Feb 12, 2013, 09:43:13 PMI'm sort of impressed that this whole boiler thing has become an actual meme.

Do we make a collection?

Bros, don't be sad. If anything, enjoy the delicious tears across the internet. Revel in the world burning around you. Because you know what? All that butthurt means only one thing: people care about Aliens. They remember. They love this ancient series and remember how it felt to see Ripley climb into a powerloader to face the Devil's mother. They remember what it felt to check under their beds before going to sleep right after watching Alien. It is because they remember that they QQ. Our Alien is still much beloved, and he is not yet a corpse. They are also 60 bucks poorer but that's not the point.

And one day, just maybe, a hero will rise. He is the hero we deserve, but will become the hero we need right now. We'll tear down these bad games, because Aliens can take it. Because Aliens isn't just a movie. It's an inspiration for all science-fiction. It is the muse that was ripped off influenced the marines in Halo. The Tyranids of 40k. The monstrous Zerg. The law of "all dropship pilots must be women". Sil from Species. BRO marines. "Stay frosty" everywhere. A creative vision will one day find Aliens. That time, it will be war.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Only thing I hope for at this point is strong sales despite the poor reception. It maybe, MAYBE, would force SEGA to get a real developer.

Or, they could just make more shitty games and force feed them down our throats.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: DB on Feb 13, 2013, 11:20:27 PM
Bros, don't be sad. If anything, enjoy the delicious tears across the internet. Revel in the world burning around you. Because you know what? All that butthurt means only one thing: people care about Aliens. They remember. They love this ancient series and remember how it felt to see Ripley climb into a powerloader to face the Devil's mother. They remember what it felt to check under their beds before going to sleep right after watching Alien. It is because they remember that they QQ. Our Alien is still much beloved, and he is not yet a corpse. They are also 60 bucks poorer but that's not the point.

And one day, just maybe, a hero will rise. He is the hero we deserve, but will become the hero we need right now. We'll tear down these bad games, because Aliens can take it. Because Aliens isn't just a movie. It's an inspiration for all science-fiction. It is the muse that was ripped off influenced the marines in Halo. The Tyranids of 40k. The monstrous Zerg. The law of "all dropship pilots must be women". Sil from Species. BRO marines. "Stay frosty" everywhere. A creative vision will one day find Aliens. That time, it will be war.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/Deathbite/firemans-tears.jpg

Exactly. Although I'm throughly enjoying A:CM so am I winning?

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

I doubbt sales will be above average, or even average, I went in the supermarket today, and it still hadn't been put on the shelves, and I asked a mate of mine if he had picked it up and he hadn't even heard of the game, and he is an average gamer and is even a fan of the films

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Quote from: MrBrokenTusks. on Feb 13, 2013, 11:37:43 PM
I doubbt sales will be above average, or even average, I went in the supermarket today, and it still hadn't been put on the shelves, and I asked a mate of mine if he had picked it up and he hadn't even heard of the game, and he is an average gamer and is even a fan of the films

My local gamestop and wal mart have not sold many at all which there are a ton sitting on there shelfs.  Also when I cancelled my preorder I was one of many to do it according to the guy at game stop.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: chrisr232007 on Feb 13, 2013, 11:41:20 PM
Also when I cancelled my preorder I was one of many to do it according to the guy at game stop.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you cancel your pre-order?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed