The Official SKULL or NO SKULL Thread

Started by FiorinaFury161, Feb 18, 2017, 11:38:01 PM

Do you like the skull in the Alien head?

Love the SKULL
It's ok
It makes no difference on how I feel about the Alien
Dislike the SKULL
Hate The SKULL
Hate The SKULL and the people who love it
Author
The Official SKULL or NO SKULL Thread (Read 133,742 times)

Kradan

I'll do you one better:

Spoiler
Crystal skull
[close]

Lark

Lark

As an idea and design element, I like it.
The possibility it was a real human skull, possibly unethical in its sourcing for production, bothers me a lot every time I think about it.
Had to go with don't like, for that reason. It's delayed me making a model kit for years now, because I was researching the original costume to get ideas for painting and finishing.

xxx

xxx

Quote from: Lark on Mar 25, 2023, 07:20:50 PMAs an idea and design element, I like it.
The possibility it was a real human skull, possibly unethical in its sourcing for production, bothers me a lot every time I think about it.
Had to go with don't like, for that reason. It's delayed me making a model kit for years now, because I was researching the original costume to get ideas for painting and finishing.
Hi,
a lot of art schools use real "stuff" as drawing objects...I think I might also have one somewhere from my drawing years...
The question of ethically used "parts" bothers me for example in the Apocalypse now movie :O

Lark

Lark

Quote from: xxx on Mar 26, 2023, 06:52:51 PM
Quote from: Lark on Mar 25, 2023, 07:20:50 PMAs an idea and design element, I like it.
Hi,
a lot of art schools use real "stuff" as drawing objects...I think I might also have one somewhere from my drawing years...
The question of ethically used "parts" bothers me for example in the Apocalypse now movie :O
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXC-b4O_H_M

By the seventies and eighties, 'real' was far from necessary, let alone being integrated into a costume — there were questions raised about its providence via India at one point, can't remember where I first heard about it. It's very likely of course that it's more of a legend that was allowed to grow around the thing.
Either way it leaves a bad taste between the ears as it were, and as I get older I am a bit more judgemental. I also went off of Anatomie, and give the Bond film with the Bodywork's scenes a sideways look... that stuff is just tasteless, once you dwell on it. I wasn't aware of AN's issues, haven't watched that Drinker video before, but I would stand by the ethics of it there too.

So I stick with 'as a design element, good idea' and 'if the rumours/stories are true, as they seem to be, bad idea'.

City Hunter Yautja

I am in camp no-skull. :p

jacobo1122

I'm definitely pro-skull, but I like when it's somewhat vague, seen only when You get a gloser look or under certain angles. It's perfect with Stompy from Isolation, or Protomorph from Covenant. But I don't like where it is too visible, like with Drone design in Fireteam Elite. For me barely visible skull adds to creepines of Alien, when at first You look at faceless gaze, and then You realize that there is something behind it, but something no less disturbing than lack of eyes; Two empty eyesockets. And it gives indication that maybe it is something Alien, but it came from us, twisting ours own biology for its purpose. Besides it's original design for Big Chap, even if You don't see it in the movie itself.

Stitch

Jesus. For a second I thought it was ralfy, and wondered how W-Y was employing the skull.

xShadowFoxX

I personally don't mind the skull because it's cool but at the same time, I don't want to see it on screen because showing it would give the impression that it has eyes and I really do not like that.

[cancerblack]

Has consensus been achieved on the skull?

Local Trouble

Uh-oh

razeak

Skull is okay if it is only very slightly visible. Honestly, just make it like a complexion issue. Some Aliens it shows a little, others it doesn't. Or bring back warriors from Aliens.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: razeak on Jan 04, 2024, 07:07:34 PMSkull is okay if it is only very slightly visible. Honestly, just make it like a complexion issue. Some Aliens it shows a little, others it doesn't. Or bring back warriors from Aliens.

Warriors but with slightly-too-visible skulls. Just so nobody's happy.

426Buddy

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 11, 2024, 09:04:49 AM
Quote from: razeak on Jan 04, 2024, 07:07:34 PMSkull is okay if it is only very slightly visible. Honestly, just make it like a complexion issue. Some Aliens it shows a little, others it doesn't. Or bring back warriors from Aliens.

Warriors but with slightly-too-visible skulls. Just so nobody's happy.

I could dig that design lol

[cancerblack]

Spoiler
Same
[close]

Local Trouble

Well I don't! >:(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed