Ah, f**k it, it's just Columbo thread now

Started by Kradan, Aug 02, 2021, 05:38:48 PM

Author
Ah, f**k it, it's just Columbo thread now (Read 8,106 times)

Stitch

Quote from: Kradan on Sep 23, 2021, 05:05:18 AM
Started watching Twin Peaks. That does count as a detective story, right ?
Sort of. There's definitely a detective story going on there, at least in the beginning. Regardless, it's a brilliant show, one of my favourites. I have the tie in books as well.

Kradan

Interesting article trying to prove that Columbo isn't as good as people remember

https://columbophile.com/2022/02/27/columbos-biggest-mystery/

Kradan

Kradan

https://youtu.be/uTS17vwzxu4

Isn't Donald Pleasence wonderful ?

Kradan

Kradan

Courtesy of Twin Peaks subreddit

Ok, ok, let me write this one down, Do you have a pencil ? I forgot mine, my wife says I gotta pay more attention to my belongings. Thank you. Ok, what did you say her name was ? Laaaaura ... Laaaaura Paaalmer, is that it ? Got it. Is that her photo ? Would you mind me taking it ? Such a beatiful girl, very sorry to hear that, sir. You know, I got a nephew, a very young one, you know. He's engaged and his fiance looked very much like that beatiful girl. Gee, isn't that something ? Alright, sorry to disturb you, Mr. Palmer, I know, I know, it's late and you probably want to be left alone for the moment and to get some rest and here I am asking you all this questions. I'm sorry, sir, it's just the formalities, nothing to worry about. I'm very sorry to bother you. Alright, I'm leaving, is that the door I came in ? Have a good night sir, Oh, just one more thing ...

Kradan

Kradan

My mini-review of "Columbo Likes The Nightlife" (2003)

Spoiler
This might sound controversial to some but I think this is nearly perfect way to conclude the series. It has such a beatiful sense of melancholy, it briliantly captures just how much time has passed, how much things have changed. Columbo's most known for his 70s adventures - back when everything was so hopeful and bright. Sure, people got murdered from time to time but it seemed more like an exception to the rule than the rule itself, something that disturbes the normal order of things. And murderers themselves - there's always a sense of class to them, they didn't want to get their hands dirty, they'd rather hit their victim with a stone to the head or use a gun with silencer than strangle or cut their bellies open with a knife. Murderers dressed nice, drove nice cars and lived in nice houses

Things are much different at the beginning of XXI century though. It seems like every other person is a drug addict. Everything is ugly and drowns in the darkness. Setting of a nightclub itself is a stark contrast to the feel of "classical" Columbo. Owner of the club and the murderer in this particular case, Justin Price, seems like a nice enough fellow but there's almost no class to him. There's no grace to his actions- he just strangles his victim with his own bare hands screaming like a caveman. And then victim fells out of the window and gets lynched by his own radiator. Pretty gruesome way to go if you ask me. Also, the victim itself, unlike most of them from the "classic" era, has no likability at all, he spies on celebrities to find out their dirty laundry, blackmails his used-to-be partner, not very galant with women and just looks like a despicable person all around- so much so that I actually begin to symphatise with Justin for killing that bastard. I actually quite like Justin - yes he killed one man and covered up the murder of another but he's a pleasent person otherwise and he's quite dedicated to do everything in his power to make his nightclub the best one in town. His devotion to the thing he loves most actually reminds me of Adrian Carsini - my favourite Columbo murderer, brilliantly played by late Donald Pleasence

Columbo himself seems like a relic of an old era, he just doesn't fit in that world of computers and pagers. He still gets around fine though and is respected by the younger generation of cops. Columbo from revival era seems gets accused of doing too much goofy of straight-up stupid shit. I don't really see that here. Falk gives a great performance as a cool, level-headed Columbo that is not overly dramatic - he just goes around asking questions, collecting info and slowly tightening that net around Justin and his fiance. I like cat-and-mouse dynamic he has with Justin, the latter one starts as pretty friendly and open towards detective, slowly gets annoyed with him which culminates in his outrage when Columbo spoils his big opening night. That old grey-haired man seems like a genuine threat to his suspects which is conveyed by their performances - Mathew Rhys and Jennifer Sky do a great job playing the murdererous couple. The fact that Columbo actually gets some help from a mafia messenger just once again shows how twisted this world got. Final gotcha with a slow reveal of a dead body laying in a water tank in infra-red is great IMO and it's interesting seeing Columbo take some advantage of modern technology. Then Columbo just goes away - without any big fanfare or "This Old Man" playing in the background. But even that moment is somewhat soured when you remember that mafia is after Justin and Vanessa and they probably will get executed long before they get to the courtroom - Columbo's essentially doomed them

Just one more thing - I really dig the soundtrack of the episode and how it incorporates nightclub's tunes into the episode's overall dark and somewhat depressing atmosphere
[close]

May 04, 2022, 06:34:30 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 05, 2021, 04:30:06 PMDid you know that Soviet Sherlock Holmes (played by great Vasiliy Livanov) is the best on-screen portrayal of the character ever ? Even Brits admit it !

https://n1s1.starhit.ru/50/91/be/5091be57bfbb72027e1c530c6b34b692/600x400_0_d5aed6f8e34924a0cdc2e0e2189a012b@600x400_0xac120003_19077964551563273082.jpg
Spoiler
At least Russians claim so

Kinda sad that he thinks of Ukranians as fascists and is pro-Putin
[close]

Gee. this aged well

Kradan

Kradan

Best "gotcha" IMO

Kradan

Hot damn, this is so awesome

Kradan

Columbo meets Russian Cleaning Lady

Darwinsgirl

Kraden...you silly boi!

Kradan

Kradan

Kradan

Kradan

Just discovered that Robert Culp, actor who played several Columbo murderers, has also provided his voice for Wallace Breen from Half Life 2

https://half-life.fandom.com/wiki/Robert_Culp

#Mindblown

Kradan

Kradan

Kradan

Hot dang, that is one hell of a COOL poster !

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed