News and Social Media posts regarding Alien: Covenant

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Nov 07, 2015, 02:09:21 PM

Author
News and Social Media posts regarding Alien: Covenant (Read 559,506 times)

SiL

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 11, 2016, 09:14:47 PM
:laugh: That my friend is sadly not the Alien or Blade Runner Ridley who was responsible for setting a new benchmark for science fiction films. On Alien and Blade Runner, Ridley was way behind schedule and over budget. He had completion bond guarantors on set shouting at him, telling him to hurry-up or cut this or cut that. A week after finally wrapping on Blade Runner, Ridley was officially fired from the production. But he just said; "f*ck it" and continued to work on the picture despite that minor little technicality. Those were the days when he did on average 15 to 20 takes after taking about 5 hours to set up the shot. He was a relentless perfectionist. He created science-fiction art films that defined the genre.

Fast forward to the present day when he does everything in 2 takes, 3 tops. An oiled movie production conveyor belt designed to churn-out movies virtually effortlessly and with minimum drama. But I can't really blame him, a director who's always over schedule and over budget is not going to last long in this business.
You're comparing someone in his 30s working on his first two major studio films to someone in his 70s working on his 25th-ish. His productions are quicker because 1) The dude has learned over 30 years and B) He's now Sir Ridley Scott, Hey Look Guys, It's Ridley Scott Making a Movie. He has clout. Instead of people constantly telling him he can't he's surrounded by people saying "Yes, sir, absolutely, sir, whatever you want, sir."

NickisSmart

BishopShouldGo

Lol setting a benchmark...Prometheus and The Martian are just as good as Alien and Blade Runner. Many view the past with rose-tinted glasses.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 12, 2016, 12:55:07 AM
Lol setting a benchmark...Prometheus and The Martian are just as good as Alien and Blade Runner. Many view the past with rose-tinted glasses.

I agree.  Prometheus and Martian are fantastic.  Even Prom's blunders don't detract from it being an epic, awesome film (too much).

whiterabbit

Just rewatched Prometheus last night and damn, is it a fine movie. I'm also slowly coming to the conclusion that Ridley Scott was spot on in making the scientist dumbasses. You can already see it today; perfectly fine individuals making boneheaded decisions one after another.

The movie is also intelligent. It teases while introducing an expanded universe where there is a reason where man must be exterminated. Also the universe is cold and unwelcoming. None of this good fortune bullshit. :P

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 11, 2016, 08:43:49 PM
Just a few samples from Steven Messing. Epic scale, biomechanical elements, dark moody atmosphere. There's a lot more out there.

As beautiful as Prometheus was, there's so much concept art that would have looked just as, if not more, impressive than what we ended up with on screen.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 11, 2016, 09:14:47 PM
Fast forward to the present day when he does everything in 2 takes, 3 tops. An oiled movie production conveyor belt designed to churn-out movies virtually effortlessly and with minimum drama. But I can't really blame him, a director who's always over schedule and over budget is not going to last long in this business.

He plays the Hollywood game very well. Can't fault him for it - it's a business, after all and if he's capable of playing that game while making the films he wants to, go for it. Just hoping that the film he wants is what we also want this time around.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 12, 2016, 01:02:31 AM

I agree.  Prometheus and Martian are fantastic.  Even Prom's blunders don't detract from it being an epic, awesome film (too much).

Alien and Blade Runner (more so Alien) did set benchmarks. Alien was so influential on the genre. Prometheus isn't as good as Alien or Blade Runner. It may look pretty but it wont have the same sort of impact than Alien or Blade Runner had on future films. Not in a million years. The Martian is awesome though. It proved to us that Scott was still capable of making great films.

Quote from: SiL on Jul 11, 2016, 10:36:54 PM
Instead of people constantly telling him he can't he's surrounded by people saying "Yes, sir, absolutely, sir, whatever you want, sir."

And that is the real problem.

Corporal Hicks

From an actress (I think) sharing this photo:

https://www.facebook.com/PrometheusMovies/photos/a.112785492151850.19023.111092022321197/1021526084611115/?type=3

QuoteI wasn't really thinking too much as I walked onto the ship but the detailing does embed in ones mind, on a grand scale.

Denton Smalls

Ohhhh nice!

So you think there will be another derelict/juggernaut or some sort of Engineer craft?

Corporal Hicks

I reckon we'll be getting some Engineer or Jockey facility/ship. I did hear that there was a ship model seen on location at the quarry but nothing concrete.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Enoch on Jul 11, 2016, 10:11:57 PM
Yes, you are right; but there are some advantages when you do only few takes!
He filmed Alien that way, and the best reactions are often spontaneous, not rehearsed ones.

It was on Alien that he first developed his reputation for endless takes. Sure, there are a few genuine reaction shots (Kane's last supper) but those weren't the norm.

QuoteIts not only because studios are demanding faster pace that Ridley decided to do lees takes, but
because there are a greater chances to create more real situations in that way. Blame lame actors and
illogical scripts... becuause those two are the main reason Ridley has failed in few of his previous movies,
not because he is doing only few takes.

If you're filming something like District 9 with a documentary feel while working with improv actors like Sharlto Copley, then sure, one or two takes are all you need. But it's not Ridley Scott's style of film-making.

Quoteand the other problem
is the presence of unconvincing actors.

Ridley Scott works with the best actors in the business. Did Robin Hood suck because Russell Crow and Cate Blanchett are unconvincing actors?

Quote from: Stolen on Jul 11, 2016, 10:15:55 PM
Ridley is still perfectionist, but he is much experienced now. He knows that time is money, so he turns with 4, 5 or 7 cameras simultaneously. The first/two takes are always the best.

Unfortunately multiple cameras don't allow you to get a better performance from an actor. You still get the same performance, just from a different angle.

Quote from: SiL on Jul 11, 2016, 10:36:54 PM
You're comparing someone in his 30s working on his first two major studio films to someone in his 70s working on his 25th-ish.

I'm comparing someone in his prime (40's) with a shit-tonne of previous experience in commercials to someone in his 70's who's getting on a bit.

QuoteHe's now Sir Ridley Scott, Hey Look Guys, It's Ridley Scott Making a Movie. He has clout. Instead of people constantly telling him he can't he's surrounded by people saying "Yes, sir, absolutely, sir, whatever you want, sir."

Which is probably a bad thing as no-one dares to stand-up to him anymore and tell him when he has come-up with a genuine bad idea. Same story with George Lucas.

The bottom line is, he's simply not that into making genre defining classics as he was in his 40's.

Seriously dude...

oduodu

Why did robin hood suck? It told the pre story of what set the robin hood events in place.  A prequel if you will. It also seemed more factual. I liked it. It just lacked a climax is all.

Ïf a lack of competition and abundance in complacency is the reason why people are not performing as of old then how do you remedy that?

I am asking because I have no idea. Maybe testosterone injections? LOL!

Denton Smalls

QuoteI reckon we'll be getting some Engineer or Jockey facility/ship. I did hear that there was a ship model seen on location at the quarry but nothing concrete.

That's great news, this movie is sounding better and better. Seems like he got the ring rust off with Prometheus and is ready to go full throttle back to Alien.

oduodu

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/letter-to-ridley-scott/

Quote:

His legacy is beyond reproach. Over the span of three decades he gave us a varied filmography that went fromAlientoBlade RunnertoThelma and LouisetoGladiator. That'samazing, and the man clearly has nothing left to prove, which is why it might be time for him to walk away from making movies for awhile.
Ridley Scott does not read his critics.

End quote

True?

Corporal Hicks

About him not reading critics? Yeah. I've seen him say that somewhere before.

oduodu

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 12, 2016, 07:37:58 PM
About him not reading critics? Yeah. I've seen him say that somewhere before.

Yes but also the whole tone of the article. I have read somewhere that Ridley says that everything has been done there is nothing new to explore. So won't movie making for him end up  being just about artfull expression rather than a movie complete in all respects?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed