Michael Biehn "Optimistic" About Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 15, 2015, 11:36:24 AM

Author
Michael Biehn "Optimistic" About Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 (Read 45,966 times)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 15, 2015, 04:37:09 PM
You and the majority I would imagine.

And, ironically, David Fincher.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 15, 2015, 09:58:38 PM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 15, 2015, 08:00:03 PM
Now we got two timelines like the Halloween and Godzilla franchises. Assuming what I said above doesn't hold true with Hick in the shower.

That's assuming that this movie gets made, I am very cautious now what with Bloody Disgusting's theorizing.

Link me to the page, brother. I'm without a computer, so my phone is my only means to internet.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 15, 2015, 10:34:56 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Aug 15, 2015, 09:58:38 PM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 15, 2015, 08:00:03 PM
Now we got two timelines like the Halloween and Godzilla franchises. Assuming what I said above doesn't hold true with Hick in the shower.

That's assuming that this movie gets made, I am very cautious now what with Bloody Disgusting's theorizing.

Link me to the page, brother. I'm without a computer, so my phone is my only means to internet.

I think Predxeno is referring to this:
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3357375/michael-biehn-updates-neill-blomkamps-alien/

Having read it, I think it's a bit reach-y. I don't take the release of the new concept piece back in July as a bad sign. The only thing I think of as potentially worrisome is that nobody has actually signed on to the movie yet, at least that we know of.

If Fox doesn't make some kind of official announcement by Christmas, I'll start to really worry. Then again, they did make Tim Lebbon alter his new books because of the movie, so that's encouraging.

predxeno

^Yeah, that's the one; a retcon of Alien 3 and the deaths of so many main characters is something I've wanted for the LONGEST time so now that that dream has been realized, I'm quite concerned it's going to be taken away.

marrerom

I've just read the bloody disgusting article and I'm seriously hoping it's accurate. Blomkamps vision for the series is just wrong. Retcon's are lazy, uncreative, and disrespectful of what came before. It is a misguided approach and shouldn't be persued.  I also suspect that he is insisting on total creative freedom when it comes to the writing and directing of this film which is something he hasn't earned judging by the quality of his last two films. I'm very sad at how this whole thing is turning out. I've been dying for an alien 5 ever since I saw alien resurrection.

Ultramorph

I just tweeted at Blomkamp in the small hope that he actually replies or gives some sign. I'm not holding my breath, though.

https://twitter.com/grnbrmdd12/status/632684095319969792

Hemi

Quote from: marrerom on Aug 15, 2015, 11:17:59 PM
I've just read the bloody disgusting article and I'm seriously hoping it's accurate. Blomkamps vision for the series is just wrong. Retcon's are lazy, uncreative, and disrespectful of what came before. It is a misguided approach and shouldn't be persued.  I also suspect that he is insisting on total creative freedom when it comes to the writing and directing of this film which is something he hasn't earned judging by the quality of his last two films. I'm very sad at how this whole thing is turning out. I've been dying for an alien 5 ever since I saw alien resurrection.

^ This

Retcon will not help this franchise at all. Introduce new stuff and make sure it's good. Start over with new characters and let Ripley be. She's dead, Hicks is dead and Newt is dead too. For me, it's a finished chapter.

predxeno

I'm all for a separate universe, it would certainly solve many of the canon debates that this forum has been having over the years.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 16, 2015, 12:04:34 AM
I'm all for a separate universe, it would certainly solve many of the canon debates that this forum has been having over the years.

THIS!! GIVE US THIS!!

That's the only potential positive I see in this.

predxeno

And even then, I bet there will still be canon wars. :laugh:  The people who invent the canon don't even follow their own rules.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 16, 2015, 12:17:01 AM
And even then, I bet there will still be canon wars. :laugh:  The people who invent the canon don't even follow their own rules.

Who would care anymore? No one would be wrong!!

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Ultramorph on Aug 15, 2015, 10:39:08 PM
The only thing I think of as potentially worrisome is that nobody has actually signed on to the movie yet, at least that we know of.

Weaver clearly has.

Quote from: marrerom on Aug 15, 2015, 11:17:59 PM
Blomkamps vision for the series is just wrong.

The only stuff we know about his vision, is that he wants to bring back psychosexual horror, biomechanical aesthetics and to emulate the presentation style of the 'Isolation' game.

Those are good developments.

QuoteRetcon's are lazy, uncreative, and disrespectful of what came before.

That seems to be more due to Weaver than him. Ironically, she was actually one of the longest voices of support for the third film (the polar opposite of its own director's view). Seems she changed her perspective and feels that, whatever this story involves, it now allows for the most compelling way to expand on the series.

As I've written before, it is quite possible that we'll be getting a modified form of various elements which were going to have featured in the Scott/Cameron/Weaver collaboration project.

Kel G 426

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 15, 2015, 06:28:30 PM
As long as we don't see Ripley waking up in bed only to find Hicks in the shower, I'm fine with this.

Nothing would put a bigger smile on my face.  :D

CainsSon

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 16, 2015, 12:17:01 AM

It's hard to remain optimistic for me. Not even because I'm against the retcon, which I am (of ALIEN 3 only) but because I just don't think Alien 3 or 4 are bad enough, or should I say, I am apprehensive that they can make Blomkamp's ALIEN film better than both of those films, enough to warrant a retcon. So, oddly enough, it's hard for me to say 'Yes, that's a justifiable idea!' because I have yet to hear the idea that FOX and BLOMKAMP think warrants a retcon.
Are you all convinced this Alien film is going to be better than the last 5? I am fine with A3, and PROMETHEUS. But if I had to take a shot in the dark, based off BLOMKAMP's previous films, I would say the only Alien films I am sure he can do better than are A:R and the AVP crap fests.
Of course, its absurd to expect to read a script and have this question answered but a central concept, not so much. Eventually we will have some idea as to what makes them all so eager.

In regards to whether this can still fall through, and Biehn's report of never having read a script or receiving an offer, I would almost guarantee that someone at FOX will be asking BLOMKAMP to try and find a way to NOT explicitly ( EXPLICITLY being the keyword ) undue those films and then they will decide how to proceed based on his ability to do so.
I say this because it's no skin of their back to request this, and the producers will try to come up with something themselves.

Still, if they are going to bring Hicks back, EXPLICITLY, then they may as well retcon it.

Gridseeker

I´m also for the separate or alternate universe and because I don´t hate Alien 3 and Resurrection, even Prometheus deserves to be in the canon of the film universe (yeah, it has it´s troubles but still way better than both craps of AVP flicks).
Alien 3 it´s a masterpiece in it´s own terms due the pre production issues, even Neil stated that we wouldn´t touch the last two Alien movies but you never know, he probably changed of mind but still I think the alternate universe is the only way to fill the expectatives of those who either love Alien 3 or both Alien 3 and Resurrection or those who hate both movies.
Still i think the only piece of the Alien universe that should be banned, erased and become "uncannon" is that travesty called ACM.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed