Did Isolation bring the childhood nightmare back for you

Started by Murfy426, Mar 08, 2015, 07:03:29 PM

Author
Did Isolation bring the childhood nightmare back for you (Read 7,441 times)

Murfy426

For quite a lot of alien viewers we watched these movies way too young for myself my dad put me in front of the second movie when I was 7 to try and teach me that monsters were not real (yeah great parenting lol) and after watching it I my dreams started to be filled with giger's monstrous creation then at the age of 9 I watched the first movie in the pitch black and I can say without shame I was damn right terrified the scene with dallas in the tunnels haunted my dreams through most of my childhood but then I grew up like we all do and the nightmares disappeared. Then my better half bought me isolation for Christmas and I decided to play the crew expendable dlc and reached the tunnel part. safe to say I have never been so scared in a video game in my life and a couple nights later I had the old childhood nightmare of being stalked in the tunnels still familiar after so many years
In a nutshell has the game brought the fear factor of the alien back to you?

The Cruentus

I have never had any fears or got scared from Aliens or horror really, my father did the same thing but not to teach me, but out of humor so I am more or less desensitized to horror but objectively and neutrally speaking I considered them as "scary" creatures and "frightening" in their ways that got diluted with Resurrection and the AVP movies, Isolation brought the Alien back on form and I respected the creature again.

thecaffeinatedone

Well, the moment of childhood of "discovering" the Nostromo and the ship and seeing the Alien for the first time can't be replicated. It did make the Alien actually a threat, which is fine by me. And also the levels were good, last half of the game was great and tense.

NickisSmart

I love Alien and live in that world whenever I watch it. It's likes a nightmare, but a dream, too, because I enjoy the sensation of being immersed in the experience. Alien:Isolation makes me really feel like I'm a part of that world, so, in regards to the OP's question, I'd have to say yes.

Jarac

Isolation scared the crap out of me. I just finished going back and got the Platinum Trophy for it and it was STILL scary. The atmosphere is brilliant, the sounds of the Aliens are menacing and makes you want to tremble when they're in the same room as you. It's a scary game; a nightmare in video game form.

Keg

Now that ive played it three times and I know what to expect and how to best play it and approach each area its lost most of its scare factor but holy shit that first play through was one of the most pant shitting, tense and panic ridden gaming experience ive ever had.

And because of the random nature of the games AI I got the biggest shock of all on my third playthrough. I was in a vent and I turned a corner and it was just right there in the dark and it got me (very reminiscent of Dallas in the air ducts). I nearly shat myself right there and then as by now id become accustomed to the game. I suppose thats one of the great things about the game. No matter how many times you play theres always the chance of something awesome or unexpected happening regarding the alien.

So yeah id say this brought back the terror alright. First time ive been scared of a xenomorph since i was about 8 years old over 20 years ago.

acheronbeing

Definitely not. Because the full ADI alien in this game by any means is like the first one. The adi body, legs, design, sounds, that it's still smaller than the original, etc really killed the creature again. The only thing they kept original regarding the original alien is that they made It indestructible.

It's funny how devs are so obssesed about being so truthful to the original material; the ship; the station; weapons; etc everything, and when It comes to the most important thing of any alien game, the alien itself, they never make It like the original, which was the only one who once gave me nightmares.

The game is good, but they f**ked up the alien once more. Is It better than any other alien seen in other iterations?, of course, but still far from being as good as the original when It comes to everything: size, sounds, original biomechanical design, behaviour, movement, etc

szkoki

nope, nothing is gonna bring back that feeling. i am fascinated by the alien and by its universe by now, not scared.

Jango1201

I pride myself in being a 23 year veteran of the Alien lore. That being said, I lost my genuine fear of the creature sometime around the age of 12. After playing Isolation, it definitely reminded me of why I SHOULD be afraid of this fascinating creature all over again.  :)

NickisSmart

Quote from: acheronbeing on Mar 11, 2015, 09:11:15 AM
Definitely not. Because the full ADI alien in this game by any means is like the first one. The adi body, legs, design, sounds, that it's still smaller than the original, etc really killed the creature again. The only thing they kept original regarding the original alien is that they made It indestructible.

It's funny how devs are so obssesed about being so truthful to the original material; the ship; the station; weapons; etc everything, and when It comes to the most important thing of any alien game, the alien itself, they never make It like the original, which was the only one who once gave me nightmares.

The game is good, but they f**ked up the alien once more. Is It better than any other alien seen in other iterations?, of course, but still far from being as good as the original when It comes to everything: size, sounds, original biomechanical design, behaviour, movement, etc

How do you even take the time to notice what its legs look like when it's chewing your face off? In all seriousness, this version is the only one besides the original with a visible skull in its forehead. There's plenty of faithfulness to the original design. It's undoubtedly not perfect, but if I recall, the legs were changed to make it possible for the animation team to be able to animate the creature convincingly. To bring the creature to life required some changes, and in all honesty it is a very good job, over all. Watching the creature move about in broad daylight is rewarding in and of itself because there's so much detail.

The only thing I can't stand is its hand when it squashes your face after impaling you with its tail. That hand just looks off. But under normal circumstances, that's the last thing going through my mind in this last moments...

The Cruentus

Apart from the legs and missing dorsal tube, it is a Giger alien,  a bio-mechanical monster, you can clearly see the details. It is not a Resurrection/AVP Alien in any sense. The legs were done because of animation issues but other than that, they tried to be faithful to the original, the whole point of the game is to be faithful to the first film.

acheronbeing

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 15, 2015, 01:04:02 PM
It is not a Resurrection/AVP Alien in any sense. The legs were done because of animation issues but other than that,
that is a very cool story

The Cruentus

One that came from the mouth of the devs.

NickisSmart

Indeed. Listen to the dev podcasts regarding the animation of the creature. The changing of the legs was done for animation purposes.

Not sure why people care so much. Purism makes sense to a point, but this is still the most faithful version of the creature to the original, and some might argue is faster and more agile. If I had to complain about anything it is not the visuals, but the sounds that the creature makes. The noises that the original made were just plain weird. In Alien: Isolation, some of the sounds were changed, and these changes I do not entirely understand.

The Cruentus

It could be argued that the original alien could make those sounds but we never really see much of the Alien unlike Isolation, where encounters with it are frequent, also another explanation is that the growls are the devs way of letting the player know the Alien is nearby.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed