Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 220,160 times)

Gren_86

Gren_86

Quote from: teras on Feb 11, 2013, 06:34:37 PM
Oh and the gunfights with the mercs will break your balls.
They redefine the phrase "cheap death"!

A part of me is really hoping that tomorrow Pitchford will make a press conference and say "YOU'VE BEEN PUNKED. We gave you some pre-alpha concept copies to have a few laughs. Here's the real game!"
That would be so cool! The ultimate tease in video game history.
It's brutal when reality kicks in and shits on your dreams.
Ah well...

Jonesy23

Jonesy23

It seems like the average so far from the early reviews that were eventually pulled is about a 6-7 out of 10. I'd probably say no lower than a 7.0 for the most part from people like IGN.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Sad to see that almost every single issue people pointed out during development is *gasp* right there in the game!

There's an army of people on here who knew that the initial lack of focus on the Aliens themselves was going to kill this game, I'm just really glad to see some reviewers pointing that out. It seems that if GBX had actually concentrated on making a more creative or original experience, which ironically falls in line with making the Aliens more accurate to their film counterparts, a lot of these bugs we've seen mentioned (no pun intended) could be tolerated better.

You can't make a proper Aliens game without understanding the source material and having the creativity and courage to actually apply it.

Would've taken geniune balls to make the real Colonial Marines experience, balls that, for Gearbox, have sadly never dropped since their first viewing of Aliens back in '86.

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: Jonesy23 on Feb 11, 2013, 07:03:08 PM
It seems like the average so far from the early reviews that were eventually pulled is about a 6-7 out of 10. I'd probably say no lower than a 7.0 for the most part from people like IGN.

By my maths, it works out as a 5.7 out of 10 average.

Rolle

Rolle

Hello everybody. Just registered for these forums. Seems that most of the people in here are true fans to the AvP universe, or what ever you call it. I for myself have waited this game for long time, talking like..since the day when it was supposed to come for PS2. I´m more of an alien fan than predator fan. I do like them both but there is something that I like in the alien more.

Yes I have played many alien games and most likely all the AvP games. So lets start. I recently installed AvP 2000 (on steam 3$ the original doesn´t work on todays windows PCs.) Also I have played the AvP 2 and its addon Primal Hunt. Oh let´s not forget PS2 Extinction. Also I have just recently watched all the 4 Alien movies on Bluray with the extras on.

Let´s see..AvP 2000 has the marine setting right..or at least I´m afraid to let the aliens close to me, because of the acid and how fast they can kill me in melee. Loved the skirmish mode in this game. Also the aliens fall pretty easy but my god they are quick in this game.

AvP2 I remember the time when I played this game online. My god the best game EVER! When online that is. The SP story was kinda meh. Just like the first AvP. The aliens still felt a threat when they came in swarms. They toned their speed quite a bit from AvP. Challenging game when played on harder difficulty. Thou it did not give me that "oh my god so many I´m going to die" feeling at least on normal. On the other hand, when I played it online. Chose Marines and it was humans vs aliens (no predator) it was a goddamn slaughter house! In the MP it truly felt like an aliens movie. The aliens coming from multiple directions, needed to coordinate what we were doing. I remember that sometimes when we as humans weren´t playing as a group..well it wasn´t pretty. When we did play as a group we had a chance, a good one too. Miss those times..

And we get to the AvP(3). It had some good some bad. On consoles the MP had a hiccups because no dedicated servers. The patches came too late, few players and so on. But when I did get to play I did enjoy it. Not as much as AvP2 but yeah. It was fun. Campaings were ok but still i do find it stupid that I could pistol whip alien to death as human.  ::) Now that was stupid. The A.I was little better when compared to the originals. Atleast the aliens tried to use the ceilings and walls in the singleplayer. But when facing the alien and moving backwards, it just followed like a dog, waiting to be putdown.

Mostly the aliens have been coming straight at me in all the AvP games. They don´t try to circle around or nothing, just zerg rush.
So my point being..to what do some people compare this game to? I don´t say that I´m all knowing aliens fan but I do have read the comics too. So aliens are like bees or ants. There are workers, soldiers, queen, defenders etc. So the point with this yabbering is this, aliens don´t have inviduality (mostly) they work for the best for the hive and queen. So yes, they do attack, attack and attack straight forward, relying on their speed, strength and numbers. BUT when they notice that the resistance is too strong they do backup, search for an weak point. That is my main consern with this game, GB promised that the aliens should be more like the aliens in Aliens. They do think at least on some level. But if it just this head on attacking..well I´m little disappointed. But I´m still going to buy the game, mostlikely I will enjoy it, playing the campaing on Coop and then hitting the MP like there´s no tomorrow! Hoping that it would be like the AvP 2 MP experience.

Also I do find it money grapping greedy mans plot to make some DLC that should come with the game. Mostlikely the content is on the disc already. I´m talking about the ummm what was it? Survivor? Damn forgot the name, well it´s humans vs A.I aliens mode.
That was on AvP, AvP2 and AvP(3) no extra cash needed. Also the newest AvP had only two maps for that mode, I hope that there would be at least 6-8 different maps (more I hope) for different playmodes. Like I don´t know..16 maps? With DLC 24 or so. Otherwise the MP will wither away because at least on PC you could make your own maps..if I remember correctly since I don´t have the AvP3 on PC  and been quite a while when I played AvP 2 online.

In the end, I hope that at least me myself will enjoy the game, the MP and SP alike. Also I did give the AvP 3 7/10 in my own opinion so I hope that this one gets at least the same or hopefully, even better number in my books.

Sorry for my english. Keep on the good stuff, I like what I have read on these forums  :)

Elicas

Elicas

Welcome to AVP:G. I'm afraid you'll be somewhat disappointed because no, the multiplayer has very little in common with AVP2. My advice would be wait two days while Ikarop gathers up all the reviews, and make an informed decision on purchasing the game.

saintbenzie

Cal427eb

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Just cancelled my preorder at gamestop, the guys there tried to change my mind which they said all the reviews were positive and lowest score was a 8......I just looked at them and laugh then said give me my dam money.

saintbenzie

saintbenzie

Quote from: chrisr232007 on Feb 11, 2013, 08:22:43 PM
Just cancelled my preorder at gamestop, the guys there tried to change my mind which they said all the reviews were positive and lowest score was a 8......I just looked at them and laugh then said give me my dam money.
As someone that works at Gamestop I can say I know how it is from both sides. On one side there's the customer that of course wants their money back for a shitty game and then there's the employee that get's ranked on preorders which is just f**king retarded. They could have been at 0 preorders and one cancel can put them at -1 reserves which you get bitched at about by corporate. The reserve system is really really shitty.

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Quote from: saintbenzie on Feb 11, 2013, 08:27:03 PM
As someone that works at Gamestop I can say I know how it is from both sides. On one side there's the customer that of course wants their money back for a shitty game and then there's the employee that get's ranked on preorders which is just f**king retarded. They could have been at 0 preorders and one cancel can put them at -1 reserves which you get bitched at about by corporate. The reserve system is really really shitty.

That is shitty

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

Lying bastards, more like lowest 5 and the highest 7.

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Quote from: Bjørn Half-hand on Feb 11, 2013, 08:30:29 PM

Lying bastards, more like lowest 5 and the highest 7.

What's even more funny one of them try to tell me that Ridley Scott wrote the story  ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed