Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 221,231 times)

cursedMonk

cursedMonk

I'm downloading now. I figured "what the hell". I have bought the Blu Ray SPE (didn't care to own 4 but it came with the package) -> DVD SPE 1-3 -> Laser Disk SPE 1-3-> and Dubbed the VHS SPE, i've owned every game for just about every console/pc I ever owned all the way back to jaquar days. Its been a few years, cant escape the urge for new aliens adventures. I also figure, im a programmer, maybe I can mod the things I don't like. Most of the avp games werent too stellar till the mod community hit it.

Will post review after 2 hours of game play (5 total hours according to everyone, fine im ok with that. i'm going to start on bad ass).

Like I said, im an avid fan, and like mp. Im cool if the story is crap...almost every alien game seems to have a crap story.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I have people saying that this game is the Sonic '06 of the Alien franchise. I admit that its not a great or good game, but I don't think its nowhere near the level of that awful piece of crap in my opinion.

And stuff

And stuff

Quote from: Dusk on Feb 13, 2013, 05:54:30 AM
Already got in trouble because of piracy. Lesson learned.

The lesson should've been to get better at it..  Now we're one down in the fight. :-\

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Dusk on Feb 13, 2013, 05:50:18 AM
I still haven't played this game. I'm waiting for the price to go way, way down. But AvP was clunky? I'm currently playing the game again and think that everything Rebellion did was pretty solid. IMO, everything is in place. The only reason the game sucked was because the story was so utterly lackluster.

Playing as the marines wad very stiff with little manoeuvrability. MP IS aactually fun in CM purely because there's much less bullshit. The alien combat works albeit with sone exaggerated moves. The reason the game sucked was because it had a terrible campaign and MP was completely useless. The melee combat system was a shambles and I'm glad it's nearly impossible to knock an alien back in CM MP.

Quote from: And stuff on Feb 13, 2013, 06:04:41 AM
Quote from: Dusk on Feb 13, 2013, 05:54:30 AM
Already got in trouble because of piracy. Lesson learned.

The lesson should've been to get better at it..  Now we're one down in the fight. :-\

iracy is what is making the entertainment sector go down the shitter. Have some respect for the many thousands of people who put a lot of time and effort into making games, films and music.

Dusk

Dusk

I can really wait before I'll get this game. Heck, by the sound of it, it might not be too long before it becomes a $10 bargain bin title. I'm seriously in no rush, especially since the majority of the game apparently wasn't developed by Gearbox anyway.

Vepariga

Vepariga

Thank god they brang out that update patch. It actually makes a load of difference. I'm still dissappointed with it but Its still a fun and decent title,just not the one we all hoped it was.

But im enjoying the multiplayer alot,thats where its at! its hard too lol

ParkerAndBrett

ParkerAndBrett

I am 2 hrs plus into the campaign at this point, and I feel that this game is getting the shaft.
Any console player who bitches about these graphics and then goes out and plays Halo Reach should be ashamed. Reach convinced me to get a completely new xbox and HDTV and it still sucked ass in the graphical component.
The Xeno AI is dumb, I admit, but I have found it no worse for wear than AVP2010.
The lurker is very nice, and I like the fact that they seperated the giger alien from the cameron alien.
I have enjoyed the WY AI opponents and I don't care if you disagree. I have had no hair pulling moments in dying as I have had in COD4, MW2, BO, MW3, BO2, BF3 and Halo Reach. Stick your head out without cover and kneeling, you die. No cheap gernades, no bs explosions. 
The motion tracker is superior in this game. As a fan of the movies I enjoy its not a part of the HUD. Welcome addition.

Alien fans need to chill, FPS fans need to get off their ritalin and stop being halo/COD slaves.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: ParkerAndBrett on Feb 13, 2013, 06:35:22 AM
I am 2 hrs plus into the campaign at this point, and I feel that this game is getting the shaft.
Any console player who bitches about these graphics and then goes out and plays Halo Reach should be ashamed. Reach convinced me to get a completely new xbox and HDTV and it still sucked ass in the graphical component.
The Xeno AI is dumb, I admit, but I have found it no worse for wear than AVP2010.
The lurker is very nice, and I like the fact that they seperated the giger alien from the cameron alien.
I have enjoyed the WY AI opponents and I don't care if you disagree. I have had no hair pulling moments in dying as I have had in COD4, MW2, BO, MW3, BO2, BF3 and Halo Reach. Stick your head out without cover and kneeling, you die. No cheap gernades, no bs explosions. 
The motion tracker is superior in this game. As a fan of the movies I enjoy its not a part of the HUD. Welcome addition.

Alien fans need to chill, FPS fans need to get off their ritalin and stop being halo/COD slaves.

Can't beat a good angry review. I agree wwith pretty much everything you said

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Hey, I've thought of something nice to say about the AI--!

Their callouts are usually very accurate, quick, and even useful.

Anonymous684

Anonymous684

Quote from: Vepariga on Feb 13, 2013, 06:25:39 AM
Thank god they brang out that update patch. It actually makes a load of difference. I'm still dissappointed with it but Its still a fun and decent title,just not the one we all hoped it was.

But im enjoying the multiplayer alot,thats where its at! its hard too lol

like i said earlier, expect patches this week! im confident they will fix the AI and other small things. `

other problems like people not liking the campaign... i cant but into that.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

So far I'm really enjoying the game, I'll start off with that.
I'll also try to make this as spoiler free as possible.

The Good
Accuracy: The look of the marines is spot on, as are most of the weapons and the weapon sounds.
O'Neil: I love this guy. Who ever did his voice acting did a great job IMO
The single player is pretty engaging, its not up there with Halo or GoW engaging but I think its a step above COD and the like.
The graphics on the character models and most of the environments are pretty good, the character movements seem pretty fluid as well. Not to many hiccups, though there are some.
Aliens: They do act like the Aliens in the film, they hurl them selves at you and the marines. Some people said this was bad and made them stupid, but its pretty film accurate, albeit there's no power for them to cut.
Legendary weapons: I've enjoyed the ones I've found so far, although at least one of them should be nonexistent. The idea is cool.
Allies: You almost always have a buddy. I hate games that make you lone wolf it out, it was the main thing I didn't really like about AVP2010. I like me some allies.

The Bad
Wey-Yu mercs. It wasn't nessesary for them to be on more then one or two levels imo. Its an Aliens game, I want to kill Aliens.
A better graphics engine would have been nice. I'm spoiled by things like Halo 4 and Bf3, and I know I said the graphics weren't as bad as everyone says, but there's always room for improvement.
Not enough allied bots: I like cannon fodder bots, the game that had these kind of bots the best was the Halo series (1- reach). There's no emotional connection to them, yet you kind of start to form that. I like when my allies follow me and theres the risk of them dying. This game could have benefited from Halo style allies.
Atmosphere: it was almost there, just a smidgeon away from being complete, but there wasn't any real sense of urgency in the game, I want to feel like I could die at any moment.
Vent/Floor pull throughs: What happened to this? I was so excited for this it wasn't even funny.

THE BIGGEST LET DOWN'S (for me)
The Crusher: He seemed so small compared to the E3 demo. It was like fighting a bull dog to be completely honest. The Raven was for more intimidating, the Crusher was just very, VERY puny and lack luster. It was one of the most pathetic things to fight in terms of a boss, the only thing I thought was worse than this was the Prophet of Regret in Halo 2.

Hudson's Pulse Rifle: The thing is burst fire. I don't mean good burst fire like BC2 or BF3, I mean the burst fire that takes 2 or 3 bursts to kill something on recruit and hurts your finger in the process. I love the look of this rifle of the default one, even down to the iron sights, but the burst fire really pisses me off because it's something gearbox had to go out of their way to mess up. Ripley's pulse rifle is full auto, further making it a big middle finger that Hudson's isn't.

For an average gamer who doesn't really care about the franchise I'd give this game a 5/10 maybe a 6 if you really like sci fi shooters.
For a fan of the franchise I'd give it a 7/10, or an 8 if graphics aren't a big deal for you. It wasn't really for me, they where good where it counted.

Nightlord

Nightlord

Average game is average.

Campaign was boring, like a sightseeing tour where all the sights are cheap imatations of the real things.
Ulitmate badass may as well have the default mode it was so easy, and the story ( ::)) was a true masterclass in fanwank.

The multiplayer is somewhat redeemable, except the two best modes, escape and survivor completely f**k over the aliens with a nerf bat, friendly fire needs to be turned off for those marine flamer and grenade spamming c**tbags.

The third person camera is a f**king failure and the wallwalk can sometimes end up with your alien spazzing out on the walls like he's having a fit,  hilarious to watch until it messes up your game and you get killed because every marine sees this spastic alien flying all over the place like he's got a bullseye on him.

Everyone seems to know how technically bad this game is so yeah no full version of the game here just another alpha like everyone else.

Best thing in the game is the Spaceballs reference.

[T)A]DarkDragon

[T)A]DarkDragon

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 13, 2013, 04:40:25 AM
Quote from: [T)A]DarkDragon on Feb 13, 2013, 04:34:23 AM
Quote from: Mister T on Feb 13, 2013, 12:26:16 AM
we were led to believe that it would be "canon" to the film and "a true sequel."

you believed that?

That's not really the point is it?

Why do we let game developers off the hook for that kind of crap? Would you let someone sell you a lemon of a car after hyping it up to you? You get it out of the dealership and breaks down, even though he told you it was in excellent shape with only a few miles on it. You're gonna drive back there and tear him a new a**hole, right?

oh i know, i was just giving you shit lol.

the moment that piece of shit randy pitchford called this game "cannon/true sequel" i knew it was going to be bullshit. and ive been saying that on these forums since.
every video about colonial marines had his face on it, smiling, talking out of his ass.

even funnier gearbox tried to blame this mess on timegate studios. from what i gathered they only had part in the multiplayer, which is the better part of this game.

this is probably the worst video game release in quiet some time. this honestly may be the final blow to the alien series.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Uncanny Psycho on Feb 13, 2013, 12:56:30 AM
People are being WAYYYYYYYYY to over critical. What the f**k were people expecting the next BIG THING! Its exactly how it was marketed out to be..... People complain to complain. ITS NOT THAT BAD!

Mark my words in a weeks time there will be a patch out for some side textures and AI boost!

Pretty much my exact feelings.

I am enjoying it, plain and simple. The cycle of "its cool to hate" hate has taken an unnecessary bite out of this game. It's not like if you don't like CoD you can turn to Battlefield or Vice versa; there are no other Alien games on the market. Sure, it has its problems (most of which can be patched) but it's not nearly the horror show people describe it as. I am enjoying it more than AvP3 thats for sure.

And stuff

And stuff

iracy is what is making the entertainment sector go down the shitter.

No, money is.  Cheap, fast money.  And the assholes who buy it up just because someone tells them it's the right thing to do are only making it easier for them to put out sub-par material.  As a community, we need to show the people who put this shit out that we wont buy garbage just because it's wrapped in a pretty bow.  Take some responsibility.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed