Alien: River of Pain (Book 3) - Reviews

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:36:08 PM

Author
Alien: River of Pain (Book 3) - Reviews (Read 41,954 times)

Engineer

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on May 25, 2017, 02:16:07 PM
Oh no! Well if that's the case, I suppose I could host my copy somewhere.

Or... it might be the site is about to go down for a relaunch. I'm not sure which.

It's worth looking for a copy though. I picked up a hard-cover copy a while back. Fantastic read.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Engineer on May 25, 2017, 02:21:09 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on May 25, 2017, 02:16:07 PM
Oh no! Well if that's the case, I suppose I could host my copy somewhere.

Or... it might be the site is about to go down for a relaunch. I'm not sure which.

It's worth looking for a copy though. I picked up a hard-cover copy a while back. Fantastic read.
It's also available in paperback, I happen to own this version:

https://www.amazon.com/Who-Goes-There-Novella-Formed/dp/0982332203

Engineer

I just checked and outpost31 is still up and the novel still available. But better go get it fast! It's going down very soon and that novel might be lost in the shuffle!

Hicks, xenomorphine, HuDaFuk, and everyone else involved in the podcast... I have an idea for you for a future episode. I think it would be cool to hear you guys discuss the stories and compare/contrast river of pain, newts tale, ADFs adaptation and the movie. It's kind of funny, the way it worked out, newts tale is a (very) abbreviated version of what you would get if you read river of pain and ADFs adaptation back to back...

dave1978

dave1978

WOW,  just finished listening to the Audiobook.   The story is something i have talked about a few times in the forum as an idea for an additional movie.  I think the post was something along the lines of    "Aliens,  The Fight for LV436"   i had no idea there was a book that was basically what i was thinking about. 

Well onto the Audio book,  its almost 5 hours long but really well done,  talk about a harrowing depserate fight to survive.  The sneaky Weyland scientists,  the marines and the colonists are really well thought out and Newt's family especially her mother,  you feel it all.  Some good stuff in the derelict with Newts parents.

Good sound effects although the pulse rifles are a little off but overall very good.

And lastly,  poor Newt,  how sad was that ending.

Prez

I've read all the three books and enjoyed both Audio dramas (Out of the Shadows & River of Pain) immensely.

Both were really well produced and acted.

Hope they do Sea of Sorrows now.

Robopadna

Was It River of Pain that had me entirely confused as to what the main characters encountered?  It seemed to clearly be discussing an engineer ship but then took a weird left turn and had it made by dog aliens or something?  It was entirely jarring.

HuDaFuK

That was Out of the Shadows.

Robopadna

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 01, 2017, 06:00:09 PM
That was Out of the Shadows.

What was going on there?  Were we meant to understand that another race stole a juggernaut?  Or that the engineers stole it form them?  Or were they meant to be engineers?  Or everyone uses these ships?

Corporal Hicks

Completely separate entities.

Robopadna

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 01, 2017, 08:05:00 PM
Completely separate entities.

Was the ship intended to be the same?  Because it certainly seemed like they were describing a juggernaut.

Ultramorph

That was a different race, the Drukathi. Their ships are organic rather than biomechanical.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Robopadna on Jun 01, 2017, 08:15:25 PMWas the ship intended to be the same?  Because it certainly seemed like they were describing a juggernaut.

Not really, it's described as having wings and a giant tail fin. No Engineer ship shown in the films looks that much like a conventional aircraft.

I agree all the talk about it being organically grown had me thinking it was Engineers at first, but the reveal that it wasn't suddenly made sense of its appearance.

Corporal Hicks

I envisioned it as looking more like a Wraith ship than an Engineers hip.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jun 01, 2017, 08:18:01 PM
That was a different race, the Drukathi. Their ships are organic rather than biomechanical.

Oh so they got a name. Finally, I was tired of always calling them dog-like aliens.

Have the author ever revealed more backstory on them?

Corporal Hicks

They get some extra stuff throughout the Rage Wars. But they're more of a background player, if you could consider them that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed