Aliens V. Predator Ultimate Prey - AvP Anthology

Started by BryanThomasS, Jan 07, 2021, 08:18:28 PM

Author
Aliens V. Predator Ultimate Prey - AvP Anthology (Read 63,007 times)

Local Trouble

Do you approve?

SM

Not really a fan.  There's hints of some sort of telepathy in Resurrection (the film), but I think that can be partly put down to Ripley's mental state and ultrasonics rather than telepathy.  If it was something like telepathy it'd better if it was left unlabelled.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on Feb 03, 2021, 01:29:25 AM
ultrasonics

I've always had some headcanon about Alien "long range" communication messing with humans like infrasound can.

Quoteeffects such as annoyance or fatigue

Generally leading to in-fighting, exhaustion and mistakes among humans with long term exposure to the creatures.

SM

I can dig it.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Feb 03, 2021, 12:31:12 AM
I think there's a reference in the Resurrection novelisation too.
There is, as I recall.

The Cruentus

Quote from: SM on Feb 01, 2021, 09:54:51 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 01, 2021, 04:05:28 PM
Would you say that the very concepts of praetorians, palatines and queen mothers were offensive regardless of how they were depicted?

They're not offensive, just pointless.  Fun for games but little else.

Still need to find out where to the guards are called Palatines, definitely wasn't in the comic I checked.
I think Praetorians can serve a purpose as either aa queen in waiting or royal guards but yeah, most extra castes are just there for EU media.

Not really a fan.  There's hints of some sort of telepathy in Resurrection (the film), but I think that can be partly put down to Ripley's mental state and ultrasonics rather than telepathy.  If it was something like telepathy it'd better if it was left unlabelled.

I'm not a fan of it either, it is one of few things I didn't like in Sea of Sorrows, it is a good book and had an awesome audio drama but these supernatural aspects are so far removed from how Alien started which was fairly grounded bar a few things like travel and cryosleep. I am aware I am being nitpicky in that regard.

Kradan

I don't mind Aliens being able to communicate via telepathy. I'm even not against Queens influincing people's dreams. But when you start telling me that Queen Mother is able to f**k with people's minds lightyears from her and is also somehow connected to every f**king Xeno in bloody universe - that's when idea gets implausible and ridiculous to me

Hunter-Killer

The first reference that comes to mind regarding xenomorph telepathy would be the comic series for Outbreak and Earth War, where the queen can transmit thought and emotion similar to the markers in Dead space.

I feel like it's thoroughly implied that the resolve to harvest xenomorphs is perpetuated by telepathic corruption from the brood, luring more humans to be used as incubators.

I think it's a cool concept, gives it kind of a Lovecraft aspect.

...does the AVP Galaxy staff ever feel as if they are being enacted upon in their xenomorph worship?
🤔🤔🤔

SM

QuoteI'm not a fan of it either, it is one of few things I didn't like in Sea of Sorrows, it is a good book and had an awesome audio drama but these supernatural aspects are so far removed from how Alien started which was fairly grounded bar a few things like travel and cryosleep. I am aware I am being nitpicky in that regard.

I didn't mind it too much in SoS.  I think because it was left generally vague.

The Cruentus

True there is little explained about it, I recall that they say its more specifically empathy, a low-level telepath ability but the fact they have classifications means telepathy is not uncommon in that universe's time period. I just think its too supernatural to be honest. Still, I enjoyed the book so it didn't put me off.

BlueMarsalis79

Humans in Alien having any form of telepathy's f**king dumb.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 04, 2021, 01:02:46 PM
Humans in Alien having any form of telepathy's f**king dumb.
By itself, hell yeah. Equally as dumb as the concept of next step of human evolution in Predators.

I know Resurrection was bad to many, but I thought Ripley having some form of telepathy with the Aliens due to the hybridized Alien DNA proved the theory of telepathy communication between Aliens.

SM

The novelisation perhaps.  The film is more non-committal.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: SM on Feb 05, 2021, 12:34:39 AM
The novelisation perhaps.  The film is more non-committal.
Wait, how so? While its never said out loud, Ripley 8 pretty much said that she can feel them and knows that the Queen is in pain due to the live birth mutation, which as proven right later. Also the fact she can sense them breaking out and wreaking havoc on the ships, and sensing a chestburster in that one dude's chest. If that's not outright stating aliens have some form of telepathy, I have no idea what you can call that form of communication.

SM

SM

Doesn't even have to be ultrasonics.

She doesn't "sense" them breaking out - she outright hears them.  And her heightened normal senses could just make her able to hear things others can't.  The Queen was nearby when she was in pain.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed