Michael Biehn finally needs a break to reprise his role as Hicks

Started by Perfect-Organism, Feb 24, 2015, 04:23:47 AM

Author
Michael Biehn finally needs a break to reprise his role as Hicks (Read 8,047 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 24, 2015, 08:38:45 PM
You know the score pal, anything SM says is teh cannonz.

SM is our very own Schrödinger's cat.

whiterabbit

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 24, 2015, 08:42:43 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 24, 2015, 10:00:14 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 24, 2015, 08:27:13 AM
He's definitely better than most of the 80s action dreck, but that doesn't say much.

He's like an American Cristopher Lambert on a double-dose of qualude and valium, suffering from aggressive hemorrhoids.
Oh man you're on a roll tonight. What happened? No need to dish the man.

But honestly, what's up with the Beihn adoration? He is so mediocre and dull and not in a good way.
Honestly, I don't know. I just said I like the guy.

Micheal Biehn is great at playing the grunt and second fiddle and Ripley love interest. Rather see him in a Terminator movie though. He was awesome in the Rock, giving that America f**k Yea!! speech before being gunned down mercilessly by a bunch of thugs. There's that.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 24, 2015, 10:40:26 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 24, 2015, 08:38:45 PM
You know the score pal, anything SM says is teh cannonz.

SM is our very own Schrödinger's cat.
Is he even alive anymore?

windebieste

Who... the cat?  Just look in the box and find out for yourself. 

-Windebieste.

razeak

He was close to A list I think, but didn't quite get there. He never had that one performance in a film where he was the main character and the film was also amazing. He had a couple of great parts, but it was part of a bigger cast(with Weaver and Schwarzenegger no less, among others). I think he might have crossed that line with the right movie, it just never came. He's still my personal favorite actor. His Reese was awesome IMO. Hicks was great too(or he wouldn't be such a favorite all these years later) as well as Lt. Coffey and Johnny Ringo. I would say Hicks was the least of those, but they were all great.

Vertigo

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 24, 2015, 04:34:36 AMIs it true that his relationship with Gale Anne Hurd soured his relationship with James Cameron?  Is this why he has been marginalized all these years?

Cameron did consider him for primary villain roles in both Titanic and Avatar. I think it's only a matter of time (and finding the right role) until they work together again.

As for why Biehn's star has faded over the last couple of decades, surely the alcoholism must be a main factor. Apparently it was the reason he "didn't understand" the Usual Suspects script at the time, and played havoc in his personal life.
That's fine when you're a 20-something female celebrity who likes to go commando when entering limousines, but not so great for strong, quiet, sensitive type role-players in their late-30s/40s.
I think he's a decent actor with a great look and charisma, just a shame that he wasted the latter half of his prime, career-wise.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: razeak on Feb 24, 2015, 11:07:40 PMHe was close to A list I think, but didn't quite get there.

I don't think I'd go that far. He was in some incredible movies, but as others have said, he's kind of a one-trick pony. He was good at what he did, but a diverse, nuanced actor, he was not. And I say that as a fan.

Glad someone else digs his roles as Johnny Ringo though. Love him in that film. The bit where he and Val Kilmer are showboating in the saloon is awesome :)

Russ

Quote from: Vertigo on Feb 25, 2015, 12:26:16 AM
I think he's a decent actor with a great look and charisma, just a shame that he wasted the latter half of his prime, career-wise.

^This.

Biehn's "Seventh Sign" with Demi Moore and Jurgen Prochnow disproves the one-Hicks-pony argument.

The poor guy was suffering from a terrible disease - Alcoholism is really, really bad - especially if you're not a functioning alcoholic. "Normal" jobs enable people to be functioning alcoholics, but figure that you're an actor waiting for a role, you don't have to get up at 0600 or whatever - your free time is your drinking time. Also, a lot (if not all) of these deals are made over dinner / at a party. If you've got an issue controlling your drinking and act... badly... at such times, it will colour people's judgement. They don't know you have an illness after all - they just "know" that you're OTT drunk. If you're a producer and your potential lead gets hammered at your first or second meeting... you'll be thinking "can I trust this guy..? No, get me Paxton's number."

It's a tragic illness, made acceptable because alcohol - unlike weed or any other narcotic is (in the vast majority of places) easy to get hold of, cheap and legal.

He is a good actor. Maybe not a great one, but I strongly feel that some of the comments on here are way, way off.

Ultramorph

If they do go the retconning route, it would be cool to have Biehn back as Hicks.

Heck, if they decide to bring back even more dead characters, let's get Bill Paxton back, too.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Ultramorph on Feb 26, 2015, 01:19:48 AM
Heck, if they decide to bring back even more dead characters, let's get Bill Paxton back, too.

Didn't you know? Hudson survived Aliens.

Gash

Cinema 1992 - 20th Century Fox logo fades, the familiar fanfare descends to an ominous note.

5 minutes in. Broad smile. Newt and Hicks are dead. This is the universe of Alien again.

20 minutes later, a funeral that's more effecting than the characters warranted.

23 years later. Uh oh.

Liberator

Michael Biehn had a future with Aliens, and I'd like to see him in Alien 5 playing Hicks.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Liberator on Feb 26, 2015, 07:51:27 AM
Michael Biehn had a future with Aliens, and I'd like to see him in Alien 5 playing Hicks.

Totally, the fact that he was left out of Alien 3 really had a negative impact on his life.  There's something to be said for not connecting yourself too much to the projects you work on, but I just think Biehn was such a brilliant actor that it would be to everyone's benefit to see him regain some of his past glory.

Corporal Hicks

We were talking about it on our podcast last night - I was saying how much I'd like to see him played like Hicks was in the original Dark Horse comics. I could see Biehn pulling that off really well.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 02, 2015, 08:39:38 AM
We were talking about it on our podcast last night - I was saying how much I'd like to see him played like Hicks was in the original Dark Horse comics. I could see Biehn pulling that off really well.

The other night I was watching "The Divide." Biehn plays an embittered 9/11 survivor who lost his family in the film. I could see it working really well, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNj_gXsmaZ8#ws

Russ

That opening "You want to survive, you listen to me" was pure Hicks wasn't it. So cool. Loved it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed