Alien: Covenant 2 Already Written!

Started by Ingwar, Mar 05, 2017, 07:51:42 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant 2 Already Written! (Read 58,095 times)

Infected

Quote from: Anthony on Mar 06, 2017, 02:06:27 PM
Quote from: Infected on Mar 06, 2017, 10:48:49 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Mar 06, 2017, 09:35:21 AM
Scott has always implied this would be a trilogy. There's no surprise that a sequel is already written.  You can bet the whole outline for a 3 movie treatment already exists.   It's a no brainer, really.

Quote from: Infected on Mar 06, 2017, 09:15:04 AMif the next installment will ever happen it has to be an Aliens movie all over.

Why not?  Let's see how this one finishes.  I'm absolutely certain 'ALIEN: Covenant' will be a success.  It wouldn't surprise me if Blomkamp is brought on board to direct the sequel.  I can see critical plot points are cannibalised from his 'ALIEN 5' (sans Ripley, of course) to make their way into the follow up movie.  Hell, even 'ALIENS' wasn't an original story.  Cameron cannibalised his own previous work to write the 'ALIENS' story.  I don't see why Blomkamp cant do the same.

I think it's an ideal compromise for everyone. 

-Windebieste.
Funny i was first thinking his son would enter the ring with the next movie, but Blomkamp could in fact be the runner up and helper in the next one.
So yeah im down for an Aliens type movie with the beauty of Ridley's visual eye, but no Ripley please no Weaver.
And no doubt Covenant will rock my boat

After how poorly Morgan did, I don't see Luke Scott taking the reins.

I personally have my own list of directors that could make a kick ass Alien film, but it seems like Ridley wants to do this all by himself.
Yes but like i said Ridley is starting to see the worth and importance of his Alien legacy,
and he probably saw what it did to George Lucas, i think Lucas has nightmares because of selling his baby to Disney, no matter how  much he got for it.
I think he disliked Blomkamps approach of the series, and therefor he will keep this close to the chest, and therefor pull his son closer to this then Blomkamp.
Just a guess from my side.

Whos_Nick

Prometheus was mixed and barely featured Aliens, still managed to crack 400 million worldwide. This is going for heavy Alien marketing, no doubt it will make money.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Mar 06, 2017, 04:03:27 PM
Prometheus was mixed and barely featured Aliens, still managed to crack 400 million worldwide. This is going for heavy Alien marketing, no doubt it will make money.

Actually movie critics gave Prometheus relatively positive reviews, however many have pointed out inconsistencies, plot holes, character motivations and other flaws of the film, a huge of the mixed reaction is the fan base, general movie goers ect. Its a mixed baggage.

It was a smart move to market it as more inline as an Alien movie though, question is will this be able to reach the success of Prometheus's box office intake, or even possibly exceed it, we'll have to wait and see.

Bojo

Bojo

Fans are certainly going to be far more cautious going into this film,even if it does receive decent reviews.

And the reviewers who gave Prometheus decent reviews but on reflection have now changed their opinions,and there has been a fair few,are likely going into this film with their pens well sharpened.

The marketing of Prometheus really was a testament to the power of hype.

harlequinade

Quote from: Enoch on Mar 06, 2017, 12:26:19 PM
Quote from: harlequinade on Mar 06, 2017, 11:45:20 AM
Quote from: Enoch on Mar 05, 2017, 09:26:27 PM
LOGAN - R rated movie

Total gross
Box office   $237.8 million
Retrieved March 5

!!!

No way Covenant gets anywhere Logan's Box Office, Logan got stellar reviews Covenant won't. Also it's Marvel and the marketing was spectacular with Covenant if you saw the trailer you pretty much saw the movie

How do you know that?

QuoteWith Covenant if you saw the trailer you pretty much saw the movie
Completely disagree with this. Tell me what is the movie central plot, please?

I read the plot. It's a rehash of Alien with Aliens and Prometheus elements being thrown in. I'd love for the movie to be good but Ridley was overpraised as it is for The Martian and even that didn't get Logan's kind of reviews. Prometheus was a big deal, people were excited because Ridley was back to making a movie in Alien franchise. And then they went to see it...I think it may not even reach Prometheus' numbers.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 05, 2017, 08:09:00 PM
Quote from: Evanus on Mar 05, 2017, 08:05:03 PM
Does that mean the next movie will come in about 3 years?

Hard to say. Scott wants to make western Wraiths of the Broken Land after Covenant or maybe he changed his mind.

From what I've been able to figure out so far he's now doing The Cartel next. Apparently the location scouting he did earlier this year in Spain was for that and not Wraiths as I initially assumed. Not 100% certain yet though. Maybe Goddard is still busy polishing Wraiths script.  :-\

Le Celticant

Alien hasn't made any breakthrough sales since a very very long time.
Video games and Comic book speaking.

Only things close we had were the AVP, which made a lot of money for what they cost.
But weren't either a true breakthrough in the sales.

Covenant is hoping the Fanbase will be enough, and I'm sure it'll to cover the cost.
But to directly produce a sequel I have more and more doubts.

Prometheus marketing was very clever in this regard.
It was a SF films with some kind of answer to big mankind questions.
It was also a lot more original than the average blockbuster about Alien attacks and zombies that comes out every year.
It picked people interests and as I said, the marketing was cleverly down.

Alien Covenant has terrible marketing and is hoping "Alien" in the title will sell well.
It'll likely sell because of Ridley Scott, Fasbender, Franco and Danny McBride in the credits.
But I doubt it'll be anything like a breakthrough. Somewhere along the lines Prometheus sold but I wouldn't see it top that by a lot.
It has in fact more chances to makes less since it's starting to be the same story again and again. People get bored.

Pvt. Himmel

The marketing hasn't begun fully yet. ;)

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 05, 2017, 07:51:42 PMWhat we did really well on Prometheus, considering that it was a ground zero idea that was starting all over again, was I discovered that people do have an appetite for the alien and what he means and his evolution – the egg, the facehugger, the chestburster as we call them.

People still want to see it. So I return to a little bit of that but not wholeheartedly; there's a lot in here which is new as well.

This was implicitly obvious before, but it's worth taking a moment to absorb now that Scott has articulated it. For a moment I was surprised to read Scott appearing to criticize Covenant before it was even released, but Fox had it coming if they forced his hand. He doesn't ever say that there is a good story reason for the change in direction. It was changed due to audience demand, which is not the best way to decide story. I'm doing my best to embrace this new movie, but we aren't getting the movie that Scott wanted to make, and that's a crime against science fiction, right there. Critics are going to notice Fox backpedaling on the Prometheus franchise. The fact that Prometheus was fresh made them cautiously optimistic for the return of the franchise. I think Covenant is going to split them, with many critics registering disappointment that Fox killed their most promising science fiction property in order to promote their most tired one.

Stolen

Stolen

Quote from: Le Celticant on Mar 06, 2017, 04:57:45 PM
It has in fact more chances to makes less since it's starting to be the same story again and again. People get bored.

But they won't bored of these horrible Marvel movies?

It should do pretty much the same score as Prometheus in domestic, but surely much more in foreign.

Domestic : 130-150M$
Foreign : 300-400M$

fiveways

Covenant will make 350-450 million.  You cannot begin to compare this franchise to the powerhouse that is anything Marvel related.  It's f**king Wolverine, one of the most iconic characters in super hero history being played for the last time by the guy that made him even more popular.  The only thing that will make that kinda money this year is GotG2 (and it will make more with its PG-13 rating)

Martian was a Matt Damon vehicle, so that comparison is out as Damon has WAY more drawing power than everyone in Covenant combined (before someone says Fassbender I would like to point of the stunning failure of Assassin's Creed, which after advertising and all the back end costs is still probably in the red).

Compare it box office wise to similar franchises.  The last Terminator made 440m globally.  That is a far more realistic comparison as both franchises have a rocky history when it comes to sequels and quality.

So far, Prometheus is murdering Covenant advertising wise.  i was at a fever pitch by now waiting for proemtheus to open.  Covenant I am slightly more excited for than I was a month ago.  I still think there is a large percent chance it will be a total dog of a movie and completely tank at the box office.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: harlequinade on Mar 06, 2017, 04:47:30 PM
I think it may not even reach Prometheus' numbers.

Quote from: Le Celticant on Mar 06, 2017, 04:57:45 PM
But I doubt it'll be anything like a breakthrough. Somewhere along the lines Prometheus sold but I wouldn't see it top that by a lot.

Considering that the production budget for Covenant is reportedly less than that of Prometheus you two may be right. The traditional thinking in Hollywood is usually to go bigger for the sequel since the financial risk is less if the first film did really well.

And couple that with the fact that the marketing budget is usually reflective of the production budget which could mean that Covenant won't be as heavily promoted as Prometheus was.

motherfather

motherfather

In order to get Sigourney as Ripley back in Covenant 2 would need some very youthful stage makeup, and it would need some explaining for her ageing, plus she would need to be up for lots of running through corridors and prancing about.

Getting another actor to play Ripley in another movie could be possible, but very risky. To me, Sigourney = Ripley, and Ripley = Sigourney. She would fit much better in a post-Aliens Blomkamp film, rather than a Covenant 2 or 3.

Given that Ripley was chest-bursted and last seen falling into a furnace in Alien 3, I cannot see her surviving by some weird split second plot twist as she fell. So her insertion back into the franchise can only be between Aliens and Alien 3 timeline.

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: motherfather on Mar 06, 2017, 05:19:44 PM
In order to get Sigourney as Ripley back in Covenant 2 would need some very youthful stage makeup, and it would need some explaining for her ageing, plus she would need to be up for lots of running through corridors and prancing about.

Getting another actor to play Ripley in another movie could be possible, but very risky. To me, Sigourney = Ripley, and Ripley = Sigourney. She would fit much better in a post-Aliens Blomkamp film, rather than a Covenant 2 or 3.

Why would we be getting or want Ripley back for the Covenant sequels ?

I personally hope we never see Ripley again. I think the Alien universe is too dependent on her. It can stand on its own. I think Blomkamps film would be better served to not have her in it. Then we have not retconning. No alternate sequel.

Le Celticant

Jeff Bridges did play a younger Jeff Bridges too in Tron Legacy called Clue.
Performance capture, nothing's impossible.
And it's becoming more and more a standard.

Easiest way to make anyone eternal.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed