Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,351 times)

juxtapose

To be fair...Prometheus did not have nearly as much competition...Covenant was dropped into a sea of other major releases...plus covenant had a significantly bigger age restriction,...where as Prometheus was sold as a sci-fi...covenant was more of a horror flick...add to that no 3D and how lately it seems that only either Superhero or Disney and Dreamworks animations count...if Prom was released now in this current climate it would not have made 402 mil...no way...we must also bear in mind that maybe the new generation of audiences are not even familiar with the original movies...let alone care about them..sad state of affairs...us fans might be a dying breed....i hope not..

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 12, 2017, 10:09:23 PM
One publication said that Covenant needs up to $450m to break even. I wonder what the minimum it needs is.

Which publication is this?

900SL

I would have thought $320M would be getting close to breaking even. Working on a 50% o/all return to the Studio on a production marketing & distribution cost of $160M

juxtapose

320 mil...is still a very distant number...lets hope it gets their....that number will almost certainly ensure a sequel..

Protozoid

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 13, 2017, 05:07:28 PM
Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 12, 2017, 10:09:23 PM
One publication said that Covenant needs up to $450m to break even. I wonder what the minimum it needs is.

Which publication is this?
https://www.moviefone.com/2017/05/22/alien-covenant-box-office-disappointment/

ripley161

I am going to be so Dissapointed if we don't get a sequel !

juxtapose

Quote from: ripley161 on Jun 13, 2017, 07:19:24 PM
I am going to be so Dissapointed if we don't get a sequel !
dude you have no idea,not getting a sequel to this will drive me nuts...dreams and nightmares made prometheus come alive...hm,m...hello covenant:

Robopadna

Quote from: Stolen on Jun 13, 2017, 05:50:51 AM
No way.
$ 250M would be enough to make it a success!

The Fox wouldn't lose money with this BO:
-> 75M$ Domestic
-> 120M$ Foreign
-> 40M$ China

You don't have to take into account the promo budget, this one is refunded by the extras (domestic and foreign home Entertainment, domestic vod, domestic pay tv, domestic network tv, foreign pay tv) 
Home Entertainment +/- 100M$
Pay TV (Vod+Network) +/- 150M$
And the Alien franchise is a huge business, so a significant merchandise revenue. And relaunch all sales of previous episodes!

Ok this is entirely wrong.

I feel like people are retreading the same incorrect information time and time again. Those numbers you are putting down are absolutely wild guesses that don't have much basis in the reality of covenant.

Alien merchandise in absolutely not a big deal in terms of revenue. Hardly any franchise merchandise is outside of children's movies Star Wars and comics.  Aliens isn't even a blip on the merchandise radar. It's a hard r series it virtually can't have a merch presence.

It does have ways to make money. But it won't be profitable from the box office. Probably a ways off considering it's absolute flop in the domestic market.

Overall it may pull even. But fox isn't investing hundreds of millions to just about pull even (and lose money when discussing inflation).

SM

SM

The basic formula used to be budget X 3 for a sequel to be considered.  I don't know how true it was then or now, but $300m would be the target for Covenant.

The $450m figure doesn't have any data to back it up, and there's a tonne of different factors involved - particularly if you consider major parts of the marketing - Last Supper, The Crossing, etc - would have been shot during principal photography and wouldn't have required additional marketing budget to produce.  And that's before you involve Hollywood accounting.

Stolen

@robopadna
You're right, Covenant is a domestic and overall failure because it's half the amount of Prometheus! But with a budget of $100M, and if it works properly in China and Japan ($ 30M and $ 10M) Fox won't lose money. Still big dissapointing, but not a flop.

We must stop thinking that the promotional budget is refunded at the box office, it is absolutely false. The promo budget is always based on how much the movie will return in sales outside the BO, which are huge enough for blockbuster.

Broadcast TV rights (domestic and foreign) are generally very juicy for studios, between $100M and $200M for a blockbuster. And we can't neglect the home entertainment, the franchise Alien has always had an added value in this sector.

And the merchandising for the Alien franchise is obviously less important than others like Star Wars or Marvel.
Yet the license sells very well, and the adult public always responds commercially to new products.

SM

SM

How well does it sell?

Corporal Hicks

I'm always curious about those figures but don't think it's ever really talked about. I'd love to know how well the novels and the Audibles do. Seems to sell well enough to warrant more being made on a pretty regular basis.

SiL

SiL

The only time I think they ever gave any indication of how well merchandise went was Dark Horse's first AvP, which was the best-selling independent comic of all time when it was released.

Protozoid

Quote from: SiL on Jun 14, 2017, 07:34:45 AM
The only time I think they ever gave any indication of how well merchandise went was Dark Horse's first AvP, which was the best-selling independent comic of all time when it was released.
Whoa! Suddenly, the existence of the AvP movies makes some sense to me.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Jun 14, 2017, 07:34:45 AM

I think they still report comic sales.

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 14, 2017, 07:38:57 AM
Whoa! Suddenly, the existence of the AvP movies makes some sense to me.

There was a good decade or so between the two events though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed