Flaws of Isolation

Started by Kradan, Mar 20, 2019, 03:05:09 PM

Author
Flaws of Isolation (Read 29,604 times)

Voodoo Magic

I can't argue with the complaints that Alien Isolation framework was too long. The game would have been way better served if they eliminated all these Atari mini puzzles games to make equipment work, and eliminated all the silly locked doors that you culmatively spend hours to figure out how to unlock. That isn't horror, that's monotonous.

The perfect execution of this game in my opinion, truly capturing that Alien experience, would be to make each game playable in 60 minutes. I don't have a modern day game to compare it to, but there was an old Atari 2600 vintage game called "Adventure" where the object was to find the Enchanted Chalice. There were dragons that attacked you. There were three keys that opened three small castles. And each time you played, all the items and the villains were randomized. You didn't know where the threats were and where the items were to win the game each time you played. Now apply that to an Alien game.

60 Minutes. The ship is going to blow. Object is to survive the Alien and escape on a shuttle before the ship blows, and every time you play, all the components you need are randomly placed, even the escape shuttle hatch on the ship. The ship is falling apart. Lights are flickering. Just being against the clock is pulse pounding enough. 5 minutes left. "The ship will automatically destruct in "T-Minus 5 Minutes" you hear over the ships speaker system.  You're running around not knowing where the Alien is. Opening and closing doors behind you. Holy shit the Alien is in the corridor you need to go! Now that's the Alien experience I want!

Corporal Hicks

Sounds a little like what I've heard of the Atari game.

BlueMarsalis79

Just play Crew Expendable and Lone Survivor back to back.

But I know you mean a Roguelike basically.

But I liked the Metroidvania nature of Isolation.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 27, 2021, 01:47:22 PM
I can't argue with the complaints that Alien Isolation framework was too long. The game would have been way better served if they eliminated all these Atari mini puzzles games to make equipment work, and eliminated all the silly locked doors that you culmatively spend hours to figure out how to unlock. That isn't horror, that's monotonous.

The perfect execution of this game in my opinion, truly capturing that Alien experience, would be to make each game playable in 60 minutes. I don't have a modern day game to compare it to, but there was an old Atari 2600 vintage game called "Adventure" where the object was to find the Enchanted Chalice. There were dragons that attacked you. There were three keys that opened three small castles. And each time you played, all the items and the villains were randomized. You didn't know where the threats were and where the items were to win the game each time you played. Now apply that to an Alien game.

60 Minutes. The ship is going to blow. Object is to survive the Alien and escape on a shuttle before the ship blows, and every time you play, all the components you need are randomly placed, even the escape shuttle hatch on the ship. The ship is falling apart. Lights are flickering. Just being against the clock is pulse pounding enough. 5 minutes left. "The ship will automatically destruct in "T-Minus 5 Minutes" you hear over the ships speaker system.  You're running around not knowing where the Alien is. Opening and closing doors behind you. Holy shit the Alien is in the corridor you need to go! Now that's the Alien experience I want!

Honestly, when news of Isolation being developed only started to appear and all we had was couple of screenshots I thought game was gonna be just that: you going around big-ass station in non-linear fashion with Alien being able to randomly appear in any part of the station so there's 50/50 chance of it appearing or not appearing at all. It would've been cool to have trully deserted station without any survivors or synthetics whatsoever. Just one Alien and you. You learn what happened from occasional logs you find. You have shelter to hide and save your progress (kinda like Safe Haven/Lost Contact DLCs) but you're forced to make trips to find food, water and other resources. Ultimate goal of the game would be to find a way to escape. Or you can just explore station sections infinitely if you like so

I would like Isolation sequel to have more of a "open-world" feel to it

BlueMarsalis79

That's basically the Unpredictable Alien modification.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jul 27, 2021, 01:58:26 PM
But I know you mean a Roguelike basically.

Yeah, sort of. I think it could also work with the layout structure of the ship always staying the same and only the locations of the interactive/completion items being random. Just think of the replay value!  :)

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 27, 2021, 03:20:48 PM
It would've been cool to have trully deserted station without any survivors or synthetics whatsoever. Just one Alien and you.

Yes! Just that statement alone gives me the chills! :)

----

With all that said, I do like Alien Isolation.  It just needs some refining to me, to really capture that 1979 Alien experience and become that Perfect-10 Alien game.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 27, 2021, 01:56:54 PM
Sounds a little like what I've heard of the Atari game.
That's exactly it. You control the crew. Air is running out. One person randomly dies first, one person is randomly the android. Multiple victory conditions. Good luck.

[cancerblack]

There was a fan game doing the rounds in about 2010 that was just one randomised alien, in a randomised network of vents. Graphics were pretty naff tho.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

This all kind of reminds of me of this game.

Kradan

Kradan

I know it's the central point of game's narrative and it may sound as total blasphemy to some but Ripley's recording to Amanda never sat quite right with me. I never sit through a whole thing, usually I skip it. I don't know, it just doesn't sound like Ripley to me. I used to Ripley being somewhat cool and collected and  hearing her being so emotional and soupy (even if if towards her own daughter) rubs me the wrong way, it feels off to me

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 01, 2022, 06:09:40 PM
I know it's the central point of game's narrative and it may sound as total blasphemy to some but Ripley's recording to Amanda never sat quite right with me. I never sit through a whole thing, usually I skip it. I don't know, it just doesn't sound like Ripley to me. I used to Ripley being somewhat cool and collected and  hearing her being so emotional and soupy (even if if towards her own daughter) rubs me the wrong way, it feels off to me

Is it because the message has been retrofitted to contain a bit about Amanda? Personally, it felt off to me too.

Kradan

Kradan

Yeeeeah

Kradan

Kradan

https://youtu.be/_iV0DV0O2Ks

Courtesy of DarthJoker45

judge death

I love it and I will claim it was the best game of 2014 and probably in the top games of all time.

Maybe a bit long but then that would make me wish it was longer. xD IF one is unhappy with the sounds of the xeno, then you have mods on pc :)

And not scary? Most people I know especielly those using VR claim its too scary and only played like 20% before deciding its too scary, to us hardcore xeno fans its different as the creature isnt scary to us, only scary stuff is when the xeno will show up and get away and not die, heck even myself who play it for the 5 time cans till be surprised by the xeno: not hearing it until its behind me and I die xD

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I've never found any game on the planet earth too scary to play. 

I've got too much of that Cr1TiKaL personality I guess. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed