New Alien 5 Ripley/Hicks Concept Art

Started by Darkness, Jul 16, 2015, 07:16:11 PM

Author
New Alien 5 Ripley/Hicks Concept Art (Read 39,627 times)

noname

It looks as though Neil Blomkamp is going to tackle yet another childish political cliche's that no one is going to take seriously.

Or.. Samsung is advertising the movie but it seems unlikely.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: Shinawi on Jul 19, 2015, 11:54:28 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 18, 2015, 01:23:06 PM
Quote from: Thomas on Jul 18, 2015, 01:49:30 AM
....... i believe that there were/are korean personel in weyland yutani but particuarly in Alien 3 you notice it in the personel arriving at the end of the movie.......

Dr. Matshuita in Alien 3 is Japanese (albeit played by Chinese actor Hi Ching (credited as company man 1))

Interestingly, in  Blade Runner there is a Korean cop in heavy body armour who tells Deckard , "Hey, idi-wa", Korean for "Hey, come here".

That's really interesting. I watched Blade Runner many years ago. So I forgot about the Korean cop. It makes me wonder what made Ridley Scott decide to have Koreans patrol his city. (I'm not against his decision since it's his movie and it's science fiction. And seeing a Korean in a controlling position like that in a British/American movie was very new and intriguing). Note that the Korean spoke in Korean to Deckard, not in English. It's as if the Koreans are in control of this city. Blade Runner is a 1982 film. This was long before South Korea became a wealthy and high tech country. In fact, South Korea used to have sweatshops in 1982. And the country was politically unstable, experiencing coups and oppression by the government. This was before South Korea hosted the Summer Olympics and the FIFA World Cup. I was a very young kid at that time, but I still remember that people didn't think much about Korea. I even know people who weren't even aware of that country.  It seems so out of the blue that he chose Korea as the superpower in his film.

Or could it be that the Korean was acting as a mercenary for the Japanese? I remember a lot of Japanese cultural influence in the city.

Who knows for sure if the cop was even Korean.  Just because he spoke a Korean phrase doesn't necessarily mean he's Korean - in Blade Runner, there is something called "city speak" which was a new language birthed from the culture mishmash melting pot of 2019 Los Angeles.  In the same scene posted, Gaff speaks sentences to Deckard that are composed of Hungarian, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, French, and German words and phrases.

I highly highly doubt it Ridley's use of the Korean "idi-wa" was a prediction/statement regarding the rise of South Korea so much as another facet of his statement regarding the totally multicultural state of LA in his movie.

Quote from: noname on Jul 20, 2015, 01:28:58 AM

It looks as though Neil Blomkamp is going to tackle yet another childish political cliche's that no one is going to take seriously.

Or.. Samsung is advertising the movie but it seems unlikely.

The presence of a Korean flag is your reasoning to assuming this will be another political cliche?  The Alien series has always dabbled in predictions on the future or merging of various countries, whether it's Ron Cobb's concept art for a "United Americas" flag and a "Three World Empire" patch or the increasing influence of Japanese corporations in the Yutani aspect of Yutani...or in the kanji that's adorns Fury 161 all over.

noname

Well, judging by his previous works it's safe to assume that he will be making the same mistake again.

Xenomorphine

Everybody seems to be forgetting Weaver clearly had a large amount of input on this, story element-wise.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 20, 2015, 06:52:37 PM
Everybody seems to be forgetting Weaver clearly had a large amount of input on this, story element-wise.
That's true but she had a lot of say in Alien 3 and Resurrection as well if I remember rightly

Engineer

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jul 20, 2015, 07:10:34 PM
That's true but she had a lot of say in Alien 3 and Resurrection as well if I remember rightly

Yes, she did. But correct me if I'm wrong, I think xenomorphine is implying that this will be less like all of Neil blomkamp's previous work because sigorney weaver will have a say in what story elements should be emphasized (i.e., political, etc..). So it's sort of unfair to assume that this will be exactly like his other work when we know at least 1 other person involved will be heavily influencing both the story and direction (weaver).

vikingspawn

Does the new pic release mean filming has begun?

Corporal Hicks

Nah - a set picture would be more of an indicator than artwork.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jul 20, 2015, 02:53:13 AM
Who knows for sure if the cop was even Korean.  Just because he spoke a Korean phrase doesn't necessarily mean he's Korean - in Blade Runner, there is something called "city speak" which was a new language birthed from the culture mishmash melting pot of 2019 Los Angeles.  In the same scene posted, Gaff speaks sentences to Deckard that are composed of Hungarian, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, French, and German words and phrases.

Good point but we know at least he was Asian. The Sushi Master and Chew both speak clean Japanese and Chinese respectively, so it's not too far fetched to assume the cop only spoke Korean.

HuDaFuK

Nice art but still not sold on the film.

I don't like the idea of giving the later films the boot and I'm still really worried that Blomkamp's gonna be writing it. Seriously, they better announce that someone's working with him on the script soon or else my expectations will drop quite a bit. Writing is not his strong suit.

whiterabbit

Korean interest in mah aliens? Oh f**k no, say it ain't so. :P

Man guys I need a bucket.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Engineer on Jul 20, 2015, 07:33:30 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jul 20, 2015, 07:10:34 PM

Yes, she did. But correct me if I'm wrong, I think xenomorphine is implying that this will be less like all of Neil blomkamp's previous work because sigorney weaver will have a say in what story elements should be emphasized (i.e., political, etc..). So it's sort of unfair to assume that this will be exactly like his other work when we know at least 1 other person involved will be heavily influencing both the story and direction (weaver).
That actually makes sense yeah.

Xenomorphine

Well, that, but more importantly, don't forget she was repeatedly interviewed, over the years, as being involved in the informal talks between Cameron and Scott for their brain-storming sessions for an 'Alien 5'. It's unlikely Cameron will ever reveal what he had written, so far, for that, but Weaver strikes me as the kind of creative individual to have thought it a shame a lot of those ideas never made it to the screen. I could definitely see her speaking candidly with Blomkamp in private, about all the 'what ifs' which had been spoken about. Heck, if he's half the fan he says he is, I'd have expected him to ask about those!

So, my feeling is that this will contain more than a few elements of what we could have had for the Cameron/Scott project. Blomkamp seems like the kind of imaginative soul to take some of those ideas, run with and modify them, based on what Weaver told him she would have liked to have been involved with, back then.

When you mix this with Scott being a producer, it doesn't seem unlikely... The only thing missing is for news to be leaked about Cameron being 'consulted' about this.

Engineer

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 21, 2015, 12:45:25 PM

Well, that, but more importantly, don't forget she was repeatedly interviewed, over the years, as being involved in the informal talks between Cameron and Scott for their brain-storming sessions for an 'Alien 5'. It's unlikely Cameron will ever reveal what he had written, so far, for that, but Weaver strikes me as the kind of creative individual to have thought it a shame a lot of those ideas never made it to the screen. I could definitely see her speaking candidly with Blomkamp in private, about all the 'what ifs' which had been spoken about. Heck, if he's half the fan he says he is, I'd have expected him to ask about those!

So, my feeling is that this will contain more than a few elements of what we could have had for the Cameron/Scott project. Blomkamp seems like the kind of imaginative soul to take some of those ideas, run with and modify them, based on what Weaver told him she would have liked to have been involved with, back then.

When you mix this with Scott being a producer, it doesn't seem unlikely... The only thing missing is for news to be leaked about Cameron being 'consulted' about this.
Good points! I remain cautiously optimistic, but after this comment, I think my optimism is stretching a little farther now! :-)

LiquidMonster

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 21, 2015, 12:45:25 PM

Simply ace Xeno! A very good response. I agree. You just *KNOW* that Blomkamp has asked about Ridley and Cameron's Alien sequel ideas. Hell, being Ridley is executive producing, I wouldn't be surprised for him getting story credit along with Cameron, Blomkamp and Weaver!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed