Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,433 times)

The_Nostromo_Files

Long-time franchise fan, first-time reader of the comics/novels of years ago, so this thread taught me things to factor into that adventure (thanks for that AvPGalaxy).

Twice, I've had artwork of mine show up in licensed products and am thankful for friends who'll point that out. I have no idea if it was nabbed from my site or some clipped version posted to Pinterest, to be honest. But I don't draw for a living, so the livelihood stakes are not as high for me as for the pros; but it is irksome nonetheless.

After recently seeing over 2,000 site hits in a single day, I wonder what other things of mine might show up somewhere in print (God help 'em if they're that desperate!).

I pulled the trigger on this Marvel marvel and have subscribed. I'll enjoy getting in on the ground floor and following the journey..

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 25, 2021, 11:50:08 PM
Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2021, 11:18:23 PM
I think publicly shitting on one of his colourists and making sure everyone knew she was a woman might qualify?

Certainly not a good look. Frankly he's lucky he has a good colorist for this Alien comic.

Also has straight up stolen from DeviantArt. I like how they call it a "mistake."

https://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-error-deviant-art-canon-mistake/

As Voodoo said, I've been going down a rabbit hole lately, and yes, it is possible that this happened more under Dark Horse than we realized...

This was from a comic we really praised the art of as well.

I don't think all the criticism should be levied at the artists though, this is a big problem with the industry itself, crushing deadlines and all that.

But some artists like Land and Larroca seem particularly blatant about it, and that should also be called out.

How haven't I noticed it ? I'm the biggest fan of that movie ! I mean, I saw right away that it's The Predator ship interior but didn't thought it was traced from any particular shot in the movie

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 26, 2021, 05:33:17 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 25, 2021, 11:38:46 PM
Just for clarification I didn't mean to slight you Ridgetop with that comment. I just noticed you're not big on seeing the prequel stuff make its way into the rest of the series so I assumed incorrectly that's why it stood out to you. No malice or hostility meant with that comment, and saying "hate" was just hyperbole

Thanks for the clarification. No harm, no foul.

You kinda had it coming since that Covenant 3-hour review episode where you put it below Requiem  :D

Voodoo Magic

Well that's only because Requiem is an under appreciated classic!

Local Trouble

What about the gore?  A lot of people were worried that Marvel would sanitize it.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 26, 2021, 09:12:51 PM
What about the gore?  A lot of people were worried that Marvel would sanitize it.

Spoiler
Pretty significantly bloody shotgun blast to the head stood out, not much else.
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 26, 2021, 09:39:41 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 26, 2021, 09:12:51 PM

Spoiler
Pretty significantly bloody shotgun blast to the head stood out, not much else.
[close]

A pic:
Spoiler
[close]

Huggs

That'll clear the boogers out.

Kimarhi

.....is that a double barrel pump action shotgun?

Huggs

Huggs

Looks like a semi auto with an extension for the mag tube underneath.

It's not 2 barrels, as the top tube is visibly longer than the bottom. Even the ejected shells are two different lengths and sizes. Like some kind of 10 gauge mini shell and a 12 gauge birdshot.

I'd say chock it up to artistic license.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 26, 2021, 11:01:58 PM

SPAS-12 semi auto. Odd to see a contemporary weapon like that 180 years in the future. Would much prefer seeing new or established weapon designs.

Huggs

That poor cat though.

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 26, 2021, 11:32:15 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 26, 2021, 11:01:58 PM

SPAS-12 semi auto. Odd to see a contemporary weapon like that 180 years in the future. Would much prefer seeing new or established weapon designs.

Covenant did the same thing, unfortunately.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 26, 2021, 11:38:04 PM
Covenant did the same thing, unfortunately.

Yes they were AUGs, we complained about that too, but at least they made them look a little distinct.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 26, 2021, 11:12:43 PM
Looks like a semi auto with an extension for the mag tube underneath.

It's not 2 barrels, as the top tube is visibly longer than the bottom. Even the ejected shells are two different lengths and sizes. Like some kind of 10 gauge mini shell and a 12 gauge birdshot.

I'd say chock it up to artistic license.

I was just thinking the dude had to be pretty quick on the pump to drop two shells like that, especially if he wasnt going to target anything else but the noggin.

Engineer

The art is horrendous!
Larocca should be taken off this series!
(And Greg Land never be allowed to touch it again too)

No matter how good the story is, the art is going to drag it down! That's 50% of the experience right there!

That being said, the story was... unremarkable.

The only positive I saw in this first issue was that marvel didn't water down the violence, which I never thought they'd do in the first place.

I really hope they turn this around, put a better and more reputable artist on the series and that the story picks up in all the right ways.

(I miss Tristan Jones)

BlueMarsalis79

Yep I'll always argue art's more than half the medium.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed