Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 176,603 times)

Huggs

I have a nagging feeling that Disney will have little to zero interest in either Predator or Alien. So I'm preparing for the end of both, just to be safe. That the recent films have all sucked helps somewhat.

SiL

Nobody sets out to make a bad movie. Almost every terrible film you've seen was made with the sincere belief that what they were making was good. Not necessarily great or brilliant -- but at least good. Nobody's out there trying to showcase their incompetence.

Ridley Scott didn't go into Covenant thinking "I'm going to make such a lame f**king movie, just you wait." He told a story he wanted to tell as a filmmaker. It didn't resonate well with some audience -- but that doesn't mean he was trying to make a bad film or only thinking abut the money.

As for the formula comment, the entire MCU kind of shows that, no, screwing around isn't the regular course for companies trying to see if there's more money to be made. Rigidly adhering to a data-driven formula seems to be the preferred MO for film corporations at the moment. The number of risk-taking films is decreasing as the need to return higher profits increases.

SM

With something like Marvel though, every film makes such a stupid amount of money that it does free them up to do comedies like Guardians or Ragnarok and it won't really matter if they tank.  They're still obviously formulaic so it's not a terribly big risk, but very different in terms of tone.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Feb 08, 2019, 02:26:45 AM
With something like Marvel though, every film makes such a stupid amount of money that it does free them up to do comedies like Guardians or Ragnarok and it won't really matter if they tank.  They're still obviously formulaic so it's not a terribly big risk, but very different in terms of tone.

And then Marvel is vindicated when they're financial and critical successes.  More so than even their "safe" efforts like Iron Man 2 and Thor: The Dark World.

Huggs

Oh God, I'd forgotten all about Thor 2.

Did that really happen?

newagescamartist

Marvel movies are completely different. They appeal to the lowest common denominator, or rather a much broader audience. I say that as someone who likes a few Marvel movies. Alien/Predator are niche franchises. We have like 5 different sub-bases just in this fanbase. It's going to be almost impossible to please everyone even if the movie is a masterpiece. That's why some people love Covenant ( myself included ) and others hate it. They could literally make a movie as awesome as Alien/Aliens and this fanbase would still be unhappy. Marvel doesn't have that problem. In fact, I see people overrating average Marvel movies. Black Panther is a best picture nominee? Give me a break. Alien 3 was a better film and that still gets pissed on by our fanbase.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Feb 08, 2019, 02:26:45 AM
Yeah, Marvel does research - which is something DC should have learned from. They test a bunch of stuff, see what sticks, then adapt their formula. GotG was a hit, so they start making more movies like that - Ragnarok, Spider-Man, etc. Particularly bland entries like Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 get learned from as well.

Necronomicon II

Covenant is too weird to be mediocre, the homoeroticism between androids is refreshing as hell. But comparing pretty much anything to 2049 is unfair lol, what a monolithic masterwork that is. I'd kill for a Villeneuve Alien film.

Perfect-Organism

I love BR 2049.  I weep for a society that did not embrace this masterpiece.   :'(  Bunch of zero attention-span, self-absorbed douchebags.

newagescamartist

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Feb 08, 2019, 03:49:06 AM
Covenant is too weird to be mediocre, the homoeroticism between androids is refreshing as hell. But comparing pretty much anything to 2049 is unfair lol, what a monolithic masterwork that is. I'd kill for a Villeneuve Alien film.

Um, yes please!

SiL

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 08, 2019, 03:53:15 AM
Bunch of zero attention-span, self-absorbed douchebags.
Yes, that's the only possible reason people could have for not liking or caring about a film. ::)

Huggs

I love BR 2049.  I weep for a society that did not embrace this masterpiece.   :'(  Bunch of zero attention-span, self-absorbed douchebags.

All the technology and money to create literally anything, and we get movies like Fallen Kingdom and the Meg. It just breaks the heart.

Necronomicon II

I'm still in awe of 2049, saw it thrice at IMAX, twice at regular cinemas. Breath taking.

Voodoo Magic

I'm in awe that you used the word thrice!

newagescamartist

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 08, 2019, 04:24:26 AM

All the technology and money to create literally anything, and we get movies like Fallen Kingdom and the Meg. It just breaks the heart.

Fallen Kingdom needed like 3 more script revisions. They spend over $100 mil on the fx and cheap out on the script. Sounds a lot like the lesson the first Jurassic Park was trying to teach.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed