Alien 1 ship

Started by silversurfer, Mar 15, 2007, 01:05:05 PM

Author
Alien 1 ship (Read 4,317 times)

SiL

SiL

I think it's more than a little egotistical to think that an alien species would bother going all the way through space carrying a highly deadly cargo to come kill us all for something we mightn't even do...

SM

SM

And then set up a warning about the cargo they were going to inflict on us.

QuoteHow do we know that there aren't already primitive starships exploring the outer solar-system and nearby stars?

Because NASA would be trumpeting it from the rooftops.  Public interest = more funding.

Pax

Pax

Quote from: SiL on Mar 22, 2007, 10:15:34 PM
I think it's more than a little egotistical to think that an alien species would bother going all the way through space carrying a highly deadly cargo to come kill us all for something we mightn't even do...
Maybe, but I could imagine an equally egotistical race dropping some fire-and-forget Alien bombs on a world, not out of fear of what the inhabitants would do if they ever got off the planet, but because they're greedy, and they want to claim all of space for their own, and because we'd be easier to wipe out while we're all cooped up on one planet.  As you can see, I tend to prefer the Pilot race to be a bit like assholes.

And then set up a warning about the cargo they were going to inflict on us.
Then again, that's a damn good point.  Nevermind.

-Pax

Extroheal

Extroheal

The nature of the Pilot race and their connection with the aliens has never been properly explained. In his director's commentary Ridley Scott theorizes that the Derelict was a bomber that would drop alien eggs. They were featured in the novel Earth Hive but I haven't read it yet. In the novel Original Sin they're called the Mala'kak and they've had secret illegal dealings with humans for thousands of years. They told the humans where to find the Derelict in exchange for colonization rights to some planet. In the comic Aliens Apocalypse - The Destroying Angels the Pilot race has been extinct for billions of years after the aliens exterminated them. One of them has survived in stasis but gets killed. The new novel Steel Egg will probably feature the Pilot race and maybe it will finally explain whether they created the aliens or not.

Contrary to popular belief, the idea that the Pilot race created the aliens comes from fan-fiction and not from comics and novels.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Remember, the pilot was fossilised.  The derelict could have been there for millions of years.  Earth only developed space age tech in the last 60 years or so.

SM

SM

QuoteRemember, the pilot was fossilised.

A common misconception.

We don't know that it was fossilised, since we don't know what a live Jockey looks like.

The Derelict might've been there for millennia; it might've only been there for as little as a couple of years.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: SM on Apr 11, 2007, 10:57:48 PM
QuoteRemember, the pilot was fossilised.

A common misconception.

We don't know that it was fossilised, since we don't know what a live Jockey looks like.

The Derelict might've been there for millennia; it might've only been there for as little as a couple of years.

It was in the script.  It think Dallas said it.

SM

SM

So?

Dallas "just runs the ship".  He's not a scientist.

He also said it "looks like it grew right out of the chair" but we don't know whether that's true or not either.

SiL

SiL

Looking at the model, there's no discernible difference between where the Jockey ends and the chair begins. Its arms are part of the arm rest, and its torso melds into the apparatus itself. Evidence needs to be supplied saying it wasn't growing out of its chair, not the other way around.

SM

SM

I much prefer to think it grew out of the chair, rather than the Jockies we got from Dark Horse.  Those anthropomorphic Jockies were a bit too ordinary.

However, that's not really the point.  The point is it's open to debate - just like the Jockey being fossilised is open to debate.

SiL

SiL

Only open to debate if someone can prove that it's not actually growing out, which it rather clearly is.

SM

SM

I don't think it's "rather clearly" anything.

We simply don't know enough about it to be definative.  And sometimes it's more fun that way.

Newsfop

Newsfop

Then I want to tell the government that I want my $250 bucks back that I had to pay in this year unless they can give me a lift to Vega. I need some down time after scrounging about as a department manager of a craft store.  >:(

orion24

orion24

How did the aliens get off their planet without a ship?

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

huh? What do you mean? They were in the Jockey ship.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed