Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 455

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 274,145 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 27, 2020, 03:50:17 PMEverything else, though? Oozing with pure Ridley Scott, which can be great at times and middling at others, but it is his vision through and through, and I'll take that over, well, an entire film just remaking that third act, or Alien, or Aliens.

Really?

I thought the the whole "evil robot with daddy issues" sub-plot was cliched and uninspired in the extreme. I loved David in Prometheus, but in Covenant he was so cardboard.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 27, 2020, 05:39:00 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 27, 2020, 03:50:17 PMEverything else, though? Oozing with pure Ridley Scott, which can be great at times and middling at others, but it is his vision through and through, and I'll take that over, well, an entire film just remaking that third act, or Alien, or Aliens.

Really?

I thought the the whole "evil robot with daddy issues" sub-plot was cliched and uninspired in the extreme. I loved David in Prometheus, but in Covenant he was so cardboard.

I see it less as "Daddy Issues" (which is more how it came across in Prometheus to me) and more about his dissatisfaction with the entire lineage of biological creation, and more directly with the way that biological life is sexually conceived (perhaps because it is something he cannot do himself?). His creation of the Alien is ultimately twofold; it represents his distaste of the failed biological lifeforms that he wants to leave behind and transcend with the dawn of his biomechanical "Perfect Organism," and his own sexual frustrations that he manifests into a bastardization of the human reproductive system that he explicitly engineered with the intention to violate and rape the human body.

It definitely isn't perfectly compatible with the in-universe "lore" behind the Alien in the original film, but  I do absolutely see this as an inspired take on the material. It uses the concepts inherent to the franchise since the beginning and puts a new, character-driven spin on them while allowing Ridley to tell a story from that android perspective that is fascinating him so much these days.

Kradan

Kradan

Every time someone says "David" and "daddy's issues" close to each other:

426Buddy

426Buddy

Really?

Hmm didn't come off cliche or uninspired to me.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Really?

Alien Covenant is a overhated movie. It has some really good set pieces and Michael Fasbender was quite good IMO. I think Prometheus & Covenant are movies that have good concept and an interesting story but that failed nonetheless, probably in execution.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 31, 2020, 07:12:41 PMAlien Covenant is a overhated movie. It has some really good set pieces and Michael Fasbender was quite good IMO. I think Prometheus & Covenant are movies that have good concept and an interesting story but that failed nonetheless, probably in execution.

I'd actually agree with that. I honestly feel the Neomorph birth sequence in Covenant is the best movie scene featuring an Alien since the failed clones in Resurrection; all the complaints about Faris falling over never washed with me, because what she's just witnessed would f**k anyone right up. It's just a shame all the things I hated about the movie were piled up towards the end, because it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth despite the earlier good bits.

I did really dislike David in Covenant though. Fassbender's performance was predictably good, I just hated the way the character was written. He went from an interesting, layered character to an obvious moustache-twirling villain. And the switcheroo "twist" was so f**king obvious I (and many others) called it before it even happened.

SM

SM

The 'switcheroo' is obvious as soon Walter speaks before the 7 minute mark.  Before that if you watched any of the pre release material.  I don't even really see it as a legitimate criticism to be honest.

Kradan

Kradan

I honestly don't mind third act. Yeah, it's rehash of what we've seen before but at least it's still Ridley behind the camera and I just happy to see Xenos on-screen even if I wish they weren't treated as cannon fodder. And element of "Walter" watching cameras gives it a nice spin IMO

Evanus

Evanus

Reading the leaks I was afraid David would be a cliché moustache twirling villain without depth. Thankfully after watching the movie, it turns out he wasn't. There's some moustache twirling for sure, but he's still a fascinating well written character.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, I fully immersed myself in all the leaks for Covenant as well and I... didn't like the sound of any of it, to put it bluntly.

Then seeing the movie and how it was executed really flipped my mindset.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I think the Alien was something the movie could have done without, just focus on the Neomorphs instead. Either that or simply just keep it to one Alien instead of two, as it doesn't feel so persistent and stalker-like when it is a completely different individual on the ship instead of the same Alien chasing them fom the citadel.

Faris tripping never bothered me too much, her hypocriticism did though. She locks Karine in and refuses to let her out due to contamination, yet Faris has Ledward's blood all over her face, making her just as much if not even more a contamination threat than Karine was.

I personally don't agree with the sexual frustration thing as you would need to have sex organs and feeling to be able to be sexually frustrated in the first place. That being said, who knows what goes on in a synthetic brain.

SM

SM

I didn't have an issue with Faris locking Karine in.  People who panic act selfishly all the time.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

I can buy her locking Faris in despite still having the contaminated blood on her face due to sheer panic. For me, it was more the fact the first thing she did after refusing to let her out was go and get a gun then go back inside regardless. I think they could have just had the Neomorph break out without the slipping on blood scene.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I appreciated the chaotic panic of the whole scene, it felt like a nightmare come to life.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Rewatched it recently. Way worse than I remembered. Lazy writing, lazy directing, useless characters, pretty bad, dumb and pretentious movie overall. A bad slasher. Thanks Ridley keep it up !

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed