Interview with Ben Rigby (Ledward from Alien: Covenant) - AvP Galaxy Podcast #64

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2018, 11:21:21 AM

Author
Interview with Ben Rigby (Ledward from Alien: Covenant) - AvP Galaxy Podcast #64 (Read 14,627 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 64th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Our latest episode features an interview with the Ben Rigby (who plays Ledward), the actor front and center in Alien: Covenant’s most memorable scene – the backburster! This latest episode was guest hosted by Muthur (aka Clara) from the Yutani Blog.

Ben talks about how he got into acting, the audition process, not leaning back while wearing prosthetic and plenty more! You can also learn more about Ben and see his photography on his Twitter and Instagram pages. Check him out!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunesPodBean and Stitcher.

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

MU-TH-UR 6000

Nice Alien-Day gift! Gonna have a listen when I'm back home.

The Cruentus

Nice interview, Ben Rigby seems like a cool guy with some interesting views. I agree that a sci/fi film really needs to be done well for it to have the necessary impact. Its an easy genre to get wrong.

Ledward's death scene is probably one of the better parts of the film, its just a shame it was spoiled by the trailers. It could have been more effective if it came as, well, not so much a surprise since you know something is happening to him, but I suppose "wowed" by seeing for backbursting for the first time.

MU-TH-UR 6000

Just heard it as well. Really chill guy, with a fantastic taste in directors! Love all the ones he mentioned (even if You Were Never Really Here was a bit subpar for that director, in my opinion). It's also really nice to hear someone who appreciated the little religious and gothic nods Logan dropped throughout the movie. The background stories and themes going on in Covenant and Prometheus are really interesting, just wish the main story for both was just handled better.

Scorpio

"My character was the first to die and I wanted to make him as much of an arsehole as I could because he was so careless to smoke a cigarette on like this beautiful island.. and he throws his cigarette.. and I thought those were choices Ridley and I came up with together... I felt safe coming up with a distinct character that maybe represented the carelessness of humanity and the reason that maybe we were on a colony mission to begin with"

All the complaints about 'dumb scientists', from Benjamin Rigby, it was the intention all along.

The Cruentus

Ledward was security, not a scientist as far as I am aware, and his carelessness and lieing for no reason to have a ciggy pales in comparison when science officer and man of god, Oram, sticks his head into an egg after everything he is witnessed.  :P Plus Ben was talking about his character, not the others.

There's carelessness and there is supreme dumbness.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 27, 2018, 12:50:03 AM
"My character was the first to die and I wanted to make him as much of an arsehole as I could because he was so careless to smoke a cigarette on like this beautiful island.. and he throws his cigarette.. and I thought those were choices Ridley and I came up with together... I felt safe coming up with a distinct character that maybe represented the carelessness of humanity and the reason that maybe we were on a colony mission to begin with"

All the complaints about 'dumb scientists', from Benjamin Rigby, it was the intention all along.

Good point

Scorpio

Quote from: The Cruentus on Apr 27, 2018, 12:33:36 PM
Ledward was security, not a scientist as far as I am aware, and his carelessness and lieing for no reason to have a ciggy pales in comparison when science officer and man of god, Oram, sticks his head into an egg after everything he is witnessed.  :P Plus Ben was talking about his character, not the others.

There's carelessness and there is supreme dumbness.

Or there's human ego getting in the way of progress.

Security are also given training, not as much as a scientist, but for this kind of mission it probably would have been more extensive than your average security training.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Urgggghhhhh I've got mixed feelings about this podcast.

Interesting how a 30 minute interview was fashioned out of interviewing a guy who was for all sense and purposes a "STAR TREK-redshirt".
A criticism aimed at lack of character development in all ALIEN movies starting with ALIEN 3 onwards.
ALIEN and ALIENS will always be the benchmark of memorable character development done right without being forced or re-reading press releases prior to invention of the IMDB.com. Speaking of which his IMDB profile page is as incomplete as his movie character.

While I rated ALIEN-COVENANT a 3.5/5 (heck even a 4/5 on a good day) it's the first futuristic "ALIEN" entry since 1997 Resurrection so its not like the competition this franchise is strong. Fans place value on futuristic settings and believeable "realistic" representations of workplaces in space.

I will say MUTHUR sounded a little, ahem "smitten" by talking to 6 foot 1 Ben the kiwi so I hope no judgement was clouded during the production of this podcast or the admission she felt COVENANT was the best ALIEN movie of all time, as proclaimed @ 9:38.

To be frank you might as well have interview "The Pizza Guy" from AVP-Requiem if the basis is on discussing a cardboard cut-out character.

SM

Yeah, let's piss on the people actually going out and putting in the effort to generate content.  Great idea.

So what if the character didn't have any development?  Supporting characters genereally don't- including just about everyone in Aliens.  I thought it was interesting to hear how he came to acting, how he got cast, and what he was able to bring to the role for the small amount of screentime.

BishopShouldGo

Rigby has one of the best scenes in the movie. It's cool and unique to get his perspective, as we've already been exposed to what people like Waterston or Fassbender think or how they feel in regards to Covenant.

When you're being interviewed by people who are ardent fans from a fan site and not just a general movie site, you're going to get better content. Better questions, better answers, better overall discussion. Appreciate it, CAPCOM, it's good stuff.

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Thanks for having me on the show guys, I really appreciate it. Ben was really lovely, he had to reschedule a number of times and I did feel I was being a pain chasing him up for an interview constantly. We ended up speaking longer than the allotted time and he expressed he'd love to chat about the movie again. We didn't even get to talk about David and Walter, which was something he was really interested in sharing.

As for being smitten? No, not really. I have just spent a lot of time interviewing people who worked on the movie, and I could tell he was a genuine fan of the Alien franchise.

I love Alien: Covenant for my own reasons, I don't expect people to share my views. No more than I would expect people to love anchovies or the colour Cerulean, but what I do expect is for people to treat others with respect. So please, stop being a dipshit those being dipshits.

And for anyone who'd like to read my post about this podcast, you will find it on my blog. Where I show my appreciation of all the Alien movies, along with other like-minded individuals.

https://yutani.blog/2018/05/03/creatives-ben-rigby/#more-2354

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on May 01, 2018, 01:21:01 PM
Urgggghhhhh I've got mixed feelings about this podcast.

Interesting how a 30 minute interview was fashioned out of interviewing a guy who was for all sense and purposes a "STAR TREK-redshirt".

Ledward might not have been a main character but he was central in the films more iconic scene. Now the question here is - regardless of his screentime - did you find what he had to say about his time on the film interesting? If yes, then I'm not sure what the problem is?

QuoteI will say MUTHUR sounded a little, ahem "smitten" by talking to 6 foot 1 Ben the kiwi so I hope no judgement was clouded during the production of this podcast or the admission she felt COVENANT was the best ALIEN movie of all time, as proclaimed @ 9:38.

Or perhaps excited to be chatting to someone who worked on a film she very much enjoyed? Again, what is the problem with that? Did that impede her ability to interview Ben? I certainly don't feel that was the case here.

QuoteTo be frank you might as well have interview "The Pizza Guy" from AVP-Requiem if the basis is on discussing a cardboard cut-out character.

If I thought he had something interesting to say I'd certainly go after him. Seriously, I'm not sure what your issue is here?

Quote from: muthur9000 on May 03, 2018, 12:15:57 PM
Thanks for having me on the show guys, I really appreciate it. Ben was really lovely, he had to reschedule a number of times and I did feel I was being a pain chasing him up for an interview constantly. We ended up speaking longer than the allotted time and he expressed he'd love to chat about the movie again. We didn't even get to talk about David and Walter, which was something he was really interested in sharing.

And I'm very thankful you were able to get involved. I appreciate you joined on my invitation and had to step in to record because I was unable to join in the actual recording. I really appreciate your work on recording this.

The Cruentus

Unfortunately the actor who played the pizza guy, I think the character's name was Ricky, is dead. He fell to his death after murdering an 81 year old lady. https://www.yahoo.com/news/warning-signs-seen-actors-violent-end-071207488.html

Scorpio

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 03, 2018, 07:34:17 PM
Unfortunately the actor who played the pizza guy, I think the character's name was Ricky, is dead. He fell to his death after murdering an 81 year old lady. https://www.yahoo.com/news/warning-signs-seen-actors-violent-end-071207488.html

:o

Don't know what to say about that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed