Like tears in Rain - SinglePlayer Map (WIP)

Started by Le Celticant, Mar 29, 2016, 11:47:39 PM

Author
Like tears in Rain - SinglePlayer Map (WIP) (Read 30,082 times)

Le Celticant

Hey,

Does anyone know how to start as a marine without a knife, a motion tracker or a shoulder lamp?
Basically start naked striped of all objects.

Cya

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 11, 2016, 07:39:09 PM
Hey,

Does anyone know how to start as a marine without a knife, a motion tracker or a shoulder lamp?
Basically start naked striped of all objects.

Cya

Wouldn't that be attributes related?

Unless it's different for map settings via Dedit. ? i'm not sure.

Le Celticant

Considering it's done in-game (Vanilla avp2) since you start weaponless in betrayal I think it doesn't need the attributes.
I also remember some maps where you would start naked.

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the initial trigger message sent to the player.
Something like a msg that remove everything.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I've tried turning off the shoulder lamp and getting rid of the knife using a slew of commands but I didn't find anything that does it. Unless it's something I don't know, I assume it's hard coded. You can, however, turn the motion tracker off: msg player (Motion_Tracker OFF)

I think as far as stripping the player of everything, though, my guess would be it has to be one of the start characters in the GameStartPoint.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Hey,

Just had a look at the gamestartpoint yesterday.
There's only nohands that removes everything from the player but it can not pickup any object (which is problematic).
I wonder if there's a command in game to transform the player from NoHands to Harrison.

Both NoHands and Convict_Harrison starts with no ShoulderLamp.

Thanks for the motion tracker, it was the most important of the three items I wanted to remove. ;)

Knife would be the second, but if I can't find a solution, it's not really a terrible thing.
Just a story-telling issue.

Cya

Spooky799kil

I am so glad you guys are continuing to make maps. I don't know if it was my thread or you guys were already started to work on them again but I really happy and glad. Making new AVP2 single player levels will make the game last longer and add more Aliens for everybody.

Because lets face it, I don't think there is going to another AVP video game for a long time or even Aliens game for that matter. Creative Assembly was going to make Alien Isolation 2 but their sales fell short which sucks but thats what happens when your game isn't run and gun shooter :/ even though besides AVP2 I think alien isolation is the best Alien game. Making AVP2 levels will defiantly satisfy those who are waiting for another game.

I really wish I was as talented as you guys so I could make levels but I am not doing so well. I have been following the Mod Maker tutorial but I am really confused on how to do things. I really better with visual presentation than text and even some the pictures are missing from the site due to it being taken down. I really wish someone would upload themselves making a map, heck it don't have to be you talking, you could just record yourself making the map and fast forward like this video which helped me alot.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im1r6yQLtEk If someone could do that with a full level it be the best thing ever.

Also I did not realize the game you have start by scratch. Nothing is pre rendered. Now as I said in my first post I have never officially made a map in any game before but I have used other editors such as the Hammer editor (Half life 2 editor) and the HPL2 editor (Amnesia Dark Decent editor)

These editors are much more navigational and have alot prefabs and pre rendered environments. Now of course I under stand that AVP2's Talon Editor is older so it is expected to be this way but I am totally lost with it. I wont give up  but so far I can't even create room correctly. It always turns out like crap. Its going to be hard learning all this is stuff. I will keep trying as I really want to create levels because I have 4 ideas that would love to implement into AVP2 story level. I really hope they come to fruition and you guys could enjoy them.

Lucifero

Lucifero

guys its possible import a map made with dedit on hammer?
I'd like to create a small map pack for hl2 only with the original AVP2 maps

Le Celticant

Hey,

Keep pushing, there's not secret at making maps!
We don't use DEdit as pre-rendered prefabs software (much like the UDK or even the latest version of talon, Jupiter Extended works that way) but apparently it was "supposed" to be that way.
If you take a look at the files installed during the SDK, there are crucial files that work with a certain version of Lightwave.
It was possible to go back and fourth Lightwave with both Model Edit and DEdit to make models and maps without having to do a single brush inside DEdit or apply a single texture (the only things you had to do was to add objects).

So if there's a way to export to Hammer, I'd bet it would be the way : DEdit > Lightwave > Export to some sort of friendly format like .obj > Hammer.

------------------

Concerning the map, I've been busy lately, lots of work to do and it all happened at once, I've to organize my agenda.
I did some progress but not incredible one, you'll have to wait for more picture which I promise will come out!  ;)

------------------

PS: If I ever got the time, I'll try to make a video tutorial for DEdit, something around June.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 28, 2016, 10:07:08 AM
PS: If I ever got the time, I'll try to make a video tutorial for DEdit, something around June.

I would love that! I'm finding the ModMaker tutorials a bit hard to follow.

Spooky799kil

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 28, 2016, 11:10:37 AM
Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 28, 2016, 10:07:08 AM

I would love that! I'm finding the ModMaker tutorials a bit hard to follow.

Same here Hicks. It also looks like he didn't finish it before he left if you click the advanced level section. I don't know the story around the creator as I was probably only 8 or 9 at the time.

Thanks Le Celticant! Like I said if you don't have total free time to do a full explanation video you can just make a map with out talking. I rather have that than nothing at all. 

Le Celticant

I'm thinking of it since a very very very long time.
I love doing tutorial but they need an outstanding amount of work.
I'll definitely try to make one for you fox. I've already done some on paper, just need to try on video now with my sexy voice  :D
I might start a youtube channel for this so we could easily make a playlist about different things.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I've thought about doing tutorials on youtube, as well, but I can't get used to talking to myself while doing it, lol. It's just a very weird feeling. I guess the more you do it the more natural it would become though.

windebieste

windebieste

I've never considered doing them.  At all...

If you add the NoHands start point, there is a command that will change you to any character. 

I used the command a couple of times on the 'Hostile Appetite' map.  The player starts as a facehugger, then the command is triggered and the player becomes one of 2 (or 3?) different Alien classes when they pounce on their victim of choice at the beginning of the map.  Then used it again later in the same map: when the KillCounter is fully decremented to 0, the command is triggered again and  the player is changed and respawns as a human. 

So I know it can be done.  I'll chase it up for you sometime. 

-Windebieste.

Le Celticant

Hey,

@Windebieste:
Thank you sooooooooooo much! It would save me up great time and wouldn't require that I goes through the attributes to make a full modification.

@PsyKore:
I think so too, I'm not greatly comfortable but I feel pretty alright doing it, it might get better the more I do it.

---

About the map, I'm doing slow progress.
I'm probably spending too much time on little details but it creates a very nice atmosphere.
I'm also doing so many back and forth in game to try different lightning, I think it's very important to take good care of it considering AVP2 has one of the worse light system I've ever seen!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 28, 2016, 08:57:26 PM
I'm thinking of it since a very very very long time.
I love doing tutorial but they need an outstanding amount of work.
I'll definitely try to make one for you fox. I've already done some on paper, just need to try on video now with my sexy voice  :D
I might start a youtube channel for this so we could easily make a playlist about different things.

I would really appreciate that too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed