Possibly the best analysis of the film I've read

Started by JaaayDee, Jun 09, 2012, 07:02:48 AM

Author
Possibly the best analysis of the film I've read (Read 42,704 times)

Nichs

Quote from: Laufey on Jun 09, 2012, 11:32:29 AM
Just a quick question. I might have missed something, but why would the black goo react to the mental state of humans when they weren't even on the same planet 2000 years ago? :-\

This^

Very interesting analysis.

Parker

Nice read.  Don't know if all of that is what Ridley really intended, but a very intriguing point of view nevertheless. 

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Ninurta on Jun 11, 2012, 01:31:33 AM
Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 10, 2012, 10:26:18 PM

They have been visiting humans for some time, as shown by all that space graffiti, why would this time be any different?
There is nothing clear about this time being different. The robot vaguely says something that one character takes a certain way but there is no solid information at all about the plans for this last visit.
Given that they seem to be keeping an eye on us there is more proof that they were just going for their regular visit than anything else.

Sooo, you're saying the Engineer was just coming to pay human kind a visit, say "hi" kind of thing?

And leave more graffiti on some other rocks. 

Tribal

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 10, 2012, 10:13:55 PM

How do you know the Jocks see themselves as superior?

They create the human race, so we are their little ant farm. Come on, of course they see themselves as superior. They ARE superior!  ::)

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 10, 2012, 10:13:55 PM

How do you know the Jocks are planning genocide?

Man, did you saw the same movie than i saw?

1- The engineers create human race
2- They came back here several times to teach us
3- We became evil
4- They send another emissary to teach us one last time (Jesus, as Ridley Scott already said)
5- We kill the emissary
6- They finally give up the humanity (we are a fail experiment) and they HAVE TO kill us all

Simple like that.

ElderPredator

Quote from: Nichs on Jun 11, 2012, 02:28:24 AM
Just a quick question. I might have missed something, but why would the black goo react to the mental state of humans when they weren't even on the same planet 2000 years ago? :-\

This^

Yes this is the only thing that is bothering me too. :\
But yeah great read!

genoxeno

genoxeno

I don't know about the fluid needing to react with mental states.
Where did those Snakes come from?
Wasn't it from the worms that crawled into the black fluid?
Worms don't have mental states, but they must have been "infected", mated, and gave birth to proto-facehugger-snakes.
The growth seems plausible seeing how much the squid grew at the end of the movie.

Tribal

Quote from: ElderPredator on Jun 11, 2012, 05:32:23 AM
Quote from: Nichs on Jun 11, 2012, 02:28:24 AM

This^

Yes this is the only thing that is bothering me too. :\
But yeah great read!

Of course the engineers programed the black goo to do this. 2000 years ago they would send it to Earth to kill the human race, it's like a chemical weapon.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I saw a page about this on Worst Previews not too while ago. While I did like some things left as a mystery but it was still interesting. I guess Scott was made to ask on what happen with the film with so many people confused. I remember the same happen with Kubrick after 2001 was released.

Intrepid-Traveler

Pretty good, it has some decent theories on the black substance and why the jockeys hate us. But there are still MANY unanswered questions even within the confines of the article. Such as the massive squid trilobite at the end, the mysterious pile of dead jockey bodies, the REASON the black goo does different things to different people. Yes there was much symbolism but I feel like there are very few answers and a lot of hypothesis.

Predaker

As for the black goo, I think it was Xenomorphine who summed it up pretty good:

The black goo is a plot device. It does whatever the writers want it to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I also hear that The Engineers were pissed off at us for 2000 because we killed Jesus? To me, that sounds really stupid. I always imagine that The Engineers wanted humans dead because we crated war and crime which is something that they didn't had in mind.

Rich Green Acid Blood

I don't think it could have been broken down any better. Well done, sir.

Stringer2355

They should have called this movie "Pretentious"

TREVER

... Also noticed that the Engineer in the film's intro who sacrifices himself in order to create life is also dressed in nothing but robes, similar to the "Jesus" idea. The vessel was also more "flying saucer" style, which is a common report in history on earth. So0o perhaps the vessels and Engineers on this particular planet were truly the soldiers of the race, unlike the intro's Engineer? Kind of like the death/life theory? WHat y'all think?

Space Sweeper

Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 10, 2012, 09:54:49 PM
Lindelof acknowledges this analysis:
https://twitter.com/DamonLindelof/status/211858028243333121
Nice!

Sharp Sticks had liked me to this last night, and I thought it was brilliant. Considered posting the link to it, but I knew it would be found anyway. Hopefully people embrace these ideas, because they're all there.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed