Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 220,348 times)

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: QUAGMIRE83 on Feb 11, 2013, 04:57:09 PM
I just got mine today and all I can say is, BEST GAME EVER MADE!
How so?

Elicas

Elicas

You obviously only own this one game.

Kimo

Kimo

Im from the UK and i manage to get this game a day early from the small computer shop for my Xbox 360. I only played like the first few levels and here is what i think, my option will no doubt change as i get more in to the game. BTW the was already a 3mb update when i installed ACM.

The Graphics are like Doom3/Quake4/Fear1&2 era... I dont judge any game for it's graphics, its all about atmosphere and playability for me. So far the atmosphere in the game has been ok but nothing out of this world... i would say it's defo better then AVP2010 atmosphere, you do sort of feel like you are in the Aliens Universe, but i aint had any shock or jump moments yet.

My biggest problem with the graphics is sometimes its hard to make out whats going on, when your in a room with loads of computers, and wall lights, and alien goo why you are getting attacked from aliens/humans can be a little sensory overload. I would say this is due to the graphics looking a little generic making everything look a liitle bland. But saying that, i have been in some rooms and corridors were the graphics look good. I am looking forward to seeing the other levels like Hadleys Hope and Derelict to see how they look.

The AI is like Random, sometimes the Aliens act how the real Cameron's Aliens should act. But then you may see one or two act all retarded and buggy (The same go's for the human AI) The Ragdoll on both human and the aliens can be buggy sometimes... Like after you have killed a Xeno sometimes the ragdoll effect can have them spaz out on the floor like limbs shaking and moving unrealistically. Like i shot one Alien that was wall climbing, and its dead body was still hanging from the wall from the tip of its tail, it looked fake and buggy as hell. Anyhow i have to say i do like how the Aliens move and look in this game when the AI gets it right. The Aliens can attack you from differnt directions and also little waves of alien attacks happen that i like.

So fair the game has been average/fun for me, but i have not been blown away by anything yet. I still have a good few levels to go so hopefully my option may or may not change for the better. O

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

you're.... You're being sarcastic right?

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Kimo on Feb 11, 2013, 05:16:30 PM

The Graphics are like Doom3/Quake4/Fear1&2 era...

Puts my graphic worries to rest. Those may not be Frostbite 2 graphics but they're still better then other big franchised games.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 11, 2013, 05:34:38 PM

Puts my graphic worries to rest. Those may not be Frostbite 2 graphics but they're still better then other big franchised games.
Which games exactly?

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Cal427eb on Feb 11, 2013, 05:58:41 PM

Which games exactly?

Call of Duty. F.e.a.r 2 had way better player models imo

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Oh I thought you were saying that A:CM had better graphics than most modern franchises out right now.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

F.E.A.R 2 had decent graphics but where it was very good was all the FX.
Explosion, Particles, distortions were all great.
The Grenade from the pulse rifle in A:CM reminds me a lot the one in AVP2.
AVP2010 performed better on FX.

I don't think textures are an issue, when I'm speaking about graphics what I like to see are the lightning, the FX and the world design. Unfortunately A:CM seems to have none of this and it is twice sad when you know that it took a lot of elements from ALIENS.
Every corridor seems pretty generic, room that are not from the film feels like random design that all average / bad FPS has.

teras

teras

Think again. I thought the same too but just now I got into the Derelict and OMG the graphics are even worse.
I can't believe they had the balls to release this as it is.
Didn't anybody in the GBX studio ever raised his hand and said "guys we can't release that looking like that"!
For God's sake it really looks as if the whole game was an internal side project made just for fun.
Damn, I thought it couldn't get any worse!

...and FEAR 2 had much better graphics than this (console).
This game literally has no effects. The fire is 2D, the explosions are taken straight from Duke NukeM 3D (not Forever).
The enemies have no hitboxes other than the head and the torso and when they die, sometimes they just disappear and reappear as if their textures are instantly replaced from living to dead.
You can't have more last gen than this.
Damn, I'm mad now!

Gren_86

Gren_86

I think that we wouldn't be so pissed at GBX if they were a bit more modest in their press statements. Let the f**king fans decide on their own terms if it's cannon material or not. Doesn't matter if its just another marketing gig or well intentional fanboysm, it's not rational thinking in my opinion.   

teras

teras

Oh and the gunfights with the mercs will break your balls.
They redefine the phrase "cheap death"!

A part of me is really hoping that tomorrow Pitchford will make a press conference and say "YOU'VE BEEN PUNKED. We gave you some pre-alpha concept copies to have a few laughs. Here's the real game!"

Samus007

Samus007

Quote from: teras on Feb 11, 2013, 06:06:15 PM

Think again. I thought the same too but just now I got into the Derelict and OMG the graphics are even worse.
I can't believe they had the balls to release this as it is.
Didn't anybody in the GBX studio ever raised his hand and said "guys we can't release that looking like that"!
For God's sake it really looks as if the whole game was an internal side project made just for fun.
Damn, I thought it couldn't get any worse!

...and FEAR 2 had much better graphics than this (console).
This game literally has no effects. The fire is 2D, the explosions are taken straight from Duke NukeM 3D (not Forever).
The enemies have no hitboxes other than the head and the torso and when they die, sometimes they just disappear and reappear as if their textures are instantly replaced from living to dead.
You can't have more last gen than this.
Damn, I'm mad now!

:-[ :-[ :-[

souNdwAve89

souNdwAve89

I finished the game, thanks to a friend who got an early copy. Here is my short non-spoiler review.

Gameplay

The gameplay is standard just like any other fps game The difference of course is the setting, which takes place in the Alien universe that many have come to love and adore. The shoot mechanics is decent and I compare it to the Call of Duty games, which means that the recoil is almost non-existent. It it awesome to hear the sound effects of the pulse rifle, which is the same as Aliens. The shotguns are useless and enemies soak up at least 3 to 4 shells. Don't get me wrong, they come in handy in a tight spot, but I always find myself going back to the pulse rifle. You do fight humans in this game, who are the Weyland-Yutani's private military company, or PMC. The human AI is not the greatest and they act like bots sometimes. There was an instance where I ran past the enemy while he was shouting "intruders! Hit the alarm" and proceed to just walk down the aisle. The Xenomorph AI is good and they do pose a threat because of how fast they travel. Gearbox did a good job programming the Xenomorphs to use the darkness and shadows.

Story

The story is canon and a true sequel to Aliens. They worked closely with 20th Century Fox and even talked to Ridley Scott (dunno why it wasn't James Cameron, but maybe he was busy...). To keep it short, the story revolves around another Colonial Marines detachment that was sent to investigate the distress signal (sent out in Aliens) 14 weeks after the events of Aliens. The game offers a cool level of fan service such as exploring the whole ship (Sulaco) since we only saw bits and pieces of it in the movie. You do get to wander around in Hadley's Hope and other set pieces in the movie. What I found to be really cool is that they got back actors to reprise their roles in the game such as Michael Biehn (Corporal Hicks), Lance Henriksen (android Bishop), etc. I know that a lot of fans are pissed that the game makes the Xenomorphs weak. You have to understand that it's a GAME. Gearbox tried their best to make the game as authentic as the movie as possible. For example, you do lose life overtime due to the Xenomorph's acid when you kill it and get too close. YES, the guns do take down the Xenomorphs faster than the movies. If they made the game authentic, then the game would be difficult for the avenge gamer.

Visuals

The game was almost in development hell that caused delays and pushbacks. The game was originally suppose to come out on the PS2, but it was scrapped and pushed to be released on next generation consoles. The visuals are quite... poor. I played on the Xbox 360 and there were instances of screen tearing and fps drops. There was a moment in the game where there is a light in a dark room and it was pixelated. The Xenomorph animation and look is really good and even the Marines movements. If the game didn't bump into many problems it did and was released like they wanted, it could have passed for its time. I am not a big graphics whore, but there are parts of the game that just bugged me.

Conclusion

Overall, if you are a big fan of the series you will enjoy the game for what it is. If you are looking for a fps game to play, then skip it until the price lowers. The game is not worth the full retail price of $60 in my opinion. To be fair, it worth around the $30 range. I have not tried the multiplayer, but if that is your thing, then go for it. I like Gearbox, but they are hit or miss with their games. I really wish they made another Brothers in Arms game =/

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: Le Celticant on Feb 11, 2013, 06:05:59 PM

AVP2010 performed better on FX.
AvP '10 is made with DX10 and high res in mind after all. Its still a "test your dx10/11 gpu" kind of game.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed