Lambert Freakin' Out (A few theories/character analysis)

Started by Pvt_Frost, Oct 09, 2019, 11:54:53 PM

Author
Lambert Freakin' Out (A few theories/character analysis) (Read 6,711 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 10, 2019, 12:16:48 AM
She looks like Christopher Walken there.

It could be why she's freakin' out.

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Oct 10, 2019, 12:19:09 PM
QuoteAs soon as Brett bit the dust, Lambert was inconsolable.
Lambert: "Could he be alive?"
Ripley: "What?"
Lambert: "Brett. Could it want him alive?"
Ripley: "No. I don't think so."
Lambert: *'well, shit' expression*

As SM said, not exactly inconsolable :P
The way she was dragging on her cigarette, she seemed more worried about the Alien's sudden growth spurt than the recently deceased Engineering Tech.

Lambert really started to fall apart after the Captain's disappearance.

I wonder if Lambert's look (short hair, tattoo and cowboy boots) was designed to make the character appear tougher than she really was or simply to further differentiate the two females?

Samhain13

Quote from: Elmazalman on Oct 10, 2019, 08:21:00 PM
I wonder if Lambert's look (short hair, tattoo and cowboy boots) was designed to make the character appear tougher than she really was or simply to further differentiate the two females?

Huh that's a new one.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Samhain13 on Oct 10, 2019, 08:23:22 PM
Quote from: Elmazalman on Oct 10, 2019, 08:21:00 PM

Huh that's a new one.
I was thinking perhaps a deliberate attempt at misdirection through wardrobe design for the character (the short hair, tattoo and cowboy boots, giving Lambert a certain 'attitude') . Making her appear to be the more resilient of the two women, so it would be more of a surprise when Lambert was revealed as being the much weaker personality of the two women.

SiL

SiL

Her "weaker" personality is pretty much given away in the first fifteen minutes, so it'd be a strange choice.

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Oct 10, 2019, 09:05:52 PM
Her "weaker" personality is pretty much given away in the first fifteen minutes, so it'd be a strange choice.
You mean her whining during the trip to the Derelict?

Pvt_Frost

Pvt_Frost

Quote from: Elmazalman on Oct 10, 2019, 09:32:42 PM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 10, 2019, 09:05:52 PM

I was just about to bring this up. Out of the entire crew, she was a supreme smart ass and seemed to revel in irritating others with her constant whining: 

Kane: "Stop griping!"
Lambert: "I like griping."

She seemed to be a pain in the neck to the "officer" crew in much of the same way Parker was a thorn in Ripley's side. I also pointed out that she acted like she didn't even want to be there. Of course, she died, so we had no idea what was waiting for her back on Earth (we do get a nice little backstory of sorts on her in the sequel), but we know (from the sequel) Ripley had a daughter waiting on her. I'm assuming that Ripley was a single mother (she didn't ask about her husband's whereabouts, though one can assume that even if she were married, she would already know he was a goner), and presumably was very enlivened to get back home.

Ripley complained, don't get me wrong, it was just more on the level of managing an asshole and Brett. Not because she was "cold". So yeah, I agree with SiL; Lambert's weaker personality showed pretty early on.

Maybe there was a Mr. Lambert at home for her? Who knows? I know her constant sarcasm and sniveling would have been too much for some.

She had a tattoo? I think I need to go back and watch Alien again. I haven't seen it in a while. Any particular scenes I need to watch out for to spot the tat?

Other random question: Was Lambert the only smoker on the ship? I seem to remember Kane smoking as well, but again, I need to watch the film again.

Elmazalman

If the crew manifest is to be believed, Lambert had two ex-husbands - no children.

Brett liked a smoke and Ripley (in the screen tests and ALIENS).

Pvt_Frost

Quote from: Elmazalman on Oct 10, 2019, 11:25:04 PM
If the crew manifest is to be believed, Lambert had two ex-husbands - no children.

Brett liked a smoke and Ripley (in the screen tests and ALIENS).

Oh.....she had two ex-husbands. Wow. Joan was a rolling stone. LOL. I can see why she did have two ex-husbands. She was neurotic as hell and I know if she freaked out around me, that would cause me to freak out, and I got torched by the most freaked out person ever,  i.e. Dietrich! LOL.

I know Rip smoked on the sequel, but I think that was more or less out of stress. I don't believe she ever picked up a cigarette in the original. If she did smoke, she did a good job hiding her habit in the first one. You're right, Brett did enjoy a smoke here and there.

SM

Kane smoked, Brett smoked, not sure if you see Ripley smoking on screen.  She likes a beer though.

QuoteI also pointed out that she acted like she didn't even want to be there.

None of them did, except perhaps Kane.  They're not explorers; they're tug jockies.  It's a job and not an exciting one.

QuoteShe seemed to be a pain in the neck to the "officer" crew in much of the same way Parker was a thorn in Ripley's side.

Nah Ripley was the pain in the neck, being such a stickler, while the others just wanted to do the minimum effort and go home.

Not sure of the relevance of her back story though.

QuoteOh.....she had two ex-husbands. Wow. Joan was a rolling stone. LOL. I can see why she did have two ex-husbands. She was neurotic as hell and I know if she freaked out around me, that would cause me to freak out, and I got torched by the most freaked out person ever,  i.e. Dietrich! LOL.

Or, maybe her husbands were arseholes.  Who knows.

Elmazalman

Quote from: SM on Oct 10, 2019, 11:47:41 PM
Kane smoked, Brett smoked, not sure if you see Ripley smoking on screen.  She likes a beer though.

QuoteI also pointed out that she acted like she didn't even want to be there.

None of them did, except perhaps Kane.  They're not explorers; they're tug jockies.  It's a job and not an exciting one.

QuoteShe seemed to be a pain in the neck to the "officer" crew in much of the same way Parker was a thorn in Ripley's side.

Nah Ripley was the pain in the neck, being such a stickler, while the others just wanted to do the minimum effort and go home.

Not sure of the relevance of her back story though.

QuoteOh.....she had two ex-husbands. Wow. Joan was a rolling stone. LOL. I can see why she did have two ex-husbands. She was neurotic as hell and I know if she freaked out around me, that would cause me to freak out, and I got torched by the most freaked out person ever,  i.e. Dietrich! LOL.

Or, maybe her husbands were arseholes.  Who knows.
Going by the crew manifest, perhaps Lambert was ambitious and career-minded. The two guys she married were her training / work superiors.

I think Ripley was originally supposed to be seen smoking onscreen but Ridley Scott (or someone else) thought she looked goofy holding a cigarette, so her smoking scenes were dropped.

SM

Yeah I noticed that about Lambert.  Considering her career path though, I don't think she married them for career reasons.

Pvt_Frost

Pvt_Frost

@SM

Okay...let me break it down to you even further since you didn't read between the lines the first time I made that allusion....

Yes, none of them wanted to be out there. Lambert, however, couldn't hide her contempt for being out there. She seemed like it was the worst thing ever. Like she had just earned her MBA in Finance, but yet working at McDonald's. The rest of the crew, albeit, ate up, at least tried to hide their contempt at being with people they didn't like and being on an 18 wheeler in space. Sometimes, Parker let his contempt shine through when it meant that he had an advantage over others or if he was venting to Brett (who was pretty much a brick wall anyway).

When did I ever say they were explorers? I said that most of them kept their contempt to themselves. I even said in the beginning of the post, one of my first paragraphs, that none of them got along, which is what I liked about the original movie. In Aliens, most of the crew got along, they had to, because that meant life or death.

Again, where did I say they were "explorers"?

To be real, I don't even think Kane wanted to be there. He just had the most "benevolent" personality, so to speak. He still was pretty antagonistic towards Lambert, so your point is....?

SM

SM

I mentioned 'explorers' because explorers would want to be out in space and an example of a contrast to people who didn't want to be there.

As for hiding contempt?  Again, it's not just Lambert.  Parker pushes Dallas patience.  Ripley doesn't hide her disdain at having to work with Parker and Brett on several occasions.  Parker rather childishly asks Ash to get out of his seat, then theatrically wipes it clean.

Kane wasn't antagonistic towards anyone.  One weary line to tell her to quit griping, doesn't spell antagonism; just mild irritation.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Elmazalman on Oct 10, 2019, 09:32:42 PM
And her generally unenthusiastic attitude towards everything. She never comes across as a terribly strong individual.

By contrast Parker is also unenthusiastic and unimpressed with the situation, but in a more stand-offish and aggressive manner.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed