Started by Gates, Oct 17, 2007, 12:50:34 AM

Author
Dune Remake (Read 159,036 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Excellent news.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

I'm thrilled with this. This guy is turning out to be my favorite director it seems! Loved what he did with Bladerunner 2049, love what he did with Dune as well. I haven't read the books, but you know he did a great job when he inspired me to read them and that doesn't happen often. Even though I liked the old Dune, I wasn't that captivated by it. You can feel how much love is put into this movie! The cast was great, almost perfect, the visuals were stunning. I really like the director's style, his visual eye, this guy can do Sci Fi in an epic way.
The score was interesting, as a musician myself, I'm not a fan of Zimmer generally cause his tracks can sound very generic to me, but this had great moments. Though the folk voice going all epic was overused a bit, still not bad. The movie has captivated my imagination and I'm so happy to see something like this! I hope they make many more movies with this creative team. I'm glad it was financially stronger than Bladerunner which broke my heart that it didn't make enough money being so expensive to make, long and uncompromising in vision.

Overall, this was crazy good for my taste. Damn, I can't wait for the next one!

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Rudiger

Rudiger

Quote from: dave1978 on Oct 25, 2021, 10:34:20 AM
So can anyone who knows their Dune stuff explain why in the future they fight like medieval warfare with swords and infantry charge?  why no ray guns etc?  is it to do with the slow / fast shields thing?

Because Frank Herbert didn't want it to be too sci-fi. It's "soft" sci-fi, not "hard" sci-fi.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Perhaps Dune is the forerunner of  :laugh:

Anyway, dragons from mythology and fantasy were inspiration for the sandworms. 🐉

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 26, 2021, 10:24:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12pJNX3CmYg

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Warhammer 40k wouldn't be the same without the influence of Lynch's Dune.  Change my mind.

Kimo

Kimo

Quote from: dave1978 on Oct 25, 2021, 10:34:20 AM
So can anyone who knows their Dune stuff explain why in the future they fight like medieval warfare with swords and infantry charge?  why no ray guns etc?  is it to do with the slow / fast shields thing?

I ain't read the novels ect.. But I remember reading a few days ago and I can't remember were? That the body Shields they wear is good enough to stop fast moving objects like projectiles and Lazer beams. But the body armour shield is weak against slow-moving objects like knives daggers etc? That's why the prefer fighting with knives and spears and daggers. Anyhow don't take my word for it I'm no Dune expert by any means, it was something I read a few days ago.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

One logical criticism of the concept itself about the shields. I get the idea of the slow blade piercing the shield, but why not combine the forcefield with great futuristic body armor made of materials that's impervious to blades? Blunt heavy weapons would still do damage, but sharp stuff would be useless.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Did anyone else ever wonder why the Atreides didn't simply bring a shitload of water with them from Caladan when they relocated to Arrakis?  If nothing else, they could have offered it to the Fremen as a token of friendship.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Guild surcharges, no doubt.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

If anything, the Guild should have been all for it.  Whatever it took to ensure the spice continued to flow.

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

Has anyone seen Jodorowsky's Dune documentary?  Some people dislike and slate David Lynch's movie, which I think is great, but Jodorowsky's version of the film sounds like a psychedelic mess and I'm glad his version fell through.  There are some details about Jodorowsky's Dune script here: Clicky

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Cinema needs more psychedelic messes, to be honest.

I'm glad it fell through for different, selfish reasons - namely, that Alien (and so many other projects that would come to be in the following years) was in a sense born from its ashes - but I also have to say, I would have loved to have seen Jodorowsky's version of the film. I don't think it would have been Dune in the way that Denis' film just so perfectly "gets" the book, but it would have been something fascinating in its own right (which is a sentiment I share about Lynch's movie as well).

The documentary is a pretty great watch as well.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 28, 2021, 01:31:52 PM
I'm glad it fell through for different, selfish reasons - namely, that Alien (and so many other projects that would come to be in the following years) was in a sense born from its ashes

Speaking of which, what projects other than Alien emerged from Jodorowsky's Dune failure ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed