New Film Project...

Started by Xenomorphine, Jan 18, 2013, 09:24:06 AM

Author
New Film Project... (Read 34,492 times)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Iray render results!

Was previously using a rendering engine known as 3Delight and both of them have pros and cons. Iray, however, models light in a more realistic way and it actually allowed me to gain extra details on the two Alien models I had been using. It's probably complicated for those who are not familiar with this stuff, but basically, there is a way to instruct it to turn 'painted on' textures into modelled surface detail.

These are all experimental renders (two different Aliens, one Predator). All used the same lighting. Iray is a very new and different technique and essentially affords more photo-realism, but disallows control over stuff like shadows (including whether they even exist). Still debating whether or not to use Iray, because it requires a lot more time-consuming effort to modify every single surface on stuff like props, clothing, vehicles and environments. On the other hand, it does allow any individual surface to be turned into a beautifully realistic light source, which is hugely advantageous.

So, compare these with, say, the cybernetic character concepts, for an estimation of the differences between them.

Spoiler
Swidhelm's free Alien model (the one used in Alex Popov's 'Redemption' fan-film) - the eye sockets are visible, but it's a translucent cowl:

http://sentinalysis.deviantart.com/art/Iray-Alien-Example-Swidhelm-557050513

The more recent Alien model, which I had posted some other examples of (seems to be more reflective, but that could be modified) - tail's properly skeletal now:

http://sentinalysis.deviantart.com/art/Iray-Alien-Example-Fo-Render-557052160

The new Predator character model (might change the glossy reflectivity on the mask with that):

http://sentinalysis.deviantart.com/art/Iray-Predator-Example-Fo-Render-557052627
[close]

Some of these look a little grainier than expected, but that could be altered for the next experimental tests, using the render settings.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Made some modifications to values in surface settings, in an effort to eliminate some of the grainy quality of the examples from above.

Spoiler

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Rendering with the sort of lighting I'll be using for the project. This is what using the Iray rendering engine can achieve.

Was fortunate enough to obtain a ground vehicle which feels like it could belong to the continuity. Looks similar to the one the Jordans had used. A human figure is there for a size comparison.

Click to enlarge picture (or visit the link).

Spoiler

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's perfect! Fits right into the franchise!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Those wheel struts can actually elevate or descend, which makes for some useful suspension options.

Think I've mostly cracked the 'Alien Isolation'-style lighting vibe I've been aiming for, with this. :) It's taken a lot of trial and error, but finally getting some traction!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Do you have any more teases for us?

immortal

immortal

This is looking really good, just looked at the last few pages of posts (being new to the forum). Can't wait to see some more!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 04, 2015, 08:09:19 AM
Do you have any more teases for us?

I'm still deciding on the right shaders (surface material pre-sets) to use for more famous hardware, like APC, dropship, etcetera. I'll be doing some tests of those soon. If the classic stuff can look right, then anything can!

Still seeing if the last tests of Aliens/Predators, up above, can have the surface detail improved or not... Then there's some animation testing to complete and post, too.

Quote from: immortal on Nov 04, 2015, 10:22:54 AM
This is looking really good, just looked at the last few pages of posts (being new to the forum). Can't wait to see some more!

Welcome to the site! This project was, uh... Supposed to have been finished a long while ago, but technology progressed and made everything more awesome. :)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Experimenting with 'geoshells', today!

Geoshells are the ability to wrap a thin shell around a model, which conforms to the geometry and will replicate any posing. You can then tell them to act like a certain type of material.

It occurred to me that doing this to an Alien model and treating the geoshell like a thin layer of water, means the creature can have that thin oily sheen they're so well known for... Before this, I was trying to modify the creature's own textures to reflect any surrounding light in a way it wasn't designed to do. This lets me divide those tasks and effectively give the creature a second 'skin', which can purely be modified to give them that slick resin they secrete.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Sounds like a really handy way of accomplishing that. I look forward to seeing the results.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Just spent the last few hours rendering a comparison (click each to enlarge):

Spoiler

http://sentinalysis.deviantart.com/art/Alien-Iray-Render-Without-Geoshell-571261630

http://sentinalysis.deviantart.com/art/Alien-Iray-Render-With-Geoshell-571262037

Not perfect, but it does seem like an improvement. For some reason, the attempt of reproducing wetness over the Queen turns the glistening points of light into larger splodges, but I suspect that's more noticeable because both characters are placed closely together. She'd probably look fine framed on her own.

And, oops, seems the Alien's jaw is hollow on the bottom! :)

Shall be seeing if some metallic glitter effects might be better, tomorrow!
[close]

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Wondering if glass shaders, instead of water, might give more authentic reflectivity. Especially frosted or with small metallic flakes in the material.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It certainly looks better. Especially on the Queen.

Can't hurt to give it a go!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Experimented with glassy materials, but it looked less like a smoother version of liquid and more like it was literally encased in glass.

So, keeping in mind a few things I had read up on, last night, I decided to do away with geoshells and exploit a unique feature of Iray. Namely, that it has three different layers you can individually activate and control. One's the base, another controls metallic flakes and the last allows for a more fluid-like sheen... After some experimentation with that, I think I've got a decent effect!

If it's possible to refine it some more, I'll try. But if not, I'm pleased to have at least achieved this much.

Spoiler
This was the moment I felt a good balance had been struck. It's far too easy to go from something with a flat matte look, to something which is overly shiny and metallic. This one felt more like it was a wet surface.

http://sentinalysis.deviantart.com/art/Alien-Iray-Glistening-Environmental-Lighting-571393368

Then attempted to change the lighting from generic environmental to a more focused studio arrangement with lots of shadows. The same surface settings seem to hold up fairly well.

http://sentinalysis.deviantart.com/art/Alien-Iray-Glistening-Studio-Lighting-571393677
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

This is really nice. I think this works pretty damn well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed