Did Isolation bring the childhood nightmare back for you

Started by Murfy426, Mar 08, 2015, 07:03:29 PM

Author
Did Isolation bring the childhood nightmare back for you (Read 7,438 times)

NetworkATTH

Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 16, 2015, 04:55:41 AM
Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 16, 2015, 03:38:08 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 16, 2015, 02:15:59 AM
Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 16, 2015, 01:38:14 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 16, 2015, 12:47:16 AM
I don't have nightmares anymore, but I have to say, the game sorta fell short for me. The Alien seemed like a generic monster in a lot of ways, not really Alien. Don't think I hate the game, I just don't think the essence of the Alien was all there.

I mean how much of an intricate shot replication from Ridley Scott do you want per second per time the creature is on screen. It's not some mystical assassin, it is, very much, a lethal and deadly animal. It's a different kind of scary, it's a bear attack scary, or a tiger is hunting you down scary. The first film and the second film openly acknowledge this, but the first film and blinding amounts of lighting per shot. You can't replicate the existence of that first film on screen perfectly accurately because that world does not exist, it's candy coated with lighting, but all things considered Creative Assembly did a fine job.

I never considered the Alien series much "nightmare" material regardless.

That's reading too much into my post. I'm just not a fan of the foot stomping, the growls, the weird leashing from the AI, the lack of creepiness, etc. It comes across as generic.

There is a state in the AI that makes him creep silently if he knows you're near. It's those times that the game feels properly Alien - if you've seen it, you know what I mean. But unfortunately, he generally just stomps around like he's looking for his car keys or something and it's not very exciting.

Also, I remember in that third person video recently how they had a heartbeat sound effect when the Alien was in close proximity. There were no OTT foot stomps, just a heartbeat. But just that small detail added so much more "alien" to the vibe. It's little things like that, but I think in the end they make big differences.

I guess in summary I just expect more subtlety, more appropriate sound and atmosphere from the iconic Alien. Robocop-like foot stomping and lion growls isn't scary, it's just really daft.

I think you're reading too much into an Alien.  ;)

Haha! Nice one. But no. :)

acheronbeing

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 16, 2015, 01:38:14 AM
it is, very much, a lethal and deadly animal.
stopped reading right here

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: acheronbeing on Mar 15, 2015, 01:11:28 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 15, 2015, 01:04:02 PM
It is not a Resurrection/AVP Alien in any sense. The legs were done because of animation issues but other than that,
that is a very cool story

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/articles/creative-assembly-studio-visit-preview/

QuoteWe were also shown the level of detail that has gone into the animation and the fluidity that model is capable of with the animation. During this demonstration we also discussed the changes to the Alien's legs – this was primarily to reduce the feeling of "man-in-a-suit" and with some of the animations I was being shown and the speed in which they were taking the Alien to, I can completely understand.

The animation of the turns and movement changes the Alien was doing at such great speeds looked fantastic with the digigrade legs. All of the animations looked completely fluid and worked so well.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/articles/creative-assembly-studio-visit-interview/2/

QuoteCorporal Hicks: Now for the question. I'm sure you were expecting it. The legs... because everybody wanted it asked. With places like us, as fans, we are going to nit-pick and so far the only thing that seems to have really made people ask "why" is the legs?

Al Hope: So this is really interesting because we had that conversation over many months as we actually prototyped almost every type of leg imaginable. We initially did go "right, okay, we're making a game based on Alien so it's going to be the original alien and we're going to recreate that". What we found out very early on was that it looked like what it is which is a man in a rubber suit.

It was so beautifully shot and absolutely immaculately edited in that first film. You don't actually see very much and what you perceive is really really powerful but when you look at the first alien, full-length, it is a guy in a suit because it was a guy in a suit and so our first alien was that and it was fine but it just did look like a man. It looked humanoid to the point that if he was running at you, it would look like a guy running.

We needed the creature to be very fluid in its movement, very capable in its movement and able to manoeuvre over objects and the world very rapidly and very seamlessly. When we tried with the humanoid legs, it looked like a guy doing parkour. It was a guy crawling over a space whereas the power of the alien is this otherness, this mystery. It's quite an unpleasant quality to it that we weren't getting with the straight reproduction of that first alien.

acheronbeing

lol what a crapload of bullshit. They could have just said "Hey, we are forced to use lame adi material, so even a human born alien will feature the always awful ditigrade legs and their crap alien resurrection/avp sounds. We're sorry folks. It's just those dumbf**ks at Fox all over again. We really wanted to portray the alien as It was in the first film, but they didn't allow us"

Son Of Kane

f**k off, Fox hardly forced them to use the ADI legs. Fox doesn't give a toss about that kinda stuff.
And the Digitgrade legs on the AI Alien are perfect and extremely Gigeresque, in fact I used to hate them too due to A:R but I like them so much I hope they just Retcon all Aliens with human feet in the first two films (Since we rarely, if ever see their feet.) to have the AI feet.

Fox cares about the Alien's design, haha, next you'll be telling me jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: acheronbeing on Mar 16, 2015, 02:49:23 PM
lol what a crapload of bullshit. They could have just said "Hey, we are forced to use lame adi material, so even a human born alien will feature the always awful ditigrade legs and their crap alien resurrection/avp sounds. We're sorry folks. It's just those dumbf**ks at Fox all over again. We really wanted to portray the alien as It was in the first film, but they didn't allow us"

I think you really don't understand how anatomy works in relation to being in intimate constant interaction with it, over the potential span of hours.

You can't achieve this

with this

Because the human leg can only provide you as far as it was evolved to provide, and that's not be an active sufficient hunter, or just because it "looks neat", to have a human being in a costume running around with a phallic head. It doesn't work, it's been proven it doesn't work, and Alien Isolation further proved it couldn't work, for their game. They had to make up for it in Alien with heavy lighting and cutting down the scenes with the Alien. In Aliens, they sped up and reversed film, and cut it in quick shots, not to give the illusion of, what? what? A man in a suit. They could have done it, I actually agree with you, but the end result would have looked exactly like behind the scenes footage, and what Ridley Scott and James Cameron wanted to avoid to begin with.

acheronbeing

acheronbeing

yah that's a nice story too

Son Of Kane

Quote from: acheronbeing on Mar 16, 2015, 08:54:23 PM
yah that's a nice story too

What a retort.

Lol that's all folks.

NetworkATTH

NickisSmart

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? : P

Murfy426

Quote from: NickisSmart on Mar 17, 2015, 12:51:00 PM
Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? : P
Wow talk about epic timing for a quote  :laugh:

THE CITY HUNTER

Not really it brought back the 70 felling in alien (the space station) but it did not bring the scariness back, the reason why is because we all know how a zenomorph acts and how it looks maybe if this game came out before AVP 2010

blood.

I've tried half a dozen times but I can't even get past the first appearance of the alien on the crew expendable dlc because I know it leads to a sequence in the vents. It's like I know the experience is going to be too terrifying for me regardless if i complete it or not, making it not worth doing.

Murfy426

Quote from: bloodinthemud on Jun 08, 2015, 04:48:10 AM
I've tried half a dozen times but I can't even get past the first appearance of the alien on the crew expendable dlc because I know it leads to a sequence in the vents. It's like I know the experience is going to be too terrifying for me regardless if i complete it or not, making it not worth doing.
Yeah I gotta admit I finished the last survivor dlc pretty quickly even though I had to watch family guy afterwards just to try to catch my breath and slow my heart lol. But I still haven't even touched Crew expendable because that vent section just seems way too much to be honest. Call me a sissy if you want but having that thing stalk you in the vents  is a terrifying prospect, especially with lamberts useless "Youre gonna have to be careful" (duh) comment, laughed my ass off when I heard that line watching it on youtube.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed