Announcing Alien: The Blueprints from Titan Books!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 26, 2017, 06:24:19 PM

Author
Announcing Alien: The Blueprints from Titan Books! (Read 50,744 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Oct 02, 2017, 08:06:56 PMI did a lot of work on doing floorplans for the prison a few years back.

Murderous.

Personal project or for something official?

SM

The original intent was the latter but it didn't pan out.

Prez

Can't wait.

The Star Wars collected cross section books are amongst my favourite. Whilst this one touches on some interiors I'm up for blueprints of the Sulaco and co.

Russ840

This book has become my most anticipated upcoming  hardcover.

One would assume that the content is 'signed off' by fox ?

FenGiddel

Quote from: Russ840 on Oct 04, 2017, 08:39:06 AM
This book has become my most anticipated upcoming  hardcover.

One would assume that the content is 'signed off' by fox ?
Titan, the publisher, has a license.

I'm wondering if we'll finally get to see where they store the coffee...

HuDaFuK

Rumour has it it's the only thing good on that ship.

Perfect-Organism

This sounds awesome!

Johnny Paintbrushes

Johnny Paintbrushes

Hey Graham,
Great to see this being made public. Can't wait to see the eventual book.  :)

Perfect-Organism

Hi Graham.  Will we have any juggernaut / space jockey blueprints?  Will the entire book be black and white?  It would be cool to see some of your work in full color.  Also, is there any possibility you might include vehicles from the EU?  The Benedict space ship from Aliens: Book One was a really beautiful design...

Your blueprints are epic!  Can't wait!

USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 09, 2017, 03:08:18 PM
Hi Graham.  Will we have any juggernaut / space jockey blueprints?  Will the entire book be black and white?  It would be cool to see some of your work in full color.  Also, is there any possibility you might include vehicles from the EU?  The Benedict space ship from Aliens: Book One was a really beautiful design...

Your blueprints are epic!  Can't wait!

The book does and always has mainly concentrated on the human-related hardware in the ship, vehicle, colony realm; I do have the original derelict in there, though the original intent was for it to be a hand-drawn piece, and only if there was time. Hand-drawn due to the organic nature of Giger's work. More difficult to do on cad because drafting on cad is mainly straight lines. Trying to do 20-24 subjects is tough in the time permitted, and I knew that I would be pressed to draw the derelict.

So rather than leave it out altogether, I've done a few sheets of the original Derelict and Space Jockey. Without giving too much away I've illustrated it in such a way that it's based on a Geologist from the colony among the team that investigate it after Russ Jordan is attacked, and according to Prometheus, what do Geologists have? Spectographs, or 'PUPS' as Fifield calls it. So basically there are a couple of sheets that are colony spectograph print-outs from that exterior derelict survey. They look cool and are the only sheets that are not the usual blueprints. The original map that hangs in Operations has 'Geo Surv / Asset Claims' written on it, so I ran with that; it makes sense that there are a couple of Geologists / Geotech Engineers at the colony what with the rock formations, lava flows and just the nature of the landscape, so it seemed to be plausible.

The Prometheus Juggernaut is not included (personal preference really, I prefer the original - sorry); rest of the Prometheus ships and vehicles however are.

All the book will be black & white. The derelict pages I mention are grayscale so not strictly black & white.
I've thought about color over the years but people always seem to love the B&W technical look, so stuck with it.
As for EU ships, movie subjects only on this one. :-)

Xenomrph

Quote from: USG Ishimura on Oct 12, 2017, 01:01:17 AM
As for EU ships, movie subjects only on this one. :-)

"This one", as if there could be others if there's demand?

Russ840

Graham. His sounds amazing mate. Release day can not get here quick enough.

Local Trouble

Will there be a canon explanation for the "Weylan" spelling?

USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 17, 2017, 06:15:48 PM
Will there be a canon explanation for the "Weylan" spelling?

Ha, I doubt it. As you likely already know, the 'Company' was called Weylan-Yutani in the original 'Alien'. That was then changed by Cameron for 'Aliens'. When I first created the Nostromo illustration back in 2009, I wanted to go the 'as seen on screen' (if you really squint) approach as did some fans of the movie. Of course Prometheus came out two years later, and I wondered if the Yutani Corp were putting the boot in on a former competitor after a hostile takeover of Weyland...and then Alien Covenant came out and it was Weyland Yutani
One cannot really plan ahead for that kind of stuff and maybe it doesn't really matter.
I would think that any dialogue in an official publication concerning Weylan vs. Weyland in a story or otherwise would need approval from Fox, and/or an explanation regarding the difference likely and conveniently forgotten about in the overall franchise. But, remains a little interesting piece of history on the making of the franchise if nothing else.

Elmazalman

I never did understand why the spelling was changed for ALIENS.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed