Vulhala

Vulhala

Awgustas

Awgustas

LOL

SM

bobcunk

bobcunk

its a higher quality dvd and you need a different player. dvds dont look as good as the tvs get bigger.

SM

SM

Mind do.  I've just finished watching the the LOTR flicks on a 60" plasma and it's better than it ever was.  Same with Alien.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SM on Mar 24, 2009, 11:17:05 PM
Mind do.  I've just finished watching the the LOTR flicks on a 60" plasma and it's better than it ever was.  Same with Alien.
Then watch LOTR on blu-ray on the same monitor and you see what he was talking about.

I have a Full HD beamer and i use a size of about 130" and sometimes its painfull to watch a standard DVD because you see every little flaw and the image looks very soft, especially with older movies.
Blu ray on the other hand looks great even if i scale the image up even more, old movie or not.. Its clean and sharp. So the "Blu-ray was developed because the screens get bigger" statement seems like a fair enough explanation.

Cellien

Cellien

Quote from: SM on Mar 24, 2009, 11:17:05 PM

You may have a decent upscaling player or built in scaler on your TV (or both), but generally DVDs look worse as the screen size goes up.  Either that or your comparing TV was crap!  :)  DVD looks alright with all the new upscaling tech, but compared to Blu-Ray it's pixely, muddy, crushed (blacks), and fuzzy.

SM

SM

I've no doubt BR looks better, I'm just saying our DVDs look extraordinarily good on a big telly with an 8 year old DVD player.

QuoteThen watch LOTR on blu-ray on the same monitor and you see what he was talking about.

No I won't.  We were talking about DVDs on big TVs.  Not BR disks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed