Prometheus Set & Location Pictures

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 08, 2011, 09:38:34 AM

Author
Prometheus Set & Location Pictures (Read 81,884 times)

Vulhala

Vulhala

I wasn't offended mate :laugh:

I don't see how you can call it a mistake when we've seen literally f**k all of the film though.

Wwarez

Wwarez

Quote from: Ash 937 on Oct 08, 2011, 10:37:15 AM
I don't mean to offend anyone with my comment.  I'm just pointing out that this whole film can be done more practically and efficiently with today's technology.  The guys who do CGI are also craftsmen in their own right...and if you look at films like Star Wars Ep 1-3, you can really tell how authentic everything can look with modern computer tech.  I think a lot of fans of the Alien movies don't trust CGI because they had a bad experience with the way things looked in Alien3...but that was 20 years ago and technology has come so far since then.  I thin FOX should have insisted on using Industrial Light and Magic to make this film...but since they didn't, I guess we can just file this one under the long list of mistakes that FOX has made with this franchise since the 1990's.
f
I really want to offend you with mine. The Star Wars Ep 1-3 looked like god damn cartoons, especially 2-3, where every set was made with green screen. Actors have a hard time working with environments like that, just look at the wooden acting in these films.

Glaive

Glaive

CGI is a tool. first and foremost...It's not something you automatically 'go-to', just for the sake of 'using CGI'.
The BEST directors know the palette they wish to use on their film...they know which to use, which to combine; much like ALL great artists.

Ridley KNOWS...

Valaquen

I don't mean to offend anyone with my comment.  I'm just pointing out that this whole film can be done more practically and efficiently with today's technology.  The guys who do CGI are also craftsmen in their own right...and if you look at films like Star Wars Ep 1-3, you can really tell how authentic everything can look with modern computer tech.  I think a lot of fans of the Alien movies don't trust CGI because they had a bad experience with the way things looked in Alien3...but that was 20 years ago and technology has come so far since then.  I thin FOX should have insisted on using Industrial Light and Magic to make this film...but since they didn't, I guess we can just file this one under the long list of mistakes that FOX has made with this franchise since the 1990's.
lawl

Feral_PRED

Self-Destruct

There's a lot more to a movie than just effects mate. Look at Avatar, considered one of the greatest movies ever made, it was almost entirely CGI but it had a story that kept you hooked.

Personally I like seeing something real on screen. In my opinion that's what made the original Star Wars trilogy great, you could tell that the actors were on a physical set and you could see them interact with that set in a realistic way. I'm not saying CGI is bad, but personally I love that Ridley is using physical sets where possible.

MrSpaceJockey

If there any proof that they are using miniatures or CG, anyway?  I guess the later would be more likely this day in age...as long as its not over the top zooming and explosions, I want a sloth of a ship.

Zenzucht

I LOVE Star Wars, but to be honest, CGI still can't beat real build set, although Avatar made a huge leap concerning of reality of CGI.

Self-Destruct

Quote from: Zenzucht on Oct 08, 2011, 11:48:00 AM
I LOVE Star Wars, but to be honest, CGI still can't beat real build set, although Avatar made a huge leap concerning of reality of CGI.

There's no doubt about that.

But with a movie like this, a movie that's set in space, you're going to see a plethora of CGI shots; exterior hull shots, other planets, etc... Personally I would like to see as many physical sets as possible.

Glaive

Glaive

Quote from: Self-Destruct on Oct 08, 2011, 11:50:49 AM

But with a movie like this, a movie that's set in space, you're going to see a plethora of CGI shots; exterior hull shots, other planets, etc... Personally I would like to see as many physical sets as possible.

'Moon' would tend to disagree with you...

Self-Destruct

Self-Destruct

Quote from: Glaive on Oct 08, 2011, 12:05:15 PM
Quote from: Self-Destruct on Oct 08, 2011, 11:50:49 AM

'Moon' would tend to disagree with you...
"Moon"  ???

Look into my eye

Attn Studio Execs: You're Delusional, and Your CGI SUCKS.
Posted By MrDisgusting October 6, 2011 @ 2:05pm

Dear Hollywood Executive,

Your CGI sucks. You're delusional to think that it doesn't. And don't deny it, because I know damn well that most of you use it because it's "easier".

Nowadays, video game graphics look better than the crap you use in your movies. Just to put it in perspective for you, most game graphics even look better than James Cameron's $500 million Avatar. Your average movie rarely tops $50 million. Think about that.

Using CGI to clean up "problematic" practical effects or for very miner touch-ups is acceptable, maybe even applicable, but should only be used in the case of an emergency. (Don't break that glass unless you have to.)

The use of CGI has hit an all time low this summer, especially after witnessing DreamWorks cover up KNB's work in Fright Night 3D. Not only does it look like absolute sh*t, but it's already dated. Have you guys heard the public wisecracking about how the Phantom Menace and the other two Star Wars prequels are already more dated than the original trilogy? They're right, and it's true, which is the most bold piece of evidence to your CGI sucking. Also, see the theatrical ending to Paranormal Activity, I Am Legend, Van Helsing, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Final Destination, Super 8, Season of the Witch, Skyline, Case 39, the attack scene in Let Me In and much, much more.

Look at the past 50 years of film. Practical effects look real, while the majority of CGI work looks like a video game. The fact that practical work is physical also gives the actors something to react to on set and looks way better on screen. It affects nearly all facets of a production. Foreign filmmakers apparently "get it" as they've delivered some of the only new horror masterpieces that range from Inside to Martyrs, Frontier(s), [REC], [REC]2 and High Tension.

I've just about had it with this crap. The blatant and lazy approach to filmmaking is a disgrace to everyone who put their hearts and souls into making a movie. It's time to dial it back, it's time to stop trying to make everything "epic" and "over the top." If you and your production crew can't figure out how to do something as simple as vampire teeth, with physical products, I think you shouldn't even waste your time.

But I digress. CGI can be cool (see Jurassic Park), but it's being overused. Calm the f*ck down, take a look in the mirror and reflect on what you're doing. You're creating a product and what you're selling is cheap garbage that's going to leave the buyer feeling ripped off. At least pretend that you give a hoot about what we think...

Love, Sincerely, Your BFF, XOXO,

Mr. Disgusting

From another site which sums it up for me.

Berserker Pred

Cool :)

T Dog

T Dog

It's unbelievably refreshing that there is a big budget movie coming out that has an emphasis on real sets and not CGI. I don't doubt though that there will be a lot of post digital work done though.

That Ash guy simply has poor taste and a very low expectational bar of quality. Star Wars 1-3 looks awful. I saw some of Revenge of the Sith a few years after it came out and couldn't get over how bad it looked and how quickly the cgi had dated. It was simply never particularly good to begin with.
I think directors like Guillermo del Torro have the right idea. To use physical props/sets/make up enhanced with cgi.

The irony of CGI is that the early 90's stuff still looks better. Jurassic Park, Terminator 2. You know they are CGI but there is something "warmer" about them. Can't put my finger on it. I think those guys just knew how to light scenes better for CGI.

Valaquen

Quote from: tmjhur on Oct 08, 2011, 12:43:55 PM
The irony of CGI is that the early 90's stuff still looks better. Jurassic Park, Terminator 2. You know they are CGI but there is something "warmer" about them. Can't put my finger on it. I think those guys just knew how to light scenes better for CGI.
There's about 40-60 seconds of CG in T2 in total; the majority of the effects are actually practical. Ditto fro JP - tons of practical effects. It was an ideal balance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed