Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 221,161 times)

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Okay, so let me just repeat the obvious and say that these graphics are almost comical. :laugh: No, shit, they are comical. I mean, I'm on Xbox and they're sub Indie-game status at times.. But once you start playing the game, you suddenly stop giving a f**k about them lol. At least I did, because the gameplay was just fun.

I'm only playing multiplayer, though.. so I'm sure there are a lot of things I'm not getting with the campaign..

It kind of feels like Aliens, but serious 13-year-old-boy status Aliens. :laugh: It's Durrrr, but damn I still enjoy it. The multiplayer combines addictive, fast, and variable gameplay with lots of customization (at least I think, at this point?) and I think (f**king read: HOOOPE) it will keep people playing.

Sorry not much of a review, I'm just really enjoying the aspect of the game I was most looking forward to. A bit giddy, after all of the doom. Even if the campaign pisses me off, I'm going to have some fun with this MP before she goes' *plays sad harmonica*

SAWolf

SAWolf

I hope they do a remake of this game with the AVP 2010 engine  :o

Aceburster

Aceburster

First impressions. Played it for about 2 hours. Started it and continuing to play on badass difficulty.

The graphics could be better and ive seen some goofiness like the players arm vanish during the umbilical section as well as xenos glitching through the floor pointing the wrong direction. Dont really care about it though because the mood is good and its got style, as well as being accurate to the movie.The game is waaaay dark so far though. Not such a bad thing from a suspense point of view but its so dark i cant see enemies, cooridoors, my teamates or anything else half the time just blurs and flickers. My solution is to just wait for the melee icon to appear and start mashing buttons in most cases. It works and I live lol

Ran into an issue early on when I picked up Hicks shotgn and promptly died. Unless i missed a prompt, I had no idea i still had other weapons in my inventory and spent about a half hour trudging through a section with two shotguns. In most games this isnt a problem but in Colonial Marines the shotgun is awful. Mostly its because there is no spread whatsoever and the gun doesnt point at the same direction it is firing. I actually had to get a red dot scope for a shotgun in order to use it...

I dont mind so much that I have no idea how much ammo I have though I thought they were putting in a button to look at the ammo display for the guns but I dont see it in the controls. Whats aggrivating me is that I have no idea if/how many grenades I have or if/how much body armor I have or even if it is being effective, sometimes I die in one hit and sometimes I die in 5. I kinda like it but its still a little frustrating. I did have to remap my F and G keys because i would try to launch a grenade and hit the wrong key... just staring down xenos with a nade in my hand.

I was impressed with the ai in places actually, the npc teamate just blocks my aim but the enemies are sometimes smart. The first lurker I encountered actually ran past me and I thought he went through the door but he went up the wall, dropped down behind me and got me from behind as I went looking. Could have been a random chance but I liked how the encounter went down.

The only thing that has got me bent so far is that after the first area the game has suddenly turned into every generic fps ever except my guns suck and and grenades explode on me so fast that Ive died in mid sprint being pegged by them. There doesnt seem to be any delay, if someone throws a grenade on badass difficulty its GG.

I spent my last half hour resetting my selected weapons after a fresh death (oh man thats annoying) and working my way through the first area full of combine troopers just to get blasted through cover or beaned with a grenade while waiting for an enemy to quit hiding behind crap. This is something youd expect 4/5 of the way through the game just to slow you down but I just got started!

Ive noticed that the human enemies are pretty smart and do manage to take good positions. I like that, the only issue I have is theres no answer to them other than to get lucky spamming the SHARP gun at red dots and hope nobody throws a grenade.

So far (which isnt much of the game, or at normal difficulty) its not that bad. I cant see squat and as soon as the enemies from FEAR showed up I wanted to kick my monitor in because... ITS AN ALIENS GAME... but overall id give it a 6/10 with potential.

Also: I have no idea if health regens on badass or not but when the screen stops being red it doesnt seem like I gained any life back, next shot always kills me.

Might edit/update later whenever I get past the part im stuck at.

Elicas

Elicas

Well I said 40%, which would be 55%-60% in todays inflated scores.

Looks like very few people had to inflate their score for this, it's that bad. We can discount the couple of places that gave it an 8 or a 9 (places like Forbes) or who prefaced their reviews with "I've only ever seen Prometheus out of the series before" as knowing f**k all about gaming/Aliens.

3-7 across the board, it stinks. f**king fanwank bullshit that'll go down as a worse rape of the source material then AVP or AVP:R.

Told you so. ;).

Edit: Metacritic score as of 11:00 AM GMT.

PC - 47 critic - 5.1 User.
PS3 - 50 critic - 4.4 User.
XBOX - 50 critic - 4.8 User.
WiiU - Unreleased.

Cabo Grake69

Cabo Grake69

Hi everyone.

I´ve been reading reviews for at least 2 hours, and still I dont know what Im gonna do. One thing is sure, it shouldnt be this difficult for an alien fan to decide whether or not buying the game.

I´ve been following these forums for years (I didnt  post because my english is sooo rusty). Today I cant help but ask you: Is the game as bad as it sounds? In other words, do you think alien fans (who actually liked AVP 2010) should purchase the game??? I find hard to believe the game is such a let down! I know you take alien franchise seriously, so please let me know your opinion.

Im awared this is not a fan review but I promise to write one ASAP (If you convince me to buy the game). Thanks for you replies!!!

Gazz

Gazz

I've played through three levels. The graphics are alright if unremarkable maxed out on PC but the integration of animated sequences (pressing buttons, doors, cut scenes) is jarring to say the least. I like that care has been taken to recreate a the old sets and in realising up the new, but they're wasted on the samey generic action over and over again. Overall I would say that 4 or 5 out of 10 seems about right but I have yet to finish the campaign or give the multiplayer a real go.

Ac!d4Blood

Ac!d4Blood

Its all over the net now the game blows :(

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

The game's release taught me extremely valuable life lesson - to appreciate the value of life, what we have and that we take so many things for granted. Now I infinitesimally appreciate what Rebellion did in 2010.

WinterActual

WinterActual

AvP '10 = GOTY MATERIAL!

I think SEGA will probably cancel the Wii-U version.

EEV2650

EEV2650

Goog God, I'm overcome with nothing but negativity for this game. Every review I'm reading, be it professional or amature reviewers is negative. I am starting too wish I had waited and got this game on the cheap the same way I did with AVP2010.

I'll pick up my pre-ordered copy today but I probably won't have a chance to play it till tommorow. I'm already depressed.

The Runner

The Runner

Was playing AVP 2010 Single Player Survivour, and boy, the aliens actually....hmmm you know, act like aliens.

teras

teras

Quote from: Cabo Grake69 on Feb 12, 2013, 11:22:23 AM
Hi everyone.

I´ve been reading reviews for at least 2 hours, and still I dont know what Im gonna do. One thing is sure, it shouldnt be this difficult for an alien fan to decide whether or not buying the game.

I´ve been following these forums for years (I didnt  post because my english is sooo rusty). Today I cant help but ask you: Is the game as bad as it sounds? In other words, do you think alien fans (who actually liked AVP 2010) should purchase the game??? I find hard to believe the game is such a let down! I know you take alien franchise seriously, so please let me know your opinion.

Im awared this is not a fan review but I promise to write one ASAP (If you convince me to buy the game). Thanks for you replies!!!

If you liked AVP 2010 and you can get it for the PC, then go ahead.
There is enjoyment to get out of this and I think that it is better than AVP 2010 (although others disagree).
Beware though that you have to keep your expectations low and just play it for mindless fun. No canon, no AAA material. Just an "unknown" mediocre uneven game that in some parts reminds you of Aliens.

Although I personally would have prefered not to give GBX and Sega more profit by purchasing, because honestly they don't deserve it. GBX is now officially on my boycott list, right next to Bethesda!

Vepariga

Vepariga

Just been playing some Campaign. Its decent,gameplay is solid but I have had a few glitches and odditys now and then,bit of clipping issues,some parts it made me feel like im playing a BETA version. Like everyone has said Graphics could be alot better,like they just used low res textures on everything...It is Sega/Gearbox after all. A.I is abit dumb lol and I find some of the Marines actions to be abit corn ball too,like at the start why the hell would you pop a grenade in the docking bridge is beyond me. but its fun for the most part and thats whats important.

Going to jump into the multiplayer tomorrow.

teras

teras

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 12, 2013, 09:15:57 AM
Okay, so let me just repeat the obvious and say that these graphics are almost comical. :laugh: No, shit, they are comical. I mean, I'm on Xbox and they're sub Indie-game status at times.. But once you start playing the game, you suddenly stop giving a f**k about them lol. At least I did, because the gameplay was just fun.

I'm only playing multiplayer, though.. so I'm sure there are a lot of things I'm not getting with the campaign..

It kind of feels like Aliens, but serious 13-year-old-boy status Aliens. :laugh: It's Durrrr, but damn I still enjoy it. The multiplayer combines addictive, fast, and variable gameplay with lots of customization (at least I think, at this point?) and I think (f**king read: HOOOPE) it will keep people playing.

Sorry not much of a review, I'm just really enjoying the aspect of the game I was most looking forward to. A bit giddy, after all of the doom. Even if the campaign pisses me off, I'm going to have some fun with this MP before she goes' *plays sad harmonica*

On a comical note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J8SzBhjqaQ#ws

WinterActual

WinterActual

Even the AI can't deal with the wallwalk. Its THAT broken :\

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed