Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 218,860 times)

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Predaker on Feb 09, 2013, 04:12:22 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 09, 2013, 01:26:22 AM
Quote from: Predaker on Feb 09, 2013, 01:23:46 AM
Gearbox poured their heart into this game. Like it, love it, hate it... please show some respect.

It's earned, not given.

Haggle me for extra DLC money and make wild declarations of authenticity. No respect earned.  ;)

So if I don't like that mod you made with the flamethrower in the air ducts, it's perfectly acceptable to post pictures of your face and make fun of you?
Mods are free. Games are not.

Giger_Incubator

Giger_Incubator

I guess not.

LogansFolly

LogansFolly

Quote from: Le Celticant on Feb 09, 2013, 01:11:50 AM
AVP was bad, like really bad but at least they got the "minimum" required for a game to work.
Aliens animations were very nice, graphics were good, controls were almost good only concerns were some part of the mechanic that were clearly broken and several things as the inability to change species in game.

A:CM doesn't seems to have that minimum.
Graphic sucks, we agree on that.
Animation sucks, we agree on that.
Mechanic is totally random and full of non sense like placing a ***** sentry gun in the middle of nowhere just for the sake of having a sentry gun in the game.
AI sucks, it could have work very very well if all Aliens were behaving like lurker and wouldn't stand 90% of the time on the ground.
Coding sucks, full of bug/lag/glitch that could have easily been fixed if given the proper amount of time to run correct test.
Story is unwise, why trying to change something that is already set up? Gearbox did not succeed where ALIENĀ³ or AVP failed, it mimic the exact same non linear mistakes that have been bothering the fans since ages. It is a total failure and far from giving an alien experience since their vision matches more the Strause soap.

Perhaps a patch could fix some of these issues? Prehaps a patch is due to go live from day one! (12/2)? I just wanna add that I'm more stocked for the multiplayer and couldn't give two fooks about single player? Has anyone played this co-op or would that not make any difference?

WeaN

WeaN

Quote from: Dachande on Feb 09, 2013, 02:48:07 AMThe Aliens seem able to take a fair bit of a beating, with a few even taking around 2-3 shotgun blasts from close before dying
Playing on Hardened, I never had to shoot them more than twice with the shotgun to kill them, and that was mid range. Which difficulty were you playing ?

Highland

Highland

Finding it hard to find a proper review on this game. Is it not out yet in some regions??

I went into EB today and they have it on sale so I assume it's out??

pixelbaron

pixelbaron

Stores are breaking the street date which is why you see it on shelves. It's not out till the 12th.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: pixelbaron on Feb 09, 2013, 08:42:21 AM
Stores are breaking the street date which is why you see it on shelves. It's not out till the 12th.

ahh ok, The Australian shops don't usually do that.

I was going to pick it up but these games have a track record of being rubbish so I thought I'd hunt down a review first.

Kalawaki

Kalawaki

I'm finding the vast majority of these reviews to have no hinderence towards me. Graphics? They look fine to me, personally. I'm not a graphics whore. AI? Doesn't matter to me in the slightest. Linear campaign levels? Won't be an issue.

Why?

Because i'm getting the game mostly for the multiplayer, which while limited looks fun as hell. I've yet to see a review cover multiplayer at all, and only complain about the campaign. I've enjoyed playing from the xenomorph's POV since AvP 2000, and AvP2 after that. That is the main reason I am getting the game.

The second reason is that I have been a ALIEN fan for nearly twenty years and, since Fox green-lit this as canonical, i'm interested to see what they do with the storyline. And while I don't expect the story to be superb, I don't see any of the problems/issues presented by any review i've read in here to hinder the overall story.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

IMO

1) Graphics are not everything.

2) AI sucks in most games. I think some of the AI in even Halo 4 sucks.

The fact ACM is lacking in graphics and AI does not bother me...at all.

Dachande

Dachande

Quote from: WeaN on Feb 09, 2013, 07:24:10 AM
Quote from: Dachande on Feb 09, 2013, 02:48:07 AMThe Aliens seem able to take a fair bit of a beating, with a few even taking around 2-3 shotgun blasts from close before dying
Playing on Hardened, I never had to shoot them more than twice with the shotgun to kill them, and that was mid range. Which difficulty were you playing ?
Just on soldier, granted they were mostly body shots. Who knows, maybe I just have shit aim! :P

Capsule

Capsule

Having watched alot of those videos now and going through the feedback and especially the critique and letdowns. A:CM looks like an average shooter through and through and it is, for me, sad that the wait was so long for everyone here.
So, I want to lay down my opinion what went wrong for those who expected something more:

Alien fans, especially the fans of Aliens, are looking more into the survival terror experience, not to a military COD -style on rails shootout. I personally think that the whole feeling of surviving is somehow lessened when there is an actual plot, a laid down path for you to follow through the cabinet of horrors. This works in a movie, but doesn't work in a game. Perhaps Aliens does not translate into a game in a cinematic way, as it is more about spontaneous intelligence to come up with quick solutions to keep yourself alive in an overwhelming stress situation where death is most certain if you stay put. Try staying put in A:CM, I promise you absolutely nothing happens as you have to trigger the events by moving forward blabla. You know the drill assholes and elbows! What an aliens game should be, might be something more of a simulation. Lets just say that you have two hours to get the hell out of some installation, a'la hadleys hope/the atmosphere processor and the game has an endless generation of aliens from a certain hive throughout the whole time. They wont wait, they will actively search for you, and they absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead. There are the possibilities for emergent gameplay scenarios, how to barricade, what to scavenge, when to hide, when to run and why not ultimately, when to kill yourself to save your mates. So I would put my time and money into creating the ultimate sandbox experience. There could be civilians, who could act as the actual pawns and there would be a race against time to reach them before the xenos, as the casualties transfer directly to new aliens and there will not be enough ammo to kill them all.

Perhaps it is something like this, a role playing, bonding experience, surviving a hell together, or at least wishing to. Why did gearbox create almost a carbon copy of AVP 2010?

teras

teras

Guys, guys, guys and girls.
The game is good. Sure, it should have been much better but it's good.
Hadley's hope is better than the Sulaco, much better and things are starting to pick up.
Ripley's pulse rifle rocks (limited edition DLC).

To someone who asked before, I put the limited edition code last night and saw the movie characters in the MP customization menu.
They are there to play with.

Don't lose hope. The game is better than AVP 2010.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

So everyone is comfortable with relegating it to Warhammer 40k: Space Marine class of game out of sudden while it has been hyped as an AAA title since 2008?

How would you compare this game in terms of quality to W40k: Space Marine?

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Feb 09, 2013, 01:52:46 PM
So everyone is comfortable with relegating it to Warhammer 40k: Space Marine class of game
You know that I am not  :laugh:

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

How does it fare compared to Alien: Trilogy and Resurrection btw?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed