The Reptile Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Apr 22, 2012, 08:37:08 PM

Author
The Reptile Thread (Read 43,694 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Fanatics of Reptiles? Of all kinds?
This is the thread for you! Questions, scientific articles, videos, pictures, discussions on the lovely primeval scaly creatures go here.

Let's get sssstarted.

Winter_Alekss

Winter_Alekss

omg I love every single reptile my favorites are snakes, crocodiles,komodo dragons

Cvalda

Cvalda

YESSSS.

I'll crosspost the pics of Noomi, my PetSmart rescue job from yesterday:

Went out to open a new checking account, wandered into the Petsmart next door, and became guilt tripped into buying an anole because of the hideous conditions the poor things are kept under. They look miserable. So for $8, I thought "why not" and got this little lady (at least I think it's a lady--she doesn't have a dewlap, so...):

So horribly mistreated at the pet store it likely wont live past a few weeks, but it put its paws on the glass when I put my hand up, and I figured for the price of dinner I could at least let it know some peace in the few weeks it probably has left. She's got scars and a tear on her throat from where she's been attacked or fought with other anoles in her tank (there are only supposed to be 2-3 anoles a tank max, and there were around 12...). Will be keeping her in my old butterfly garden on the back porch, so she can actually experience the sunshine for likely the first time in months.

Also hopefully getting a baby Argentine B&W tegu in the next couple of months. Fingers crossed! They are wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUpZDGJP-LY#noexternalembed

First Blood

First Blood

Crocodiles.

Large and terrifying looking creatures that I love.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Have any at your zoo? ;)

First Blood

First Blood

Yeap! An Alligator though. Just one. He's not too big either. Maybe six feet. :)

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

This is my little lad. This pic is from 07. He's about 12 years old now.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: First Blood on Apr 22, 2012, 08:46:47 PM
Yeap! Just one though. He's not too big either. Maybe six feet. :)
I want pictures! Piiiicccttuuurresss.

Speaking of crocs:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/29/man-and-crocodile-chito-a_n_742427.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdw5LMdmYSQ#

Quote from: coolbreeze on Apr 22, 2012, 08:48:11 PM

D'awwwwww! :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: First Blood on Apr 22, 2012, 08:46:47 PM
Yeap! Just one though. He's not too big either. Maybe six feet. :)
Saw a niloticus live in the Zoo of Rome once. They named him Markus, I think. Yeah, he was around six feet as well. Perhaps a little bigger, but I don't really remember.

Quote from: coolbreeze on Apr 22, 2012, 08:48:11 PM

Awesome guy!

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

Oh Yes, Reptiles...

Spoiler
[close]

Eva

Eva

Is it true that crocodiles/gators have very weak muscle power when opening their jaws? I think I saw on tv that you could essentially wrap an elastic band or string around their jaws and it wouldn't be able to snap at you.

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Quote from: Eva on Apr 22, 2012, 08:53:20 PM
Is it true that crocodiles/gators have very weak muscle power when opening their jaws? I think I saw on tv that you could essentially wrap an elastic band or string around their jaws and it wouldn't be able to snap at you.

Yes, more or less. All there power comes in closing.

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

One of my ex bf's drug dealers had a legit baby crocodile. I was like errmmm what you gonna do with it when its 10 feet long and a voracious appetite for anything it can fit into its stomach?

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 22, 2012, 08:48:41 PM
I want pictures! Piiiicccttuuurresss.

You got it. ;)

King Rathalos

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed