Alien Isolation vs Aliens 1986?

Started by Berend, Feb 26, 2017, 05:34:50 PM

Author
Alien Isolation vs Aliens 1986? (Read 1,954 times)

Berend

Berend

Which in your opinion is the superior sequel/successor to Ridley Scott's 1979 classic? 

Which is of the two stories/settings do you prefer?

Which representation of the alien as the title's antagonist do you think is done best?

What themes and underlying messages from the original 1979 do you think has received a better follow up its two sequels./

blood.

blood.

Aliens easily.

The mother/daughter story alone is better then anything in isolation. Also, Ellen confronting her fears and returning to LV426 was better then Amanda going to Sevastopol to find closure which she never really got because she never was able to find her mother.

windebieste

They're both valid as sequels.  They just fit into different time frames and embrace different characters. 

I disagree that Amanda failed to find closure.  She finds out that the Nostromo had the Alien on board.  Ripley makes it clear to her daughter how shit went down in the recording Amanda finds aboard the Anesidora.  It's all tied up at that point why Ellen Ripley never returned.

In this regard, 'ALIEN: Isolation' is as much about Mother/Daughter relationship as 'ALIENS' is.  More so, actually.  It's not just a theme - it's the major driving force and motivation behind Amanda going to the Sevastopol in the first place.

Anyway, they're both good sequels and should be treated on equal footing as they are both valid experiences for the characters and the viewer/player. 

The fact they are both presented in different media also makes them difficult to compare.  I don't think a movie and a video game are comparable on the technical level and experiences they deliver.  They exist in their own right with respect to one another.  We should be grateful for that.

Unlike the shitty experience of 'A:CM'.   The less said about that thing, the better.

-Windebieste.

Scorpio

Scorpio

As a sequel to Alien, Alien Isolation works better.  Being Alien is existential space horror while Aliens is an action movie.  Alien Isolation also expands on Alien in an interesting way, giving it greater scope (being set on a space station rather than a ship).  They could pull this off in 1982, as Outland came out the year before and was basically Alien Isolation without the alien.  But no, I'm glad history turned out the way it did, but I consider Alien Isolation to be the true sequel to Alien.

Russ840

Russ840

I like it a great deal and it's a worthy alternate sequel. Do you know what I have always wondered. How does the Nostromo flight recorder have Ripley's final transmission and message to Amanda when the Nostromo has blown up and Ripley was well away when she recorded it on the Narcissus? Have I missed something  ?

Ironb4lls

Ironb4lls

>>How does the Nostromo flight recorder have Ripley's final transmission and message to Amanda when the Nostromo has blown up and Ripley was well away when she recorded it on the Narcissus?<<

When Amanda opens the message, there's a loading screen that says, "Transmission received. Origin: Narcissus," followed by "remote message committed." So the black box is able to record messages regardless of its location.

Valaquen

Valaquen

I see Isolation as a supplement to Alien. Aliens did enough to honour Alien but was its own unique thing.

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: Ironb4lls on Mar 03, 2017, 03:21:10 PM
>>How does the Nostromo flight recorder have Ripley's final transmission and message to Amanda when the Nostromo has blown up and Ripley was well away when she recorded it on the Narcissus?<<

When Amanda opens the message, there's a loading screen that says, "Transmission received. Origin: Narcissus," followed by "remote message committed." So the black box is able to record messages regardless of its location.

I forgot that. At least it was addressed. One thing I love about isolation is that it fits in seamlessly into the continuity. I thought I had found a flaw but you just made it more solid for me.

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 03, 2017, 04:01:42 PM
I see Isolation as a supplement to Alien. Aliens did enough to honour Alien but was its own unique thing.
My feelings exactly. I also like how we see eggs etc and a lair of sorts, but the queen reveal is kept for the 'sequel' in Aliens.

SM

SM

Isolation is very worthy, but Aliens is the sequel.

Vermillion

Vermillion

Quote from: SM on Mar 06, 2017, 12:27:10 AM
Isolation is very worthy, but Aliens is the sequel.

^this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PsyKore

PsyKore

I tend to look at Isolation as a "what if" scenario or a side story. Aliens is far superior IMO.

Kimo

Kimo

Aliens is the sequel of choice. However I can see Isolation being its own standalone movie if it was ever made in to film. Abit like how Rogue One was to Star Wars.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed