[Grain Of Salt] Aliens/3/Resurrection 4K Remasters Inbound

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 23, 2021, 08:41:07 PM

Author
[Grain Of Salt] Aliens/3/Resurrection 4K Remasters Inbound (Read 32,366 times)

SiL

It'll be interesting to see if he was working on it, or if he just did some 4K upscales for personal experimentation and the announcement coincided. The comments on his "This was quick!" Tweet seem to imply he wasn't working on it officially.

But let's see!

Predalien39

This is great news. Here are my hopes:
1) they take this opportunity to fix the compositing issues in Alien 3.
2) as much as I dislike AVP the proper extended cut needs a better release. A lot of fans don't even realize it exists, only the extended opening version. And if they release the extended cut, I hope they redo the cgi blood they had added. It's dated and cheap looking.

BlueMarsalis79

Considering a lot of the compositing can be "patched up" by simply getting rid of the green tint, I hope that's the bare minimum we get, anything more extensive gets more expensive- much as the Alien itself ought to be excised from most of the first act entirely.

The Special Edition's changed with each release I expect it will change again with this one.

Adam802

Yes!  Cant wait!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SiL on Feb 24, 2021, 06:01:21 AM
It'll be interesting to see if he was working on it, or if he just did some 4K upscales for personal experimentation and the announcement coincided. The comments on his "This was quick!" Tweet seem to imply he wasn't working on it officially.

But let's see!

If he was working on it in an official capacity for Disney then I don't think he would have been dropping hints of it's existence - NDA and all that.

Interesting though to see that CdL follows him...

Hunter-Killer

This is cool, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to 4K and didn't really pay attention to the alien release until I found out that it had the short films with it. I DJ metal and punk rock records while playing sci-fi and horror movies on a projector, I try to stick to blu-rays, I'm curious if 4K is really going to be twice as good as Blu-ray. I tend to stick to the first two alien and predator movies, sometimes I'll throw on predators or covenant, but in this case I might actually decide to play alien three and resurrection haha

Perfect-Organism

Yeah baby yeah!

Ok but seriously, Aliens is soooo grainy.  What are they going to do to correct that?

SiL

I don't think they should. Film grain in 4K looks nice.

BlueMarsalis79

Yes and the Blu-ray already got a tasteful DNR application.

SiL

There is no such thing.

Huggs

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 25, 2021, 02:29:55 AM
Yeah baby yeah!

Ok but seriously, Aliens is soooo grainy.  What are they going to do to correct that?

Its already been done.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: SiL on Feb 25, 2021, 03:10:32 AM
There is no such thing.

I agree in all but this one case.

Huggs

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 17, 2018, 08:07:27 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 17, 2018, 09:40:26 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Mar 16, 2018, 11:17:06 PMThe only reason I'm hanging on to my Alien quadrilogy and original predator dvd's is due to the grain removal the blu-rays of Predator and Aliens went through.

I don't think Aliens had any serious grain-removal for the Blu-ray. At least, not so far as I remember reading in reviews.

Also the first Predator Blu had plenty of grain, but on the flipside, no special features. The later one that had the big DNR controversy had a bunch of bonus stuff.

Didn't Cameron say they went through and really cleared up the picture in aliens for the Blu-ray? I seem to remember him making a big deal about it. I know it wasn't bad originally, but I think he was really proud of what they did for the Blu-ray. It does looks rather good.

EDIT

Yep, he did. Just skimmed through an article over at bluray.com.

Quote: "It's spectacular. We went in and completely de-noised it, de-grained it, up-rezzed, color-corrected every frame, and it looks amazing. It looks better that it looked in the theaters originally. Because it was shot on a high-speed negative that was a new negative that didn't pan out too well and got replaced the following year. So it's pretty grainy. We got rid of all the grain. It's sharper and clearer and more beautiful than it's ever looked. And we did that to the long version, to the 'director's cut' or the extended play."

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

I'd always wished the Alien Trilogy (don't count the 4th as canon - sorry!) would get The Star Wars - Special Edition or Blade Runner Final Cut treatment with cleaned up or added special effects.

The issue with 4K remasters is the picture is "too clear" in revealing out-dated effects, unconvincing scaled models that are Thunderbirds are go! tier, weird green screen outlines, stuntmen extra bloopers.

Aliens and Alien 3 would really benefit from this. Some want lists

Aliens
- Fix the dropship sequence slightly or CGI the ship itself in some shots. The unwinged combat mode with headlights and APC dust-off landing was fine though.
- Add (practical) alien death effects to the sentry gun sequence rather than stock footage of prior scenes
- The alien queen minatures with the exception of her getting blown out the airlock

Alien 3
- While the suitmation stuff is fine sort out that damn rod puppet and overlays. Especially in the "flare throwing" tunnel running scene. Otherwise the work Charles de Lauzirika did on the Assembly Cut was amazing.

ScaryMinds

Quote from: SiL on Feb 23, 2021, 10:30:11 PMAll the films are available in Australia airway, but wouldn't say no to getting the 4k for all of them. Alien looks great streaming.

Aliens, Alien 3, Resurrection not yet available on 4k Downunder, though there was mention somewhere (forgot where) that they were coming in 2022 ... we be running out of days there.

Strangely all the Predator movies are available on 4K

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed