Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 455

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 274,071 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The film's indeed far superior to the source.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Loved David in both Prometheus and Covenant.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

And by the way I'm far from serious when implying film's objective, more so,
I'm only pulling your yoke for again posting a criticism repeated before:

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 01, 2020, 08:22:52 AM
I did really don't like David in Covenant though. Michael Fassbender's performance's predictably good, I just hated the way the character's written. He went from an interesting, layered character to an obvious moustache-twirling villain. And the switcheroo "twist" was so f**king obvious I (and many others) called it before it even happened.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 20, 2019, 07:49:34 AM
Basically exactly how I feel about it. Quite like the start, but once David arrives it really tanks, and that's despite Michael Fassbender's David being the one thing I genuinely loved in the previous movie.
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 21, 2017, 02:58:50 PM
Sadly it was by far the best part of the film, but still, it's probably the most intense an Alien film's got since Aliens.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 13, 2020, 04:22:57 PM
Loved David in both Prometheus and Covenant.

Haven't really cared for him in Prometheus but Covenant was his time to shine

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I thought Fassbender's performance in Covenant was all over the place.

Not sure how much of that was the direction and how much was the way the character was written.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Alien: Covenant retroactively enhances Prometheus for me. Nothing can totally salvage Prometheus' absurdly incompetent writing and editing in full, but  Prometheus is chock full of interesting ideas (David chief among them) and it is those elements that Alien: Covenant runs with and soars.

The nature of creation and the relationship between "parents" and their "children" is at the heart of the prequel films, and Alien: Covenant muddies those waters by throwing a wrench in everything we knew (and, yes, retconning things) while telling a story that thematically taps into what made the original films so appealing to me.

So David, the repressed android with daddy issues and a lust for the very thing he hates, creates the penis-headed monstrosity that terrorizes and violates humanity for generations to come after being scorned by his creators and disappointed by the creators of his creators? That just feels so explicitly "Alien" to me, while also allowing the audience to have their cake and eat it to - yeah, David made the capital-A version of the Alien that we see in Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, and Alien: Resurrection. But at the same time, Prometheus showcases various preliminary forms of the Alien (the Hammerpede's acid blood, the gestation method of the Trilobite, the Deacon's general shape, etc.) via the Pathogen as being pre-existing, so that Lovecraftian element of the unknown, uncaring cosmic horror at the genesis of all of this still remains intact. The capital-A Alien is David's, through and through (at least, until some other story comes along and retcons this) and it is the perfect embodiment of his hatred for humanity and his infatuation with birth and creation, but there are also now an infinite number of tangential directions that can run parallel to these concepts and stand apart from David's handiwork as well if a filmmaker ever wants to explore a narrative that centers around tangential offshoots or predecessors of what we have seen before up to this point.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 13, 2020, 04:22:57 PM
Loved David in both Prometheus AvP and Covenant Frankenstein.

Spoiler
[close]

Kradan

Kradan

*insert gif of Chris Evans as Captain America saying "I get that reference" here*

426Buddy

426Buddy

AvP is more fun to watch :laugh:

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I wouldn't go that far, I genuinely like Prometheus while AvP...

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

AVP is trying to be trashy fun, and it succeeds. Prometheus thinks it's a smart movie, and it fails. AVP is more successful at what it's trying to be.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I don't think "trashy" was Anderson's intent with AVP at all. I seem to recall his intentions being that he wanted to honor the legacies of the original films, create a true prequel to Alien, etc...

The only film in the franchise that I'd say actually intentionally went for "trashy" is Alien: Resurrection. Jeunet's biggest interests while making the film centered around riffing on on the then-modern American blockbuster action movie style and structure.

Kradan

Kradan

What about AVPR ?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 13, 2020, 09:15:36 PM
What about AVPR ?

That one's an unintentional comedy. Dark humor mostly.

Kradan

Kradan

Fair enough   :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed