Dark Horse Announces Predator Hunters III!

Started by Katanu, Nov 13, 2019, 06:11:03 PM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Predator Hunters III! (Read 59,815 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 08, 2020, 09:46:03 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 06, 2020, 06:33:00 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Feb 06, 2020, 06:19:59 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 06, 2020, 02:06:55 PM
Very, very good first issue!!! I'm so glad that quality hasn't dropped. The Hunters series has a real cinematic quality to it. Chris is writing film scripts here!  Good stuff!

The only thing I can't get my head around is....
Spoiler
Was Raphael always this religious? Is this new or do I have revisit Hunters (I) because my recollection is faulty?  It's not a fault of the comic if I'm remembering incorrectly, but if this heavy religious hand is new, Chris should have thrown in a team observation line like "It's crazy. Since Raphael has returned he seemed to find religion" or something of the like.

Also that unknown hot zone visitor.. I suspect it may be a certain gal from Dark River... ;D
[close]
Spoiler
Raphael is from Latin America which is predominantly Catholic due to the colonization/conquest of Spain over those lands. So him having a reflective religious moment doesn't seem out of place at all in my book.

And I think the hot zone visitor is the gal from Cold War... We shall see next month hopefully!
[close]

Yeah but
Spoiler
Raphael Herrera was a drug runner so that doesn't scream religious to me.  Now perhaps he found religion when he retired, assumingly after his family was killed, but it just struck me as a bit out a character based off the little I remember of him.  Raphael now seems to know his scriptures though and is deeply into it, but perhaps I'm reading too much into it. I'm going to re-read it again and revisit Hunters I and see if I missed some hints. Either way, I still really liked it though!

Yeah, regarding our mystery woman, hopefully we'll find out who's right next issue!  :)

[close]

I thought this as well, but Xiggz456 has a decent point. It does make me want to go back and re-read the first series anyway, just to check.

I enjoyed the first issue. It's kicking off quite nicely. Also a fan of Thies art - have been since Life and Death - though I'm still not sure on these head/mask proportions. They look soooo big.

Well Raphael did say this in Hunters I:

So thankfully there was brief foreshadowing of his religious nature. I guess it was because his character was never prominent until now, and he told a Predator to go f*ck his mother before losing an ear, that it felt out of left field to me. Happy to find this.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Really digging this first issue. Brian Thies has done some great work here. Some sweet looking panels in this, much improved over L&D I think.

Spoiler
I'm positive it's Ligachev arriving in Belize and Schaefer is the one surveilling them. But we'll see for sure next issue hopefully.
[close]

The Hunters series has given new life to the Predator only side of the EU. I love that they've brought back some old EU characters and actually put them in really great Predator stories.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 12, 2020, 12:24:20 AM
Really digging this first issue. Brian Thies has done some great work here. Some sweet looking panels in this, much improved over L&D I think.

Spoiler
I'm positive it's Ligachev arriving in Belize and Schaefer is the one surveilling them. But we'll see for sure next issue hopefully.
[close]

The Hunters series has given new life to the Predator only side of the EU. I love that they've brought back some old EU characters and actually put them in really great Predator stories.

As someone who's read (I think) every standalone Predator comic, it's never been as consistently good as it is right now.  Thank you Chris Warner.

I read issue #1 a second time, and have a couple new observations:

Spoiler
1. I don't know how I missed this "Red Square" comment, but now that I see it, uhh duh Voodoo, of course it's Ligachev from Cold War.

2. At the end of the issue, I'm not completely certain the other Predator that drags the drug runner in the water is actually killing him. Perhaps that Predator is actually saving him, saving him from being slaughtered by the other Predator we saw kill his 'friends' panels before.

Perhaps.

[close]

SuperiorIronman

I think Voodoo is right or they screwed up.

Spoiler
The Predator on the final page has a different mask to what we see only a page earlier and on some covers. So if they screwed that up the very next page that's an impressive hiccup on the artwork (if that's the case maybe it can be corrected for the trade?). However the art advertising the next issue also has this altered mask design. So either he changed it or we got a second Predator. Not even like the inconsistencies in Ahab's mask either, it's even a different color.
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Feb 12, 2020, 03:20:44 PM
I think Voodoo is right or they screwed up.

Spoiler
The Predator on the final page has a different mask to what we see only a page earlier and on some covers. So if they screwed that up the very next page that's an impressive hiccup on the artwork (if that's the case maybe it can be corrected for the trade?). However the art advertising the next issue also has this altered mask design. So either he changed it or we got a second Predator. Not even like the inconsistencies in Ahab's mask either, it's even a different color.
[close]

Nope, that's no scew-up. 

Spoiler
There are definitely two Predators in that end-scene. Here's Brian Thies' concept art for both.

The question remains... was the second Predator killing or saving. :o

[close]

JokersWarPig

first mask looks like a mix of Jungle Hunter and Hornhead and I rather like that.

Voodoo Magic

I personally just adore this mask, this look. I know, I know, it's radically different than the original great Jungle Hunter look, but I just love it. So creepy.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah that is a great panel, love that design too.

I just re-read Hunters II for the first time since the single issues came out. Its f*cking awesome, just fantastic. Even better collected as a graphic novel, it has great pacing for a 5 issue run. I remember not being super hot on the art on my first run through but man is it great. Some of the panels are just too cool.

I also noticed Jaya mentions her Russian contacts in this series too. Maybe it's a little more foreshadowing for this 3rd series.

Voodoo Magic

Indeed. So far it wonderfully feels like Warner had these backstories locked down from the get-go. There's none of that making-it-up-as-we-go-along vibes. Damn it's good, and would be a great model if Disweyland ever decides to make Predator into one of those six-episode streaming series. All this good writing just gets me even more frustrated with Black & Dekker and the missed opportunity that is The Predator. But I digress...

426Buddy

Im sick of the films trying to make their own bigger badder version of the predator. It feels like such a lame childish way to approach the property. It damages the franchise as a whole when they keep using the actual predator as just a tool to make their crappy new creature look good.

Hunters understands that there is nothing wrong with the creature itself, that when used correctly the predator is as effective as it ever has been.

JokersWarPig

I had no problem with the super predators from Predators, but yeah I agree.

The films, if we get anymore, should focus on giving each predator its own personality and hunting style as opposed to it being bigger and badder like the (not so) Upgrade.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 13, 2020, 05:51:36 PM

The films, if we get anymore, should focus on giving each predator its own personality and hunting style as opposed to it being bigger and badder like the (not so) Upgrade.

You there... you get it.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 13, 2020, 05:08:59 PM
Hunters understands that there is nothing wrong with the creature itself, that when used correctly the predator is as effective as it ever has been.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 13, 2020, 05:51:36 PM

I like Predators but I didnt really care for the suitwork and berserkers face is a good reminder of how great the regular predators is

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 15, 2020, 01:57:29 PM
I like Predators but I didnt really care for the suitwork and berserkers face is a good reminder of how great the regular predators is

Going off on a bit of a tangent here, I know it's natural for creators to often want to put their stamp on things, but it's frustrating when they keep messing with something already perfected. As seen with the City Hunter and Lost Predators... a new bio mask, color schemes and minor crown and facial cosmetic changes is all that's required. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel!

shadowedge

I haven't read this yet but what I hear is the predators are easily beaten in Predator Hunters 1-3. Is this correct or do they put up a good fight? I do know that lots of old humans come back from the original Dark Horse run.

I did read AVP Thicker Than Blood 1 and 2 and it seems like those Predators are beaten quite easily and quickly by the Xenomorph and by one of the humans/androids.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed