The Callisto Protocol

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 26, 2021, 06:18:40 PM

Author
The Callisto Protocol (Read 7,439 times)

Stitch

Stitch

My excitement for this game dropped massively today when I read they're locking hard mode, horde mode, and even some death animations behind a season pass.

Was going to be a day one buy, now I'm not so sure. Sounds way too money grubbing.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Can you link this?

thexenomorph

thexenomorph

I can not wait for this and Starfield! I can't wait to play another space game, I think the last I've played were Andromeda and Prey.

Stitch

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 24, 2022, 09:57:07 AMhttps://twitter.com/GlenSchofield/status/1595513458618818560

I need to pre-order this actually.
Even so, horde mode and hard mode (which is effectively what those two modes are) aren't things you'd expect to be in a season pass, and neither are animations for a single player game. Maybe as a free title update for a full price game (which this is), but putting them on the season pass feels like a way of filling up a content quota with things that would otherwise be free.

Just rubs me up the wrong way.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Very cool! Who is the actor in the suit? Couldn't quite recognize them.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 28, 2022, 10:24:32 AMVery cool! Who is the actor in the suit? Couldn't quite recognize them.

Josh Duhamel

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Oh, it's the same as the prisoner. Thanks. Really couldn't tell that.

First Blood

First Blood

This will be downloading to my PS5 in two days time, and I am completely ready to crap my pants.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It isn't scary at all and plays too similar to dead space. 

That said, it is a VERY good looking game to play. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It plays nothing like Dead Space, it is a brawler.

Stitch

Stitch

Against my better judgement I went ahead and pre-ordered it.

Still hasn't arrived. Goddammit Royal Mail!

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 05, 2022, 11:22:55 PMIt plays nothing like Dead Space, it is a brawler.

You have telekinesis, you stomp on enemies for health, you shoot tentacles instead of limbs to true "kill" the enemy (but that is so similar its practically the same thing), the tentacles not being shot in time is a fairly similar mechanic to the regenerating of the unkillable enemies in DS lore, your health is on the your back, you stomp boxes for supplies, the upgrades to weapons is almost identical in its presentation. It aesthetically looks and sounds the same as deadspace (some of the audio music cues sound identical enough to seem lifted), and I'm pretty sure they imported or blatantly ripped off the designs of DS.  I passed a conduit in the game that looked EXACTLY like the DS save points here just used as aesthetic background.  Could be an in game joke given one of the creators history with DS, but came across as blatantly lifted.  You even have the guy controlling and helping your movement from somewhere else DS gag.  Even the warden looks and is presented to  you like Tiedemann was in DS2 by being some cryptic dude that you see through holograms.
It plays way more like DS than any other horror/survival game out there. 

You do brawl in it, but I feel that is one of the few things that is any different, and they only made it different because in dead space you can't kill the enemies in hand to hand for lore reasons (necromorphs don't actually die, they just become an unloaded gun). Had they kept that in, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DEAD SPACE EXACTLY.  The enemies for huge portions of DS3 were basically the early going prisoner enemies of Callisto.  They added a brawling mechanic, and took away stasis, and something like stasis might exist, I dunno, I'm guessing I'm a third of the way in.  Here the grip is stronger than Kinesis, but instead of using the necromorphs limbs or rebar to impale an enemy necromorph, you can impale a whole enemy on pieces of rebar.  Even the little spinny death things that are turning around to throw your enemies in is an exact duplicate of the same bit in DS2 where you are flying through the area with all the babies shooting at you.   

It is a fairly good ripoff, but it is BLATANTLY a ripoff.  I do respect that aesthetically it is super on point, the combat once you figure it out is pretty good and fluid, and there is no backtracking to speak of, but I don't know how anybody could play this game and not feel dead space vibes all over it.  And I mean from head to toe. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed