What David Says to the Engineer

Started by ikarop, Jun 20, 2012, 10:01:40 PM

Author
What David Says to the Engineer (Read 29,112 times)

ikarop

ikarop

http://thebioscopist.com/2012/06/20/the-linguistics-of-prometheus-what-david-says-to-the-engineer/

Quoteida hmanəm aɪ kja namṛtuh zdℇ:taha ... ghʷɪvah-pjorn-ɪttham sas da:tṛ kredah

Spoiler
"This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life."
[close]

QuoteSo basically David just asked what his master, Peter Weyland, requested. As the good doctor pointed out, there is a longer sequence which Ridley Scott filmed, but ultimately cut.

"We're all going to have to wait for the Director's cut to see if the conversation between the Engineer and David – and there was indeed originally a conversation, not merely an utterance from David – yields any fruit".- Dr. Anil Biltoo

Nightmare Asylum

So he really did say what Weyland wanted him to. Interesting, I wonder if he expected the Engineers reaction? He did, after all, want "his father" dead, and that does seem like a statement that would get on the Engineers nerves.

souNdwAve89

Dang, there goes the mystery, but I don't mind. I thought it was a nice touch to not add subtitles for the theatrical cut.

Aceburster

I knew some random professor who knows a dead language would translate this. It also confirms that Space Jam is just a jerk.

Prime113

Prime113

A whole conversation?! Damnit! Why did they cut that out.

Thanks for that, Ikarop.  :)

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 20, 2012, 10:04:14 PM
So he really did say what Weyland wanted him to. Interesting, I wonder if he expected the Engineers reaction? He did, after all, want "his father" dead, and that does seem like a statement that would get on the Engineers nerves.

Did he really want Weyland dead? I forgot...i know that he mentions everyone wanting their parents dead, but he also says want isn't a concept he's familiar with.

DaddyYautja

Wow... he didnt even say hello, what's going on?
Just demanding stuff from the start?
Anyway, i guess he really was following all Weyland orders?

Prime113

Prime113

Maybe the hello is part of the full conversation...?

Kev Loaf

Kev Loaf

why cut a whole conversation. meeting the engineer was the most important part of the film why cut that scene over some of the crappy one that were left in :/

MrSpaceJockey

We wouldn't have understood it anyway...

Prime113

Prime113

That would've been the best part, Mr.SJ.

Kev Loaf

Kev Loaf

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jun 20, 2012, 10:23:11 PM
We wouldn't have understood it anyway...

lol, true but Im sure if there was a whole conversation filmed they were planning on subtitles or at least something that gave a hint as to what they were talking about.

now im glad since I felt the engineer flipping out was so random, hopefully we find out what ever pissed him off.

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: ikarop on Jun 20, 2012, 10:01:40 PM

"This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life."

[/quote]

And the Engineer gave it to him. Right across his face.

David should have been more specific.  :P

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I would have spoiler-tagged the line for those who didn't want the mystery spoiled, but it's still a really cool article. Thanks for sharing. :)

Also didn't the Engineer talk (briefly) in that scene, too? I wonder what he said.

Aceburster

Aceburster

Nah he just stared for a second, put his hand on Davids head and then commenced with the Slam Jam.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed