In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Aug 29, 2019, 09:56:05 AM

Author
In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise? (Read 33,870 times)

HuDaFuK

The "I died" bit always makes me smile too.

Huggs

Resurrection gets at least 1 star from me, just for Mike Wincott.

SM

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 30, 2019, 10:25:54 PM

Couple of my faves are:

"Does that compute?  Or do I have to draw you a schematic?"
"Hey, I'm not the mechanic, ironsides!  I mostly just hurt people."

Even the latter line was improved from Whedon's clunky "I mostly just hurt guys".

At the other end of the spectrum...

RIPLEY - Get away from me.

JOHNER - Why should I?

RIPLEY - Because pain hurts.

Corporal Hicks

That's probably my favorite bit of humor in the film. I think it works when it's being dry like that.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Oct 30, 2019, 10:32:33 PM"Hey, I'm not the mechanic, ironsides!  I mostly just hurt people."

I'd forgotten about Johner calling Vriess Ironsides. Yeah, that one gets me too :)

[cancerblack]

It's a quality gag, and one of the few that fits well with previous entries in the series.

However, I still maintain that it's a good-but-not-great movie - without any caveats or conditions like so many apply to it. None of this "good sci-fi, bad Alien" stuff.

However, basically everything sucks compared to Alien and Aliens, so that's a dishonest metric. As an admittedly unnecessary and gimmicky continuation of the Ripley story, it manages to be both an exploration of the weirder aspects of the franchise and an absolutely gorgeous funhouse ride.

And I'll defend it to the bitter end as a decent, strange, nightmarish Alien flick.

EJA

As flawed as it is, I'd take A3 over Resurrection any day.

SM

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 31, 2019, 10:03:34 AM

It's a quality gag, and one of the few that fits well with previous entries in the series.

However, I still maintain that it's a good-but-not-great movie - without any caveats or conditions like so many apply to it. None of this "good sci-fi, bad Alien" stuff.

However, basically everything sucks compared to Alien and Aliens, so that's a dishonest metric. As an admittedly unnecessary and gimmicky continuation of the Ripley story, it manages to be both an exploration of the weirder aspects of the franchise and an absolutely gorgeous funhouse ride.

And I'll defend it to the bitter end as a decent, strange, nightmarish Alien flick.

All this.

Kradan

Quote from: EJA on Oct 31, 2019, 12:31:06 PM

Huggs

Huggs

Resurrection is...tolerable. Like a trip to the bathroom, if you dare to look at the end product for what it is, you see it's just a poo circling the drain in a shameful display of indifference. An unrecognizable hodgepodge of everything that was once grand and good, now coated in dirtiness.

One can either accept its existence as part of life, or continue to mourn for what could've been.

Stitch

Quote from: EJA on Oct 31, 2019, 12:31:06 PM
Yep

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 31, 2019, 08:36:36 PM
Resurrection is...tolerable. Like a trip to the bathroom, if you dare to look at the end product for what it is, you see it's just a poo circling the drain in a shameful display of indifference. An unrecognizable hodgepodge of everything that was once grand and good, now coated in dirtiness.

One can either accept its existence as part of life, or continue to mourn for what could've been.

I've said it before, Rez is to Alien as Hot Shots is to Top Gun

Huggs

I used to be able to enjoy it as an alien film. But having just watched it for the first time in awhile, the faults are becoming a bit more obvious now. The humor is good, but that's where the quality stopped for me.

Mike Wincott is still the man though.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Oct 31, 2019, 09:37:17 PMI've said it before, Rez is to Alien as Hot Shots is to Top Gun

Hardly.

One is a black comedy with a lot of serious dark and f*cked up stuff in it, the other is outright slapstick.

Huggs

Part 2 was pretty good.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed