Daniel Twiss Talks Prometheus

Started by Darkness, May 22, 2012, 12:23:58 PM

Author
Daniel Twiss Talks Prometheus (Read 49,905 times)

escroto

escroto

what did I spoil?, he already spoiled It when saying he drinks a substance that literally decomposes him. That inevitably brings waterfall sequence to someone's mind

Skylark Duquesne

Quote from: 180924609 on May 22, 2012, 09:37:49 PM
WARNING - Serious story spoiler THEORY! I mean it! Its a good one though  8).

Spoiler

What if this very human looking 'sacrificial engineer' scene, that presumably takes place at the beginning of the movie during the so called 'beginning of time' sequence, is actually a bluff of Hitchcock proportions...

Imagine if the Dettifoss waterfall scene is actually taking place on a real 'alien' planet (i.e. NOT Earth!) in the distant future when the human race ascend to become the new Gods, the new inter planetary 'engineers'. ("We are the Gods now" - Peter Weyland, 2023)

This Daniel Twiss chap describes his character as a fairly young 'Engineer' - does this mean young as in, his race as a whole have only recently achieved God status?!

Prometheus final scene:
Zoom in on the saucer starship from the beginning of the movie to reveal the Weyland-Yutani logo.
W-Y Planetary Engineering, Building Better Worlds in the year 9595!

[close]

That's a very appealing theory. Engineers as descendants of men.  Space and time travellers.
That would bring a supremely paradoxical answer to the eternal question : who created us ?
We created ourselves. Causality loop. Elsewhere, I suggested the giant stone head resembled Pearce. You seem to second that.
There appears to be dissension among the survivors of that decadent race, judging from the beheaded jockey corpse and the fleeing Engineer. Maybe the conflict revolves around the way history - the past - should be tampered with.
Then there would be something of Bradbury's A Sound of Thunder at the core of Prometheus.
"There will be no home to go back to" possibly means that if the past is once again modified by the Engineers' action, a different species may become dominant on Earth. It does not necessarily entail Armaggedon, or a brutal xenocide, but a cancellation of the random chain of events that led to men.
But then, if Engineers and Men are related, the first would commit suicide by making man extinct...
Oh man, I 'm getting LOST in this (presumably) Lindelof stuff !

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Skylark Duquesne on May 23, 2012, 12:42:23 PMEngineers as descendants of men. Space and time travellers [..] We created ourselves. Causality loop.
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

;D

Quote from: Skylark Duquesne on May 23, 2012, 12:42:23 PM
Quote from: 180924609 on May 22, 2012, 09:37:49 PM
WARNING - Serious story spoiler THEORY! I mean it! Its a good one though  8).

Spoiler

What if this very human looking 'sacrificial engineer' scene, that presumably takes place at the beginning of the movie during the so called 'beginning of time' sequence, is actually a bluff of Hitchcock proportions...

Imagine if the Dettifoss waterfall scene is actually taking place on a real 'alien' planet (i.e. NOT Earth!) in the distant future when the human race ascend to become the new Gods, the new inter planetary 'engineers'. ("We are the Gods now" - Peter Weyland, 2023)

This Daniel Twiss chap describes his character as a fairly young 'Engineer' - does this mean young as in, his race as a whole have only recently achieved God status?!

Prometheus final scene:
Zoom in on the saucer starship from the beginning of the movie to reveal the Weyland-Yutani logo.
W-Y Planetary Engineering, Building Better Worlds in the year 9595!

[close]

That's a very appealing theory. Engineers as descendants of men.  Space and time travellers.
That would bring a supremely paradoxical answer to the eternal question : who created us ?
We created ourselves. Causality loop. Elsewhere, I suggested the giant stone head resembled Pearce. You seem to second that.
There appears to be dissension among the survivors of that decadent race, judging from the beheaded jockey corpse and the fleeing Engineer. Maybe the conflict revolves around the way history - the past - should be tampered with.
Then there would be something of Bradbury's A Sound of Thunder at the core of Prometheus.
"There will be no home to go back to" possibly means that if the past is once again modified by the Engineers' action, a different species may become dominant on Earth. It does not necessarily entail Armaggedon, or a brutal xenocide, but a cancellation of the random chain of events that led to men.
But then, if Engineers and Men are related, the first would commit suicide by making man extinct...
Oh man, I 'm getting LOST in this (presumably) Lindelof stuff !

Thats not quite what I was driving at.  ;)

Spoiler

I actually proposed that the scene at the waterfall has nothing to do with Earth - it is just 'A Planet' in deep space in the far distant future. Mankind has evolved into a superior species, taking over as the new galactic engineers, and starting the cycle all over again. This scene is actually taking place long, long after the events of Prometheus!

What you are witnessing is Earth2 (3, 4...?!), started by human God-like descendants of Earth or at least, Weyland-Yutani Galacticorp circa the year 10,000!!

This would be a 'get out of jail free' card for me because it then means that we, the viewer did not actually witness Earth's prehistory at all in this movie. Leaving the exact details of the creation of life intact.

Probably wont be the case tho >:(
[close]

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: 180924609 on May 23, 2012, 01:17:02 PMMankind has evolved into a superior species, taking over as the new galactic engineers, and starting the cycle all over again. [..] This would be a 'get out of jail free' card for me because it then means that we, the viewer did not actually witness Earth's prehistory at all in this movie. Leaving the exact details of the creation of life intact.

That is circular logic though. It allows for any other alien race to also attain the same status. If we can evolve to be galactic engineers then any other species can do the same, and there is no reason that precludes that species from starting life as we know it. It assumes that life began on earth and nowhere else.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: 180924609 on May 23, 2012, 01:17:02 PM

Thats not quite what I was driving at.  ;)

Spoiler

I actually proposed that the scene at the waterfall has nothing to do with Earth - it is just 'A Planet' in deep space in the far distant future. Mankind has evolved into a superior species, taking over as the new galactic engineers, and starting the cycle all over again. This scene is actually taking place long, long after the events of Prometheus!

What you are witnessing is Earth2 (3, 4...?!), started by human God-like descendants of Earth or at least, Weyland-Yutani Galacticorp circa the year 10,000!!

This would be a 'get out of jail free' card for me because it then means that we, the viewer did not actually witness Earth's prehistory at all in this movie. Leaving the exact details of the creation of life intact.

Probably wont be the case tho >:(
[close]

I like it!  Nice idea, and thinking "outside the box".  Well done, 180924609. Although, you are almost certainly right...it ain't gonna happen.  Also, it still begs the question as to why the SJ/engineers look are basically human/humanoid.  You gotta' work that into your theory somehow.   ;)

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 23, 2012, 01:38:15 PM

That is circular logic though. It allows for any other alien race to also attain the same status. If we can evolve to be galactic engineers then any other species can do the same, and there is no reason that precludes that species from starting life as we know it. It assumes that life began on earth and nowhere else.

I am thinking, Chris, that 180924609's hypothesis might still work if the term "galactic" engineers is more a metaphor.  In other words, there still exists the possibility for Life arising through completely "natural" processes throughout our Galaxy (and the Universe, in general).  The previous SJ/engineers, and their inheritors (us, in 180924609's hypothesis) only control a local (small) area of the Galaxy...and terra-form and seed Life throughout their small neighborhood.  Possibly, there are other advanced civilizations doing the same thing in other parts of our Galaxy.  So, there is a mix of intelligent Panspermia, as well as true ambiogenesis occuring at all times somewhere throughout the Milky Way.

Again, just expanding on 180924609's original idea, as a kind of fun thought experiment.

What are your thoughts?

mastermoon

mastermoon

Prometheus pretty much distance itself from the two Alien vs Predator movies.

Spoiler
In the original Alien, the crew encounter the 'Space Jockey', now known as an 'Engineer' (the name for the alien race) however, as this is a semi-prequel, the 'Engineers' have a much bigger part to play. My character is that of a fairly young 'Engineer' who ritualistically sacrifices himself in the opening scene. This sacrifice is very different to any others as I have to drink an ancient mix which causes my body to literally disintegrate into the water around me. This then provides the first building blocks for new life to form on the alien planet. There are two other 'Engineers' who are in the rest of the film and have fairly large parts, but you will have to wait for release to find out more.
[close]

AVP movies did no justice for the series for having such a half assed origin of how Weyland Industries discovered the Alien.

Skylark Duquesne

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 23, 2012, 01:38:15 PM
Quote from: 180924609 on May 23, 2012, 01:17:02 PMMankind has evolved into a superior species, taking over as the new galactic engineers, and starting the cycle all over again. [..] This would be a 'get out of jail free' card for me because it then means that we, the viewer did not actually witness Earth's prehistory at all in this movie. Leaving the exact details of the creation of life intact.

However great or godlike we might become one day, we will remain what we started as : somebody else's robots performing a programme whose finality cannot be apprehended.
David is pissed because he was made superior to man and yet is perceived as a dummy by his makers, the human crew suffer a major blow to their ego when they realize their makers were less than gods (and hardly good-mannered according to Sir Ridley), and the Engineers...?

The debate about whether we are alone or not in the universe is a moot one indeed. What matters is that intelligent life did appear somewhere in the cosmos, and that we are sure of. If the Milky Way is not teeming with life right now, it will be in a few billion years. Even if the many species that will populate it are all of human descent, they will necessarily be very diverse in morphology and culture due to their evolving in totally different environments - and their tinkering with their own genes.

In Charles Sheffield 's "Sight of Proteus", men have become so apt at transforming themselves through genetical engineering that the term "human" has been totally redefined. Hopefully Prometheus will induce us to redefine the term "alien".

If it does not, no big deal so long as it's a hell of a ghost train ride.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Deuterium on May 23, 2012, 02:33:44 PMSo, there is a mix of intelligent Panspermia, as well as true ambiogenesis occuring at all times somewhere throughout the Milky Way.

Yes I think it's a good idea too, I guess my point was that it doesn't need to be a future evolution of us traveling back in time to create ourselves. If we can do it, some other species can do it; if we can create life and somehow guide it to becoming like ourselves, then so can any other life form. There is no need for us to be the originators of the human form to my mind. And as you say, if humans were created by an intelligent species (or our own time traveling ancestors) it doesn't automatically preclude life arising naturally elsewhere. The engineers might be an evolution of 'first' life, or maybe they were also created by another species who is an evolution of 'first' life, etc.

Quote from: Skylark Duquesne on May 24, 2012, 12:40:30 AMHowever great or godlike we might become one day, we will remain what we started as : somebody else's robots performing a programme whose finality cannot be apprehended.

Bleak mate, bleak! But also kind of poetic... ;)

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 24, 2012, 12:45:40 AM
Quote from: Deuterium on May 23, 2012, 02:33:44 PMSo, there is a mix of intelligent Panspermia, as well as true ambiogenesis occuring at all times somewhere throughout the Milky Way.

Yes I think it's a good idea too, I guess my point was that it doesn't need to be a future evolution of us traveling back in time to create ourselves. If we can do it, some other species can do it; if we can create life and somehow guide it to becoming like ourselves, then so can any other life form. There is no need for us to be the originators of the human form to my mind. And as you say, if humans were created by an intelligent species (or our own time traveling ancestors) it doesn't automatically preclude life arising naturally elsewhere. The engineers might be an evolution of 'first' life, or maybe they were also created by another species who is an evolution of 'first' life, etc.

Oh yes, I agree...backwards time travel is a deal breaker, and I will personally throw my popcorn at the screen if Prometheus invokes this concept in any way, shape, or form. 

NGR01

NGR01

"We call them Engineers.
Why?
Because they Engineered us."

Hum... OK....

ThisBethesdaSea

But who made the engineers?

NGR01

NGR01

There is no ending to that ^^
I just find how they get the name quite lame.
I would have prefered that they did not named them on screen.
OH WATCH OUT THE ENGINEER IS COMING!!!!
THAT ENGINEER IS REALLY MEAN...

"We call them creators.
Why?
Because they created us."

Skylark Duquesne

"Creator" has a religious connotation, it evokes a fearful reverence or subservience.
"Engineer" suggests a colder, mathematical mind, with dark designs and cryptic motivations.
I have an impression (which might prove completely wrong) that Scott's intention is to debunk the delusion(s) at the core of all monotheistic creeds.

NGR01

NGR01

I tought the same thing.
But this is not the implcations that bother or interest me.
It's to call them out loud like this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed