Aliens v. Predator - The Hunt Begins Miniatures Game

Started by Manchu, Oct 10, 2013, 03:38:58 PM

Author
Aliens v. Predator - The Hunt Begins Miniatures Game (Read 386,756 times)

Xenomrph

Not gonna lie, I really didn't expect them to hit 2000 backers.

I don't even know what I want at this point - they've given away so much free stuff as stretch goals and added on so many other new miniatures that I'm interested in, I'd have to go back over the KS page to figure out what I'm even getting at this point.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 29, 2013, 06:09:30 AM
Not gonna lie, I really didn't expect them to hit 2000 backers.

I don't even know what I want at this point - they've given away so much free stuff as stretch goals and added on so many other new miniatures that I'm interested in, I'd have to go back over the KS page to figure out what I'm even getting at this point.
I didn't expect it to go where it did either. Neither in backers nor amount. Glad it did but would have liked Prodos to throw something else inbetween those new goals. Probably figured they didn't need to. The incentive already existed and time was running short.

Arterial Spray

I was rathe foolish and forgot to check in on the last 2 days. Now I have to choose which of my planned goodies to give up for the queen, WY, marine weapons pack and powerloader.

:-\

Xenomrph

I don't really see the appeal of the Marine weapons pack.

[cancerblack]

Went for Payback Time with a little extra cash thrown on. Was £10 off from the Real Aliens deal, but I couldn't justify being short on rent for toys.  :-\    I'm putting most of it into a nice big Alien brood, the only extras I'm getting for other factions are a set of sentry guns and maybe a squad of WY troopers, but probably just 5 more warriors.

Mr. Domino

Quote from: Arterial Spray on Nov 30, 2013, 02:43:19 AM
I was rathe foolish and forgot to check in on the last 2 days. Now I have to choose which of my planned goodies to give up for the queen, WY, marine weapons pack and powerloader.

:-\

You can up your pledge in the pledge manager they'll be sending out sometime after the first of the year.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 30, 2013, 11:59:01 AM

If you're going in for the wargame, building up armies, it doesn't matter so much for Aliens, but for Preds and Marines the extra head variants are gold, because they keep the battlefield from looking like The Clone Wars, and weapon options give you a much higher degree of customizability when combined with the add-on marine pack they created. Dude A with a Pulse Rifle looks a bit different from Dude A with a Flamer, looks a bit different from Dude B with a Pulse Rifle.

Arterial Spray

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 30, 2013, 11:59:01 AM

Because for the forseable future the only incinerators available are the one being used left handed by the medic in the boxed set, and the two in the weapons pack. Given the number of incinerators in the films I needed me some more... Also that medic is in a really stupid pose.

And the spare Sgt head can turn a normal marine into a SGT without having to blow £8 on the 'official' Sarge.

I think the Sergeant, rare flamers and assorted other gubbins are worth it.

Xenomrph

Fair enough. :) I'll be blowing my add-on money on a bunch of other stuff, but if I have any left over I might invest in the weapons pack because why not.

Arterial Spray

Also worth noting: the SGT comes with a shotgun. Looks like it will be the only model in the KS to do so.

Elicas

You can add another pledge of whatever you like when the feedback form comes in Jan/Feb. Don't worry if you were short now, start saving for the pledge manager, that's the real payment time.

[cancerblack]

Started work on my terrain for this:

Mr. Domino

Nice! I keep thinking about jumping into green stuff more wholeheartedly, but it rather terrifies me. I'm planning on building some of the Worldworks Games "Titan" terrain for AvP, but not sure yet how I'll do the hived sections...

[cancerblack]

The technique I'm using for the bulk of the hive couldn't be easier, and only uses a single sculpting tool (one with a small, round, flat bit, like what dentists use to push fillings in).

Spoiler
Basically you just build a structure out of plastic, glue some cool segmented gubbinz to it, and then start rolling out long, thin sausages of epoxy (preferably at irregular sizes). Push them onto the plastic one at a time, and with a consistent angle, push the tool repeatedly into the putty to create the ridged effect.

Repeat for a few layers, but leave some space empty between a few areas - these help break up the surface, and can be filled with whatever else you feel capable of sculpting.

For that section (based on a large Lego tile) I'm having a crack at sculpting some spinal-chord/ribcage type stuff in the gaps and actually making them more raised, but you can do anything organic (or even have some industrial stuff showing under the hived areas).
[close]

As for being intimidated by working with epoxy, don't be. The only way to learn how to use it is to play with it until you figure it out, IMO.

After years of only using it to fill gaps or sculpt capes, I got really into it a few years back just through goofing around. And an Alien hive is the perfect practise I'd reckon - it's amorphous and asymmetrical by it's very nature, will be painted dark colours and won't receive as much scrutiny as a model would. Plus, you're working at a larger scale when doing terrain.

I say go for it, get some putty and plasticard, grab some cool bitz and just f**k around until you're happy with it. :)

PRJ_since1990

Great ideas Cancer! I hope you post some pics when you're finished. Love to see how the hive comes out.

happypred

So basically people pre-buy proposed products and then the company makes them? Is this how it works? 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed