It’s Time to Redeem Prometheus [Esquire Opinion Piece]

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 31, 2021, 08:52:33 AM

Author
It’s Time to Redeem Prometheus [Esquire Opinion Piece] (Read 2,520 times)

Corporal Hicks

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a37377867/prometheus-movie-defense-essay/

QuoteEvery so often a film comes along with the capacity to break a friendship in half. Those of us who saw Prometheus in 2012 may understand what I mean. The exploding head, the inexplicable pale giant, the unresolved mysteries of humanity's origins—it all left me enraged. Where is the Xenomorph?! Listening to a friend outside the theater insist that Prometheus is an excellent film, that it's an intelligent film, one that I might just not necessarily understand, well, it drove me up a wall. And it made me want to blast my phone, and our friendship, into the vacuum of space. I thought he was full of shit.

Almost 10 years after the release of Prometheus, Disney, now having acquired 20th Century Fox, shows no interest in revisiting the audacious, black-goo-infested world of the 2012 prequel. They announced in December last year that Fargo showrunner Noah Hawley will be shuffling the Xenomorphs onto television, promising an Alien show set on Earth that will somehow combine the horror and action of the first two films of the original quadrilogy. So the questions posed by Prometheus will remain unanswered.

At least, that's what I thought until I finally revisited the film for my podcast this summer. I realized that we've all been watching Prometheus the wrong way. We went into it expecting to find the origins of Weyland-Yutani, the Xenomorph, and based on what we learned from the (unforgettably promising) trailers, perhaps even humanity itself. We thought we didn't get them, so we called the movie disappointing. But to quote Elizabeth Shaw, "We were wrong. We were so, so wrong."

Nightmare Asylum

"It's time to redeem Prometheus."

Covenant did that. ;)

David Weyland

Prometheus Theatrical cut is an ok to good film

A fan cut like the Prometheus Chaos edition (until a director cut) is a very very good bordering on excellent film

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed