Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 221,143 times)

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

That campaign glitch in BF3 is the only reason I dont have the achievement for beating it hardcore. Damn game wiped out my progress right before the second to last mission. Haven't touched campaign since.

Quote from: Gren_86 on Feb 11, 2013, 10:36:09 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 11, 2013, 10:30:51 PM
But look at how good BF3 turned out to be after the glitches where patched. I'm not saying we should have to put up with incomplete games that need patching, but BF3 is a prime example of a game with its fair share of problems that can be fixed via patching. One of the reasons why I'm not taking the negative reviews of ACM to heart
Good point but keep in mind that BF is a huge title among gamers while ACM isn't that mainstream.

I guess I didn't take that into account, but at the same time a developer cant just release a product with out fixing atleast most of its major issues, especially if their the whole DLC season

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 11, 2013, 10:39:35 PM
I guess I didn't take that into account, but at the same time a developer cant just release a product with out fixing atleast most of its major issues, especially if their the whole DLC season

Of course they can, cut their losses and run. It looks like the majority of reviews may very well slam the game, sales could be poor, and it costs thousands of dollars to patch on PS3 and XBOX. Do one courtesy patch and run for the hills dropping it as a failed investment.

Funnily enough, I replayed the AVP10 campaign to cleanse myself from the horror of watching this games campaign. It's better animated, better told, better graphically and has better gameplay (excepting the melee combo system, that's still f**king retarded) than A:CM and you can pick it up for a fraction of the price nowadays.

The campaigns main issues from AVP10 are still prevalent in A:CM: too many human/synthetic enemies and not having enough/any marines with you (though in A:CM, i think it would be better not having them with you they are so bad) though it doesn't have all of A:CM's additional problems.

Today, I'm glad I own AVP10, and that's not something I ever thought i'd f**king say. Ever.

It's downright depressing.

Jonesy23

Jonesy23

I'm with you about AVP 2010. Sure, it had its problems and MP was a mess, but overall I really enjoyed the game a lot. I've been checking out the SP of CM and the story does seem like it's everywhere. You seem to be going from here to there for almost no reason. I still haven't noticed too many of the bugs or glitches people have been talking about except in MP where the hit detection sometimes is off.

Updated Pre-Review:
Story: 6 (weak and almost puts AVP on a pedestal)
Graphics: 7 (slightly outdated, but nothing too distracting)
Gameplay: 8 (gunplay is nice although the AI has random difficulty and MP is a blast)
Overall: 7/10

Gren_86

Gren_86

Quote from: Elicas on Feb 11, 2013, 10:47:03 PM
It's downright depressing.
It sure is, considering the possibility of having two promising games being abandoned by their fans :'(
That's why it's crucial for the MP segment to make up for all the glitches in the campaign before we get a hot fix for both SP and MP asap!

Elicas

Elicas

Last part of Leeroys walkthrough has his review, skip the first 4 minutes for spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9kQPK8pRrY#ws

4:10 is his review.

AI - 4.5/10
Gameplay - 7/10

He didn't give values for the other points he touched on. Graphics, Scripting and Story was all described as 'shit' or 'awful' No overall score given for the game, other than 'disappointing' or 'shitty'.

"2010 AVP is a much more refined experience than this one"

He put the games value at $15

Jonesy23

Jonesy23

It's weird he would separate the AI from the gameplay since they're usually in the same category. Also, giving the gameplay a 7 then calling the game overall shitty is strange too. Isn't the main part of the game the ahem...gameplay? I do have my own negatives about the game, but this is a strange little review to me but hey, opinion is an opinion and everyone in the gaming world is worth a listen, for the most part.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Sadly, my only consolation about the state of Colonial Marines are the pages and pages of utterly hilarious negative reviews and comments. I'm going to be laughing for the next 48 hours, I'm sure. :laugh:

Here's a particularly belly-tickling snippit from the GBX forums:

Quote* Weyland enemies where baseball caps into battle. And shades. This is the first game I have ever played featuring Space Douche Enemies. Well done, Gear Box, well done.

Spoiler
QuoteSpace Douche Enemies.
[close]

Gren_86

Gren_86

Quote from: Jonesy23 on Feb 12, 2013, 12:04:13 AM
It's weird he would separate the AI from the gameplay since they're usually in the same category. Also, giving the gameplay a 7 then calling the game overall shitty is strange too. Isn't the main part of the game the ahem...gameplay? I do have my own negatives about the game, but this is a strange little review to me but hey, opinion is an opinion and everyone in the gaming world is worth a listen, for the most part.
I'm also confused by his verdict  ???

Jonesy23

Jonesy23

Giving the gameplay a 7/10 then saying the game is shit to me is like the people who say they hate playing Call of Duty because of noobs, but they continue to play every single night.

P.S. 'Space Douche Enemy' is great.

pixelbaron

pixelbaron

Sounds like a sycophant over on the Gearbox forums.

"Almost everything about this game is god awful. Pulse rifle sounds great, though. Game of the year 10/10."

Jonesy23

Jonesy23

Lol. It's so true. I hope I don't become that kind of fan one day.

saintbenzie

saintbenzie

Haha I love going on Gearbox forums. Whenever someone brings up any flaw or negative comment people all flag it and report it.....It's f**king ridiculous. No wonder Gearbox wasn't able to take constructive criticism with the crazy ass nazi mods.

Slaine

Slaine

Spent a few hours on it today.

It is as bad as I had feared.

I'm really very disappointed with Gearbox, I don't even know where to begin. The game is a mess; an unfinished mess.

The graphics are last-gen- i'm talking Doom 3 for PC, or even the original Xbox. Some of the textures are unacceptable for this gen, for example, the computer monitors and screens simply have a blurred texture on top to make it look like there's something on screen. This texture is so low-res and blurred, think of the monitor screens from Goldeneye on the N64 and you'll get an idea. Horrible. The character models are horrid- expressionless puppets. Animation is crap, could have done with some motion-capture. Lip-synching and cinematics in general are poor. Environments are slightly better rendered than the characters but only from a distance- up close you see how simple everything looks. What annoyed me was a simple thing like water which looks so bad; at one point I was walking through a sewer with a high water level and the water was simply a flat cover, with no water physics. It looked, literally, as if all the characters were standing halfway through solid ground. Horrible. And what kind of age are we in, when you can't shoot out the lights in a game? Gearbox put details in like being able to smash screens, and put dents in walls- but when I tried to shoot out the lights in a room- it wouldn't work. Lights still remain.

Story seems to be non-existent so far (i'm on chapter 3). It's just you and a few crew members re-visiting the locales from Aliens and running away from the Xenos. Doesn't seem any point to anything so far.

Gameplay is very poor. The enemies are just no fun to kill, and the AI is woeful. Hit-points are horrid, on many occasions I was in cover trying to shoot enemies with my laser sight directly on them-  but the shots were going nowhere near them. Same as when I was playing as the Spitter in multiplayer- i was trying to spit on the players through a hole in the wall...and the projectiles kept getting blocked by an invisible walls. So many times that the character models were through each other's, or they were floating on the ground, or some other random crappy glitch.

And the game is full of so many glitches, I just can't believe it.

Xenos randomly appear and do the dumbest things, not helped at all considering the game is so glitchy. And as I said before, the AI is horrid. At so many points did an enemy just stand around not doing anything, or froze, or just simply dissapeared.  Physics in general are crap, a few times I saw a Xeno jump and it shot directly up into the air like Superman in that Man of Steel teaser, and did a spinning cartwheel. A few times my gun simply disappeared from my hands so I had nothing to shoot with! The Xenos simply run at you in the dumbest-looking way possible- and drop like puppets after a few hits. Doesn't matter where you hit them either, they die in the same manner, which is crap. Remember in AVP 2010 when if you sever their legs, they still crawl at you? Doesn't happen here. This is also a wasted opportunity for multiplayer, too. Which is actually awful.

Music doesn't do anything either..the OST is actually pretty bad..just random ques from Aliens (and Alien, which for me doesn't fit in with this movie because not even James Horner used Goldsmith's tunes for the movie). Music doesn't add to the experience. Weapon sound effects sound fine, but the pulse rifle sound gets very repetitive, they should have used more variety from the movie's rather than the same 3 seconds which loops.

Multiplayer is forgettable. Again, riddled with gameplay issues and glitches. Players will randomly freeze, Xenos are difficult to control (they start doing random things, eg they keep changing direction when when you're on walls which does not help at all in the middle of a fight), the balance seems to be all over the place. I had a bit of fun with "Escape" but otherwise it can't even play on the basic level as Left4Dead did. It's just really poor clone. And no facehuggers in multiplayer makes me think they really missed a trick. Also eggs- you'll find a ton of closed Xeno eggs around the single player campaign and multiplayer levels- at first i just destroyed them all thinking they held live facehuggers, as they should..but then I found out there was no point wasting my ammo, because the eggs actually don't do anything. No facehuggers in them. Theyr'e just there as set decoration. What's the freaking point of having them then if they serve no purpose? I had so many ideas of how cool it would be to be a Xeno in multiplayer, but none of them were realised- it just settles down to you running straight up to someone and slashing like an idiot till they die. No strategy. Sucks.

Honestly speaking, I think the marine campaign in AVP 2010 was better. And I actually hated that game- but that felt more finished, and at least the enemies had some intelligence and the Aliens themselves had some degree of difficulty to kill. I remember acid damage being harmful and the carcasses staying on the floor- none of that happens here. AVP2010 now actually deserves more credit, especially from me. It was definitely more fun, and at leas they tried to make something playable.

Verdict:

I wish Gearbox spent more time on gameplay, than trying to recreate the sets full of pointless little details for fans. It's cool seeing the sets of course, but..that's about it. The game is not the ultimate Aliens experience we all wanted, or the sequel. And the amount of time spent on this, and then this is the result..it's just unacceptable. It's what happens when you let fans take over before people capable of making a game.

Boot up AVP1/2 or (if you must) AVP2010 for the best Aliens games. And keep on wishing that we actually do get a proper Aliens game in the future. Because A:CM is simply an extremely underwhelming, and below average FPS full of problems, cashing in on the Aliens franchise again :(

4/10

Sorry for my English it's not my first language.

ikarop

ikarop

Quote from: saintbenzie on Feb 12, 2013, 01:15:19 AM
Haha I love going on Gearbox forums. Whenever someone brings up any flaw or negative comment people all flag it and report it.....It's f**king ridiculous. No wonder Gearbox wasn't able to take constructive criticism with the crazy ass nazi mods.

No need to call them that. Please love or hate the game, not the fellow fans.

Yautja_Warrior

Yautja_Warrior

Been playing the PC version for just over an hour now, and I'm pretty impressed.

Graphics - While not the best, do the job.
Sound - Weapon's sound powerful and sound just like in the movie  ;D  Xeno's sound good.
Story - Seem's ok but like I said, I've only played about an hour so far.
Gameplay - Solid like most good shooters really, The Motion Tracker is cool and done really well.
Collectors Edition - Power Loader Statue is really cool.

Playing on Hardened difficulty for 1st run, and I have to say all those people saying the Xeno's just stand around or any video's on the net must be playing on easy or normal, unless the PC version has better AI then the console version ? because they move fast, use the walls and ceilings, they do a good amount of damage on hardened. (Been killed pretty fast a few times lol)

Also I died a few times from the acid blood when I shot a Xeno at point blank with the shotgun, so acid does damage you for anyone interested. I know it was the acid that killed me as it goes to a 3rd person view when you die and the marine holds his face and you can see steam coming off him where its burning him  ;D

Any bad points ? Well I'm not fussed on the weapon upgrades, seems like it's there just because Call of Duty has it, but if you don't like it you don't have to use it. Graphics are a bit rough around the edges. Marine AI is a little off but they do shoot and kill Xeno's, it's not like Call of Duty where they don't kill anything and you have to do all the work. Xeno's don't take to much damage to kill but I can live with that as they can kill you fast aswell, at least they can on Hardened on PC version anyway.

So while it may not be perfect or the best game ever, its not a bad game at all really.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed