What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 282,530 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 31, 2021, 08:44:10 PM
Now onto S by JJ Abrams and Doug Dorsch. It's a non-linear ergodic novel, similar to House of Leaves, with a lot of 'feelies' inside. It's fairly good so far.

As someone who enjoyed House of Leaves, I was wondering if there are recent books of this Matryoshka doll-like format.  8)

Edit ~

I am curious of whether this kind of literature can be adapted in the form of a TV series, because the film format does not seem to be the one.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 01, 2021, 12:10:40 AM
I am curious of whether this kind of literature can be adapted in the form of a TV series, because the film format does not seem to be the one.
I doubt it. It could maybe be done on blu ray, or possibly interactive streaming (like bandersnatch). You have so many ways of reading the book, that it's almost a choose your own adventure style. If you could do something similar with interactive subtitles and choices of scenes, then maybe, but a standard series would have no chance. You could adapt the 5 1/2 minute hallway, possibly.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Someone could probably make a decent film out of the events of The Navidson Record, but a lot of the rest of House of Leaves just wouldn't work.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Well, maybe, but I think you can simulate the experience of reading this type of book through interactive art.

Quote from: Stitch on Apr 01, 2021, 10:09:54 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 01, 2021, 12:10:40 AM
I doubt it. It could maybe be done on blu ray, or possibly interactive streaming (like bandersnatch). You have so many ways of reading the book, that it's almost a choose your own adventure style. If you could do something similar with interactive subtitles and choices of scenes, then maybe, but a standard series would have no chance. You could adapt the 5 1/2 minute hallway, possibly.

Well with lockdowns, quarantines, and all of this new normal, ergodic literature turned into interactive audiovisual arts wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Little Heaven by Nick Cutter....

.... This was my second novel of Nick Cutters that I've finished, The Troop being the first, and I'm officially sold on this author.

I really enjoy his storytelling, characters and the vivid pictures he paints with his words.

Now, this book is not The Troop, so don't go looking for it here. It does have creepy creatures and detailed gruesome accounts of what's happening but the overall feel is different and I applaud him for doing something different.

I instantly loved the interaction of our three main characters of Micah, Minerva and Eb. My only complaint would be that I wish there was more story of the three of them together. A good chunk of the book is what happens at Little Heaven, which makes sense considering it's the title of the book.

Give it a try but go in knowing it's a different tone than The Troop!

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Julie Garwood

Historical romance book series  :P

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch....

.... What a great, at times confusing, well thought out book. The only reason I wouldn't give this book a 4/5 star rating and instead a 3.5/5 would be because I had a hard time following at some points and one character....

Now I'm not saying that's the authors fault, necessarily, but when dealing with detailed environments caught in a time like vortex and the overall theme of the book being time travel, it got kind of chunked up at times.

I normally don't read detective,crime thrillers unless the story involves some kind of horror/sci-fi aspects to it and this book delivers on all fronts. It's definitely a mash up of different genres and felt the author did a great job of achieving that. Think True Detective and 12 Monkeys....

My only complaint, which could be a big one considering, would be the main character. The first half she was written very formal and once she seems to shed that aspect, I'd find her almost naive/silly at times.

I've read two books this year which I can say I definitely plan on reading again because I feel I'd appreciate them more down the road. That would be Blindsight and now, this book!

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

What really happened to Chris McCandless?  The guy held his own for four months in the wilderness, but why did he do this?

I'm looking forward to reading it  :)

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher.... 2/5

.... I feel bad for giving almost any book lower than a 3/5 rating but this was just not doing it for me. I never quit a book no matter how much I don't like it and this one really challenged me to break that rule.

It took me about 150-200 pages before I realized I didn't care for this story at all. So the last 100+ pages was a chore.

There just wasn't a story here, IMO, or maybe it would've been better as a short because I feel I got more out of the cat that's in this book than actual story.

I DID enjoy how the author writes in general, though. And I did enjoy Carrot and Simon as characters. But that's all I kind of enjoyed, unfortunately.

Huggs

Huggs

Godzilla vs Kong: the official movie novelization

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

The Traveling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon....

.... This was a great coming of age tale in the day of three teenagers that just so happen to have a traveling vampire show appear for a one night only event in their small town.

I read this 400+ page book fairly quickly and give props to the author for making it an easy read, but also engrossing.

It's told from the main character of Dwight, a 16 year old boy who constantly hangs out with his two best friends, Rusty (boy) and Slim (girl).

I really got the feel of these three and the closeness they have. Being a teenage boy in another life (ha) I was able to understand some (not all) of Dwights thinking behind some things that occur.

Ultimately you find out what's really going on with this vampire show at the end and although it might not be a surprise, I was still happy with it.

(Slim was probably the best character in the book, loved how she wasn't your typical teenage typecast kind of girl)

Ingwar

Ingwar

The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons

So far it's a bit like Simmons' answer to It, but the overall feel is different.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

14 by Peter Clines... 4/5

.... Fantastic book! I really couldn't put this book down and the author does a great job in describing the characters and setting. This is a cosmic type thriller I'd say.

I felt apart of this apartment building at times, as if I was going up to the roof and have beers with the rest of the tenants. There was one worthless character who could've done without but the character building of the others was in depth and mysterious.

It's definitely a slow moving thriller and although I wouldn't say the payoff is surprising, I would say it's worth the read and enjoyed the overall experience of what the hell is going on in this apartment building.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Apr 28, 2021, 04:52:41 PM
14 by Peter Clines... 4/5

.... Fantastic book! I really couldn't put this book down and the author does a great job in describing the characters and setting. This is a cosmic type thriller I'd say.

I felt apart of this apartment building at times, as if I was going up to the roof and have beers with the rest of the tenants. There was one worthless character who could've done without but the character building of the others was in depth and mysterious.

It's definitely a slow moving thriller and although I wouldn't say the payoff is surprising, I would say it's worth the read and enjoyed the overall experience of what the hell is going on in this apartment building.
I love this book. The ending and the sequels go a little far into the mythology and lore, but the majority of this is a great supernatural mystery.

I'm currently 1/3 through Alien Infiltrator. It's amazing how many times the word infiltrator is used in Alien Infiltrator.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed