William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 150,670 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Denton Smalls

Denton Smalls

Totally forgot about the infections via bites! Do you all think DH is releasing this because it shares a lot of the viral elements with Covenant and they want to divert more towards that direction for future content?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I doubt it. I think if anything inspired them it was that there was a lot of interest in alternative Alien 3 sequels, and the best way to ultimately approach that I think is in comics. They could do dozens of alternate sequel ideas and it won't piss anyone off.

Something i've always been curious about, and i'm very interested to see what the comics do with it, is what the new breeds look like.

I always imagined something similar to one of the Ripley Clone failures. There's one that has a very Alien head.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't like the idea of the Aliens just mutating willy-nilly, does the script this is based on give any explanation?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 25, 2018, 08:32:11 AMYeah, it infected Welles and that's how we got the Hybrid.  There were so few people on Anchorpoint in the second script so I don't recall who else died the same way.

Tully turns in draft 2, but realises it's coming and suicides by meat locker - they find him frozen solid and half-transformed. The scientist who gets bitten on the leg also turns, but Hicks shoots him dead before the process can complete; his turning made a hell of a lot more sense than the dozen Chestbursters that suddenly erupt out of him in response to a nip on the leg in draft 1.

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 25, 2018, 05:33:33 PMI don't like the idea of the Aliens just mutating willy-nilly, does the script this is based on give any explanation?

Nope. They can just suddenly infect people via airborne contagion.

That leap is the main thing I dislike about it.

The Old One

The Old One

Nah, not my thing.
Say what you will about the Alien prequels, at least it added new facets without contradicting the Alien Trilogy.

Hope the adaptation in the comic makes at least some effort to explain why if they can spread as an airborne infection-
they didn't in the previous two films.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 25, 2018, 05:44:42 PMSay what you will about the Alien prequels, at least it added new facets without contradicting the Alien Trilogy.

Apart from Aliens bursting out of people fully-formed.

And the Aliens being massively younger than is shown by the first movie.

:P

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 25, 2018, 05:46:47 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Jul 25, 2018, 05:44:42 PMSay what you will about the Alien prequels, at least it added new facets without contradicting the Alien Trilogy.

Apart from Aliens bursting out of people fully-formed.

And the Aliens being massively younger than is shown by the first movie.

:P

Bah, artistic license on that first one- it doesn't actually change anything about the way they function.

Than is implied, not shown- in both cases.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

That's not actually entirely true. There are at least three scenes that go over the ALIEN DNA.

The scientists at Anchorpoint do a human-alien culture to see how the alien DNA reacts. What they see scares them they terminate the experiment. Takes the ALIEN DNA seconds to basically destroy the human tissue culture. The corporate suits insist that the experiments follow through, and what develops in the container is actually not far from the spore pods in Alien Covenant. Something goes wrong with the system and it causes a couple of the tubes to overheat/over pressure and crack. A small egg-like spore has developed, and when it comes close to two of the characters it opens and releases a "small cloud that disappears." They're both infected with this new strain.

The commies basically admire how well it "lends itself to be manipulated" and that it seems to be almost "manufactured." They're impressed that it has a "universal compatibility." IE, whatever you give it, it will use. Basically, it's the perfect organism, a survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.  :)

So they do explain it. The Alien DNA will simply change and snap back violently depending on how it's cultivated. It makes more sense than the random nature of the black goo and spores.

Literally nothing about what goes on in the Gibson drafts, particularly draft 2, "contradicts" the first three films, because the way the Alien species is introduced and explored is different.

Also, after rereading it, i'm really curious to see what they do with the Stoiko. It's brief description in the script makes me think of Crimson Tide in space... Cold War space battle wagon.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, but per the original scripts, no manipulation has taken place when the Alien suddenly pulls an entirely new life cycle out of its ass.

The SpaceCommies fiddle with the creatures' DNA, and the Aliens on their station wing up breeding faster and generally being "meaner" as a result. But the ones on Anchorpoint are never said to be altered by the scientists. They just suddenly have a new method of reproduction they conveniently never used in the previous two films.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

One visual I'm really looking forward to is the xenomorph DNA under the microscope.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 25, 2018, 07:46:00 PM
The SpaceCommies fiddle with the creatures' DNA, and the Aliens on their station wing up breeding faster and generally being "meaner" as a result. But the ones on Anchorpoint are never said to be altered by the scientists. They just suddenly have a new method of reproduction they conveniently never used in the previous two films.

It's because they fused Alien DNA with human cultures. "The Change" and hybreds are a result of that. That isn't their natural life cycle at work, it's an aberration brought on by gestating the raw DNA with the human culture.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 25, 2018, 07:48:31 PM
One visual I'm really looking forward to is the xenomorph DNA under the microscope.

Yeah.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I do rather like the idea that the xenomorphs are dangerous even on the genetic level.

The Old One

The Old One

;D

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 25, 2018, 09:14:46 PM

;D

BINGO! XENO DNA!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed