Last TV Show You Watched

Started by Predator Queen, Mar 29, 2011, 04:30:51 AM

Author
Last TV Show You Watched (Read 481,971 times)

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Stitch on May 03, 2022, 12:37:42 AMCurrently watching Another Life. I did the first half of season 1 yesterday, and I'm doing the second half tonight. It's pretty good. Feels more varied than a lot of other space sci-fi.

Ok Stitch. I think you may have finally convinced me to watch this one - in the past I wasn't sure if it was worth it. Need some good sci-fi since the Expanse finished.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Prez on May 03, 2022, 01:32:16 AM
Quote from: Stitch on May 03, 2022, 12:37:42 AMCurrently watching Another Life. I did the first half of season 1 yesterday, and I'm doing the second half tonight. It's pretty good. Feels more varied than a lot of other space sci-fi.

Ok Stitch. I think you may have finally convinced me to watch this one - in the past I wasn't sure if it was worth it. Need some good sci-fi since the Expanse finished.
Yeah, it's pretty good. Not quite as political and hard sci-fi as The Expanse (although I don't think it's quite as good). It is fun, though, and after watching the rest of the first season, I don't think there was an episode I didn't like.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Stitch on May 03, 2022, 02:53:53 AM
Quote from: Prez on May 03, 2022, 01:32:16 AM

Yeah, it's pretty good. Not quite as political and hard sci-fi as The Expanse (although I don't think it's quite as good). It is fun, though, and after watching the rest of the first season, I don't think there was an episode I didn't like.

Awesome. I'll add it to the watch list!!!

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Prez on May 02, 2022, 11:22:58 PMOpen Range episodes 1-6. Yellowstone meets Twin Peaks. I'm digging it.

As soon as I read Twin Peaks I started watching this show. Not bad, even though it's called Outer Range  ;D

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 03, 2022, 01:54:17 PM
Quote from: Prez on May 02, 2022, 11:22:58 PMOpen Range episodes 1-6. Yellowstone meets Twin Peaks. I'm digging it.

As soon as I read Twin Peaks I started watching this show. Not bad, even though it's called Outer Range  ;D

HAHA. Yes. Oh dear.  ;D  ;D

Kradan

Kradan

"Columbo Likes The Nightlife" (2003)

Spoiler
This might sound controversial to some but I think this is nearly perfect way to conclude the series. It has such a beatiful sense of melancholy, it briliantly captures just how much time has passed, how much things have changed. Columbo's most known for his 70s adventures - back when everything was so hopeful and bright. Sure, people got murdered from time to time but it seemed more like an exception to the rule than the rule itself, something that disturbes the normal order of things. And murderers themselves - there's always a sense of class to them, they didn't want to get their hands dirty, they'd rather hit their victim with a stone to the head or use a gun with silencer than strangle or cut their bellies open with a knife. Murderers dressed nice, drove nice cars and lived in nice houses

Things are much different at the beginning of XXI century though. It seems like every other person is a drug addict. Everything is ugly and drowns in the darkness. Setting of a nightclub itself is a stark contrast to the feel of "classical" Columbo. Owner of the club and the murderer in this particular case, Justin Price, seems like a nice enough fellow but there's almost no class to him. There's no grace to his actions- he just strangles his victim with his own bare hands screaming like a caveman. And then victim fells out of the window and gets lynched by his own radiator. Pretty gruesome way to go if you ask me. Also, the victim itself, unlike most of them from the "classic" era, has no likability at all, he spies on celebrities to find out their dirty laundry, blackmails his used-to-be partner, not very galant with women and just looks like a despicable person all around- so much so that I actually begin to symphatise with Justin for killing that bastard. I actually quite like Justin - yes he killed one man and covered up the murder of another but he's a pleasent person otherwise and he's quite dedicated to do everything in his power to make his nightclub the best one in town. His devotion to the thing he loves most actually reminds me of Adrian Carsini - my favourite Columbo murderer, brilliantly played by late Donald Pleasence

Columbo himself seems like a relic of an old era, he just doesn't fit in that world of computers and pagers. He still gets around fine though and is respected by the younger generation of cops. Columbo from revival era seems gets accused of doing too much goofy of straight-up stupid shit. I don't really see that here. Falk gives a great performance as a cool, level-headed Columbo that is not overly dramatic - he just goes around asking questions, collecting info and slowly tightening that net around Justin and his fiance. I like cat-and-mouse dynamic he has with Justin, the latter one starts as pretty friendly and open towards detective, slowly gets annoyed with him which culminates in his outrage when Columbo spoils his big opening night. That old grey-haired man seems like a genuine threat to his suspects which is conveyed by their performances - Mathew Rhys and Jennifer Sky do a great job playing the murdererous couple. The fact that Columbo actually gets some help from a mafia messenger just once again shows how twisted this world got. Final gotcha with a slow reveal of a dead body laying in a water tank in infra-red is great IMO and it's interesting seeing Columbo take some advantage of modern technology. Then Columbo just goes away - without any big fanfare or "This Old Man" playing in the background. But even that moment is somewhat soured when you remember that mafia is after Justin and Vanessa and they probably will get executed long before they get to the courtroom - Columbo's essentially doomed them

Just one more thing - I really dig the soundtrack of the episode and how it incorporates nightclub's tunes into the episode's overall dark and somewhat depressing atmosphere
[close]

Stitch

Stitch

Just watched the last episode of Another Life.

I really enjoyed it. Enough to watch the entire series in 5 days...

Reviews of the series are bad, and it recently was revealed that there will be no season 3, but I thought it was great. I'd hazard a guess that people were expecting something different than what the series was actually presenting. It's got an overarching storyline, but a lot of the episodes feel like different styles within the same genre. It's refreshing, sometimes goofy, and overall fun, though with a serious side that takes over when the main storyline kicks in.

I think the season ending works as a series ending, and it left it in a good position where they could have continued it, but it doesn't feel like its necessary. There are only 20 episodes, so if you want something relatively bite size to tide you over after The Expanse, I'd give it a shot.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Euphoria season 1 & 2

That was amazing and best coming-of-age drama since Skins UK 8)

Outer Range season 1, episodes 6 & 7

It was quite good imo

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Getting started on Midnight Mass.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 09, 2022, 02:58:15 AMGetting started on Midnight Mass.

Fantastic show!

Prez

Prez

Moonknight season (or series?) finale. I see a lot of criticism for this show but I liked it a lot. I'm not the biggest Marvel fan as I found them quite cookie cutter after a while (still enjoyable mind) but I think Oscar Isaac's performance really got me hooked. Different and not what I was expecting.

Halo - Sidetracked again but Kwan's story arc is proving an interesting one and I'm interested where it leads.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Midnight Mass

Overall this was pretty great, a couple of nearly heavy-handed moments near the end aside.

Spoiler
And it's kind of hilariously on the nose that Pruitt's life changing encounter with the "Angel" took place quite literally on the road to Damascus.
[close]

Prez

Prez

Finished Open Range. Quirky, slow burn but enjoyable.

Started Meltdown: 3 Mile Island - scary viewing.

Penteverate ep1-3 ... if you love Austin Powers humour you'll probably enjoy this. Dumb, silly and very crude. Hit and miss (the hits are quite funny mind).

Strange New Worlds ep1-2 ... now this is more like it. Totally had it with the BS of Discovery. Mount is a great lead and I'm enjoying the episodal nature of this show too. That said funny how the 1979 TPM Enterprise ship still looks better than this (impressive) version (colours are wrong, too steely looking ... should be more creamy) HAHAHA.

Halo - far more character exposition and story than I thought. The (rare) action was very good though.

Wysps

Wysps

Still working on Lost, and Season 5 of the original The Twilight Zone.  Definitely my least favorite season. 

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 18, 2022, 10:38:02 PMMidnight Mass

Overall this was pretty great, a couple of nearly heavy-handed moments near the end aside.

Spoiler
And it's kind of hilariously on the nose that Pruitt's life changing encounter with the "Angel" took place quite literally on the road to Damascus.
[close]

Do you think it was better than his other horror tv shows?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed