News and Social Media posts regarding Alien: Covenant

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Nov 07, 2015, 02:09:21 PM

Author
News and Social Media posts regarding Alien: Covenant (Read 554,570 times)

T Dog

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 28, 2016, 12:54:28 PM
Well we knew it'd been through a lot of changes. To what extent and the quality of this next one up still up in the air. It does scare me though - it has for a while.
Well Ridley is the master of developing poor screenplays.

lv_226

I agree with Hicks on this one (as much as every part of me wants to not look at this rationally). I enjoyed Prometheus -- even though I agree that the finished film was 'Frankensteined' together. I think that whatever followed Prometheus was going to be a tough nut to crack. Prometheus provided, IMO, some interesting material but no easy payoff. This was compounded by the fact that Lindelof was not attached to write, leaving those mysteries unresolved. My biggest concern with Covenant is that this thing has been re-written, if all the various reports are to be believed, many times over. However, following the same reports, there seem to be some story points that have leaked that have remained consistent -- multiple David's, paradise-like planet, the Engineers. This hints at there being some skeleton of a story, but how much of that is satisfactorily resolved when connected to Prometheus and Alien is yet to be seen.

I am optimistic that Logan came on board to do some re-writes. Given Scott's current success with The Martian, I am hopeful that he will deliver a more coherent experience this time.

Corporal Hicks

Quote'Empire' Star Jussie Smollett was greeted by fans as he arrived in Sydney, Australia to film Alien: Covenant.

https://twitter.com/OverTimeGrind/status/725765804755697664

NickisSmart

Got news for you folks. Things don't get written in one pass, anywhere, ever. The Wizard of Oz had 12 scripts, rewritten, and 4 different directors. Things get changed on the fly and included/excluded on a whim. I'd be worried if the script for Covenant hadn't been rewritten at least once.

What does that even mean, rewritten? Is that a total-makeover, starting from scratch each time? Is it a minor revision, or a big change? Did they alter the font, from Comic Sans to Times New Roman? It's good to revisit a script and reconsider what you're working with. Movies aren't shot in order and certain scenes are filmed or not, due to various reasons. If I remember correctly, the end of Alien the way Ridley shot it, wasn't in the script, and almost didn't get shot due to budget constraints; he wanted to shoot it in the buff, but that idea got scrapped, and beyond all that, originally the alien was supposed to win, killing Ripley and steering the ship towards Earth using her stolen voice. And supposedly there was another version, never filmed, where Ripley fights the damn thing outside the ship via umbilical cord and kills it by shooting it in the head with a pistol.

And Lambert was originally supposed to crawl into a locker and die of a heart attack, but they didn't have time to film that, or the funds, so they recycled footage from Brett's death scene and recorded Lambert screaming (and it worked a lot better, I think, than the original idea would have).

What I'm worried about, I suppose, is the lack of budget constraints, not the script. Ridley didn't have much to work with and had to get pretty creative in spots, and so of the best scenes in Alien were shot under the pretense of a limited budget and shrinking time table. Granted, the rough material Terry Rawlings had to work with was something like four hours, if I remember correctly from his interview on the DVD's making-off featurette, so they were able to shoot plenty if not build everything they wanted.

The biggest issue of all for Prometheus was the editing. That's it, plain and simple. The damn film is too short, too truncated. Even if the script was stellar, the editing for that film would have ruined it, in the movie's present state. If anything, I would pray to the film gods that Ridley actually edits this one proper.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 28, 2016, 07:59:06 PM
Quote'Empire' Star Jussie Smollett was greeted by fans as he arrived in Sydney, Australia to film Alien: Covenant.

Wow, he left for Sydney on the 12th already.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEFsYm-PXkC/

That's one helluva long flight Corporal!

Quote from: lv_226 on Apr 28, 2016, 02:59:29 PM
I am optimistic that Logan came on board to do some re-writes. Given Scott's current success with The Martian, I am hopeful that he will deliver a more coherent experience this time.

Funnily enough, I remember watching an interview with Scott during the Martian's press tour in which he said he didn't read the book because he didn't want to meddle with the script. Of course The Martian had a great script to start off with, but I think they were really struggling with Prometheus 2.

Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 28, 2016, 01:00:46 PM
Well we knew it'd been through a lot of changes. To what extent and the quality of this next one up still up in the air. It does scare me though - it has for a while.

To be fair, Alien and Blade Runner turned out great.

Although admittedly, that was quite a long time ago. Back when people still said "no" to him.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 12, 2016, 10:20:19 AM

jussiesmollett - I look tired as hell but Imma sleep this entire 15 hour flight. Check yall later #USA. See you soon #Australia. Time to go fuccup some aliens. 👽👊🏿👽 Love y'all. #AlienCovenant #BeardGameALMOSTStrong ✌🏿️

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 28, 2016, 08:27:56 PM

I thought I'd already seen that news!  :laugh:

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Maybe he had difficulty finding Australia. You know how bad these Americans are at geography.  ;)

T Dog

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 28, 2016, 08:27:56 PM

Quote from: lv_226 on Apr 28, 2016, 02:59:29 PM

Funnily enough, I remember watching an interview with Scott during the Martian's press tour in which he said he didn't read the book because he didn't want to meddle with the script. Of course The Martian had a great script to start off with, but I think they were really struggling with Prometheus 2.

Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 28, 2016, 01:00:46 PM

To be fair, Alien and Blade Runner turned out great.

Although admittedly, that was quite a long time ago. Back when people still said "no" to him.
The people on the crew and designers etc probably don't say no to him but I think the studio has always had a lot of pull over Ridley. By his own admissions he's a business man first, artist second. I'd put a 100 euro on it that the studio demanded he include the Xeno in Covenant. In the same way the studio, or to be more specific, Tom Rothman, demanded he remove the Xeno from Prometheus. He's always at the mercy of the studio, willing to make significant changes so that he can just make a movie on his conveyor belt of movie output.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 28, 2016, 08:37:52 PM
I'd put a 100 euro on it that the studio demanded he include the Xeno in Covenant. In the same way the studio, or to be more specific, Tom Rothman, demanded he remove the Xeno from Prometheus. He's always at the mercy of the studio, willing to make significant changes so that he can just make a movie on his conveyor belt of movie output.

Most likely, they are forking over a lot of money after all. But Scott does seem to wield a lot of influence at Fox if Weaver's statement about him being responsible for delaying Blomkamp's film are true.

T Dog

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 28, 2016, 08:52:05 PM
Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 28, 2016, 08:37:52 PM
I'd put a 100 euro on it that the studio demanded he include the Xeno in Covenant. In the same way the studio, or to be more specific, Tom Rothman, demanded he remove the Xeno from Prometheus. He's always at the mercy of the studio, willing to make significant changes so that he can just make a movie on his conveyor belt of movie output.

Most likely, they are forking over a lot of money after all. But Scott does seem to wield a lot of influence at Fox if Weaver's statement about him being responsible for delaying Blomkamp's film are true.
Well maybe, but it's also not illogical to see how one film does first before green-lighting the next. They also need to be very careful on how they market each film since each one is coming from the polar opposite end of the series timeline, they need these movies to go out in the least confusing way possible.

Corporal Hicks

Nothing massively exciting.

QuoteWell, working on a couple of sets for Prometheus, or is that alien! And what are we building, ... More f**kin corridors , Star Wars, matrix, Infini, now alien and what do they all have in common, corridors, f**kin corridors, maybe when extraterrestrial s show up here, their spaceships won't have any corridors, then all production designers will have to design ...... Big rooms,!!!!!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 03, 2016, 12:13:52 PM

Just corridors, huh?

Sounds like they are doing corridors for the Covenant then if he's talking about spaceships. Can you ask him what it looks like, is it industrial/grungy looking or clean and futuristic like Prometheus?

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 03, 2016, 04:20:58 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 03, 2016, 12:13:52 PM

Just corridors, huh?

Sounds like they are doing corridors for the Covenant then if he's talking about spaceships. Can you ask him what it looks like, is it industrial/grungy looking or clean and futuristic like Prometheus?

Or is it Gigery?

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 03, 2016, 09:14:39 PM
* Gigeresque

Nah, that would have worked fine in 2015, but I find that we've done away with elegant adjectivy suffixes in the past few months and just started tacking on the letter "y" to just about anything.  Yes, you can now literally turn any noun into an adjective.  Yes, the adjectives are a little nouny, but don't be judgy.

Seriously, am I the only one who has noticed this ridiculous trend?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed