Fox Announces Alien: Isolation Digital Series!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 27, 2019, 05:44:31 PM

Author
Fox Announces Alien: Isolation Digital Series! (Read 68,649 times)

SiL

Sweet f**k all.

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 07, 2019, 01:35:05 PM
What does the 4K version of Alien have to do with the Isolation series?
Nothing. The podcast announcement was posted in the Isolation thread. I was replying about the podcast, not the isolation thread. And that pushed the original discussion off-track.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 07, 2019, 01:35:05 PM
What does the 4K version of Alien have to do with the Isolation series?

Nothing. We just spend the last few minutes of the podcast episode talking about the new restoration.

Kradan

Just curious: where did you get image for this podcast from? Alien head looks similiar to Covenant one, doesn't it?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 07, 2019, 02:54:59 PMNothing. We just spend the last few minutes of the podcast episode talking about the new restoration.

Ah, gotcha.

Hudson

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 07, 2019, 09:18:34 AM
I absolutely loved the first Dead Space, so I'm still not entirely sure why I never got around to any of the sequels.

Always said the original was the best Alien game ever made until Isolation came around, it just didn't have the Alien in it.

Dead Space 2 is great. Dead Space 3 is the Mass Effect 3 of Dead Space.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 06, 2019, 01:59:42 PM
Podcast discussion/review is up. :) https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2019/03/06/alien-isolation-the-digital-series-discussion-avp-galaxy-podcast-82/

And YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Nzf477FAc

Listening to this made me realize that I was focusing entirely on the positives. I mean, I certainly noticed a lot of the negatives (especially the poor animation and horrible editing) but there were things like the "epilogue" and the surreal dream sequencs that I liked so much and have wanted to see in an Alien story for so long, that I think I wasn't judging the thing as a whole. As one of you mentioned that is the only fair way to judge something like that and I'll have to admit that as a whole, its a mess. There is some imagery and art direction in there which rivals some of the best the franchise has to offer, but the framework doesnt really hold together. Too bad the rest of it was so rushed because I feel that there are sequences that really work littered among and otherwise slap-dash presentation.
I'd actually prefer to see this story theatrically to most things, and Im not 100% sold on the idea of Amanda continuing on for long. I like the character but at this point it's starting to get absolutely ridiculous to keep assuming all of the stories in the franchise have been covered up by the company.

If they want to keep the franchise going the need to make a theatrical film or TV series, that addresses some degree of what is going on in WY. The suspension of disbelief required to swallow all of this having been swept under a rug is just silly and is just no longer working IMO.

I still would be thrilled to see a proper animated / computer-animated Alien series in the vein of Final Fantasy, as Hicks mentioned. I especially thing this is the only way AVP will ever work theatrically, but they need to go back to the source, and make a film that links WY's perspective to all these events while maintaining the air of mystique ALIEN and A:Isolation managed to embody.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 08, 2019, 04:31:45 AMDead Space 2 is great. Dead Space 3 is the Mass Effect 3 of Dead Space.

I really like Mass Effect 3 :P

But yeah, I'd heard the second was really good and the third wasn't. I just never got around to them for whatever reason.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 07, 2019, 05:49:02 PM
Just curious: where did you get image for this podcast from? Alien head looks similiar to Covenant one, doesn't it?

I think it's some of the Alien artwork from the Isolation press material. This was just another press material piece too.

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 08, 2019, 04:37:14 AM
I'd actually prefer to see this story theatrically to most things, and Im not 100% sold on the idea of Amanda continuing on for long. I like the character but at this point it's starting to get absolutely ridiculous to keep assuming all of the stories in the franchise have been covered up by the company.

To be fair, we only know her story extends as far as Resistance. We don't know how much further it goes or how far Fox is going to be taking Amanda.

QuoteIf they want to keep the franchise going the need to make a theatrical film or TV series, that addresses some degree of what is going on in WY. The suspension of disbelief required to swallow all of this having been swept under a rug is just silly and is just no longer working IMO.

Or perhaps something that gives a better understanding of the workings of the Company. I know how shit big companies are at internal communication so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see different elements of WY working towards the same ends but without awareness of each other. That's completely in the realms of possibility from my own experiences. Perhaps, it might just be good to see that in more black and white for people.

QuoteI still would be thrilled to see a proper animated / computer-animated Alien series in the vein of Final Fantasy, as Hicks mentioned. I especially thing this is the only way AVP will ever work theatrically, but they need to go back to the source, and make a film that links WY's perspective to all these events while maintaining the air of mystique ALIEN and A:Isolation managed to embody.

I'd be more excited for something like this - especially an animated AvP, whether it gets a theatrical release or not - than a new Ridley Scott film. This has been something I've wanted since that first viewing of Final Fantasy and those early morning showings of Roughneck Chronicles.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 08, 2019, 12:45:16 PM
Both entries, Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3 became compromised by Electronic Art's interference.

Leading to the indirect downfall of both Visceral Games and Bioware.

Neither are awful games, they just have awful rushed parts.

I don't think either game is bad, but both trilogies are similar in that Parts 1 & 2 are one thing while Part 3 feels like another thing.

To be fair, I haven't finished Dead Space 3 yet. But beyond the gameplay itself being quite a departure to the uniform consistency of Dead Space 1 & 2 (think consistency as in Gears of War 1/2/3 consistency), the fact that
Spoiler
the core consideration seems to be boyfriend/girlfriend heartbreak is kind of lame when the first two games seem much more focused on commentary regarding organized religion, cults, etc.
[close]

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed.

Bad Replicant

I liked it. There were obviously limitations they were working with, but is what it is and didn't ruin it for me. The way a lot of the sequences were put together was beautiful IMO, especially with the music.

SiL

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 08, 2019, 03:56:43 PM
the fact that
Spoiler
the core consideration seems to be boyfriend/girlfriend heartbreak is kind of lame when the first two games seem much more focused on commentary regarding organized religion, cults, etc.
[close]
Spoiler
Did we play the same games? The entire first game is you trying to find your dead girlfriend while keeping the ship from falling apart. The second game is heavier on the religious aspect, but still features your dead ex girlfriend repeatedly trying to murder you until you can partially lobotomise yourself to get over her. The games were always about the relationships first, with the religion and world building around it.
[close]

BlazinBlueReview

I tried watching The Digital Series. It was a bit difficult. I've played a small portion of the game. (Got to the part where had to get a key card while avoiding the Alien) It felt jarring seeing the Amanda model. The background plate was off as well. I give them points for having the thought of it. But the way it was handled was a little subpar. Or should I say more whelmed than anything.

However, this has turned my attention to this Youtube gameplay movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbp-01epFmk

Hudson

Quote from: SiL on Mar 08, 2019, 09:42:08 PM
Quote from: Hudson on Mar 08, 2019, 03:56:43 PM
the fact that
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
Did we play the same games? The entire first game is you trying to find your dead girlfriend while keeping the ship from falling apart. The second game is heavier on the religious aspect, but still features your dead ex girlfriend repeatedly trying to murder you until you can partially lobotomise yourself to get over her. The games were always about the relationships first, with the religion and world building around it.
[close]

You're not wrong, but I think I'm mostly thinking of the character in 3, the captain (it's been a while since I've played it). His inclusion turns everything into something that feels different and petty. The first two games are more psychological while the 3rd is something else. Still need to finish it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed